SCT X4 Error........

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
Simple, I have been prompt to update for long time. Just never update X4 will work perfectly fine. NEVER UPDATE, EVER

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
SCT's support right now is absolutely pathetic. Called last week and spent 20 minutes on hold, never got anyone. Called today at 4:25 and stayed on hold for 35 minutes. Around the 28 minute mark, the hold music just stopped. Call was still connected, but didn't hear anything. So I hung up and called back. Now when you call, and select the "support" option, an automated message tells you that their support staff is at max capacity, and then hangs up.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SCT's support right now is absolutely pathetic. Called last week and spent 20 minutes on hold, never got anyone. Called today at 4:25 and stayed on hold for 35 minutes. Around the 28 minute mark, the hold music just stopped. Call was still connected, but didn't hear anything. So I hung up and called back. Now when you call, and select the "support" option, an automated message tells you that their support staff is at max capacity, and then hangs up.

Remember when companies gave a shit about earning your business? Oh, those were the days.

Laga

Reaction score
Have you tried their “Urgent” email address? It on their website. About 2 weeks ago, I got a response in less than an hour.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried their “Urgent” email address? It on their website. About 2 weeks ago, I got a response in less than an hour.
I may give that a shot. This is really inconvenient at this point. My car is now stuck on an E85 tune.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So did you only update the software?
I would try a system restore to the last saved checkpoint before the update.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
So did you only update the software?
I would try a system restore to the last saved checkpoint before the update.
I did nothing out of the ordinary. I got a new revision from Lito, downloaded the tune to my laptop, plugged my tuner in, opened the Device Updater software, it then prompted me for an update (I've always just allowed the updates in the past since I've never had a problem with it.). Update completed, and then when I went to load the tune, Device Updater showed no tunes currently on my device. This was my first red flag. Then it failed to load my new revision, and then I noticed the com error on the device.

I have tried updating the device per SCT instructions to no affect. I have tried this with both the newest version of device updater, and an older version.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Gotcha.
Does the x4 power up ok?
If it does, what is the status of it? Married or unlocked? I forget where exactly that is in the menu.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I can't access any menu on the device. When it's powered up, it has a splash screen with the "X4" logo, and then it goes straight to the "device comm error" screen.

If I plug it into my laptop, I can see that it is "married" in the device updater software.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ouch. Unfortunately, it sounds like the firmware on the x4 got hosed. That sux man.
I did update my x4 when I got the PRP software. Took forever, it updated a bunch of files. It looked like all the canned tumes for all supported vehicles. I think there are only 2 files needed for the X4 to run and load custom tunes.
I think you will need to send the device to SCT. They will likely have to Jtag it and reflash the prom.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Ouch. Unfortunately, it sounds like the firmware on the x4 got hosed. That sux man.
I did update my x4 when I got the PRP software. Took forever, it updated a bunch of files. It looked like all the canned tumes for all supported vehicles. I think there are only 2 files needed for the X4 to run and load custom tunes.
I think you will need to send the device to SCT. They will likely have to Jtag it and reflash the prom.
I think you are probably correct. The times I have tried to update it, it looks like its working - does the same thing you mentioned with installing/downloading a ton of files. But when it gets to the end it says it failed.

Just wish SCT would get back to me or pick up the phone so I can get it on track to being replaced/repaired. I'd really rather not fork out another 399 for a new one. Thanks for the help though!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I am guessing you have Windows 10, its DEP has caused many headaches for a lot of ppl. Right click on "this pc", properies, advanced. And change the Data Execution Prevention setting to the top option. Or atleast add the SCT executables to the exception list.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I am guessing you have Windows 10, its DEP has caused many headaches for a lot of ppl. Right click on "this pc", properies, advanced. And change the Data Execution Prevention setting to the top option. Or atleast add the SCT executables to the exception list.
Just checked this, DEP is already set on the top option, or "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". Thanks for the help.

Just sent an email to them today via their "urgent" address.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
SCT just called me out of the blue. I guess I had given them my phone number at some point in one of the contact forms. The representative remoted into my laptop and back dated the device to older firmware, and then ran the update again. He left when the device started downloading all of the "Tune Revision Updates". He said this will take a few hours. After this is complete, he said it should function basically like a new tuner. Lost all my custom tunes and stock file. Fortunately I have the custom tunes backed up.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Device finished its updates yesterday, reloaded custom tunes to the X4, took it out to my car and it wouldn't allow me tune it due to a "stock file missing" error. Started a chat with them this afternoon about it and after about 90 minutes in the chat (there was a lot of waiting on my end) he tells me I need to call in, and they'll need access to the tuner and the vehicle. I asked if there was a way to schedule a call instead of having to wait on hold (and possibly not even get an answer), he responded and tells me they have 70 people in line right now, and immediately ended the chat. This is absolutely infuriating.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is late and wont help now. But there is a way to save your stock file from the x4. It creates a file about 12 megs. Cant really do anything with it as far as I can tell. But, I do believe when loading a custom tune, the device reads some info from that file.

I really hate this locked to this or cant access that or need to license a file, with these new cars. Much prefer the way of the past. Read my pcm, modify file, flash to piggyback chip.
No bs required. lol
Atleast you are making progress.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Called twice just now, after holding for about 3 minutes, the automated system tells me that they are at maximum capacity and hangs up.

Sorry for the rant at this point, this is just really pushing my buttons.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is late and wont help now. But there is a way to save your stock file from the x4. It creates a file about 12 megs. Cant really do anything with it as far as I can tell. But, I do believe when loading a custom tune, the device reads some info from that file.

I really hate this locked to this or cant access that or need to license a file, with these new cars. Much prefer the way of the past. Read my pcm, modify file, flash to piggyback chip.
No bs required. lol
Atleast you are making progress.
I do agree, I should have made a back up of the stock file a long time ago. That is my fault. Now I know! Anyone reading this should back up their file right now!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
It seems every tuming solution has it's pros and cons.
Hptuners reads your file, and.that is your starting point. One piece of hardware can do many cars, just buy credits. Software works with the vcm editor or nguage as far as I know.

Sct locks their tumes. You cant even copy a tune from the x4. You start with an sct stock file. Costs about same as HPT. Works om if you are an organized guy. lol

Diablo has the best file handling. Saved stock tune can be pulled from device, custom tumes can be pulled from device. But you cant buy software to edit diablo tunes. Well, you can, if you want to spend $2500 for the Chipmaster editor. Not worth it for a personal tuning solution.

Yea, I did some research for options, but already had the X4. So PRP it was.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back