Stock 06 GT idle rough on start-up

Robotech

Reaction score
Okay, got a little problem here guys. My fiance's 06 GT manual (bone stock other than a K&N filter...) started having idle problems when it was first fired up. It would surge and act like it was going to die until you gave it a little gas and then it would smooth out.

However the problem has gotten worse and now she says that it's doing it even after warming it up. We're getting no SES light.

I'm thinking a dirty MAF...maybe the K&N filter was a little over oiled when we bought it, gunked the MAF, and/or something is in there fouling the thing up. Other than that, what else could it be?

Also, and this is going to sound lame, but I haven't looked for the MAF under the hood yet and we don't have any kind of service manual. Can anyone point me in the general direction of where the MAF is in this car? I mean, I know it's somewhere in the intake stream but is it going to be easy to get to or a royal PITA?

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Random, what are you doing in the V6 section?

Clean the MAF and lightly re-oil the filter after you clean and dry it. It's between the filter and the throttle body. It has wires plugged into it.

Reaction score
Random, what are you doing in the V6 section?

Clean the MAF and lightly re-oil the filter after you clean and dry it. It's between the filter and the throttle body. It has wires plugged into it.

what are YOU doing in the v6 section! haha. i saw the "GT" v6 forum heading and was like wtf and decided to investigate.

Robotech

Reaction score
DOUGH...missclicked on the wrong $%$#( forum link!!!! My bad fellas and thanks for the help...

...I'm going to go off and kick my azz for being inattentive now before I go clean the MAF.

Robotech

Reaction score
Okay, so I got the MAP out and....yea....looks nothing like a GM MAP. How the hell am I supposed to clean this thing, it's completely enclosed.

So I put it back together, checked the connections, cleaned the filter, started the car back up and same condition. It idles really low, stumbles, and generally just doesn't sound smooth.

I talked to my fiance about the maintenance she's done on the car. The car only has 46K on the clock but other than basic oil/filter/air filter cleanings and inspecting fluids no other work has been done...so this means the fuel filter has not been changed. I see according to the manual it should have been done about 16K ago. So my next step just to eliminate it from the equasion and...well...it needs to be done. I didn't see it jump out at me in the engine bay so I'm assuming they've tucked it somewhere else. In my GP they put the stupid thing under the car so you have to jack it up and are definately going to get gas on you when you change it...I hope this isn't the case here.

Mods, please make me look like less of a GMDB (that's GM D-Bag) and move this to the appropriate forum? Thank you!

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
It may be the electronics in the throttle body itself. My car was experiencing rough idle, surging, stumble, etc... It was also a little twitchy and increasingly made it difficult to shift on occasion. The lion's share of the problem came upon start ups. Once the car was up to operating temperture, the problem ceased.

One morning the car finally said, "Enough!" I had a hell of a time getting her started. I decided to take it around the block. It stopped at every stop sign or red light. I took it limping to the stealership. It must have stalled 8-9 times on the way there. Thank God I bought an extended warranty because it was covered! They replaced the throttle body and my Stang magically had a better idle and definately shifted better!

This may be a longshot but maybe you can get a buddy to lend you the TBs electronics just to rule this out.
Best of luck!

Gerardo

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
My friend had a rough idle with his GT after starting it up this spring. He let the battery sit in the car all winter without a charge. The ford dealer had him try to reset his cars fuel trim strategy and it cleared up the rough idle issue.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ford dealer had him try to reset his cars fuel trim strategy and it cleared up the rough idle issue.
How Does this work? The reason I ask is because I have a car doing the same thing after sitting and the battery going dead.

Reaction score
i had the same prob with my v6 and it turned out to be the egr valve. i new one is like 125 bucks but if u take it out yourself and use some carb cleaner it should help. i dont know how much of an affect it would have on a gt but my v6 is fine now.

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
How Does this work? The reason I ask is because I have a car doing the same thing after sitting and the battery going dead.

Let car idle until operating temp(15 minutes should be more than enough), turn off, disconnect negative terminal on battery for 60 seconds, reattach battery, start car with A/C turned off and let idle for 60 seconds, then turn the A/C on and let idle for 60 seconds. Once you do all of this drive the car at least 10 miles to allow it to relearn the fuel trims.

This procedure helps cars with dead batteries, and helped me when I bumped up my injector size. Its free and worth a shot

NIXTANG

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem........and it's a simple fix! TAKE OFF YOUR THROTTLE BODY AND GIVE IT A CLEANING!!!!!!!

The computers in our cars are sooooo sensitive. I had the exact same issue with my 2005 GT, took off the tb, and it had just a tiny bit of dirt/sludge built up, cleaned it, and presto, problem solved!!!!

And in case you're wondering, I run nothing but 94 octane in my car, and even though it's "cleaner" gas, it still happened.

big-j

Reaction score
i un hook my batt over winter and its never died but iv only had the car for 2 years mine use to run ruff if i started it and back up and put it in neutral idk y but it stoped doin it

Robotech

Reaction score
Let car idle until operating temp(15 minutes should be more than enough), turn off, disconnect negative terminal on battery for 60 seconds, reattach battery, start car with A/C turned off and let idle for 60 seconds, then turn the A/C on and let idle for 60 seconds. Once you do all of this drive the car at least 10 miles to allow it to relearn the fuel trims.

This procedure helps cars with dead batteries, and helped me when I bumped up my injector size. Its free and worth a shot

Actually, yes it DID have the battery die before all this started! I'll give this a try and see if it works.

I have a programmer for my GP, wish I had one for the Mustang now...:(

20Mustang10

Reaction score
Actually, yes it DID have the battery die before all this started! I'll give this a try and see if it works.

I have a programmer for my GP, wish I had one for the Mustang now...:(

If its still running rough you might want to check the IAC, Idle air control. I had issues with my mustang a while ago and it sounds like the same issue

Robotech

Reaction score
Okay, so I did the fuel trim reset and it seemed to get better but now it's back to doing it again and this time it seems worse. It died five times just this morning. So what else may it be? I'm almost to the point where I'm just about to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out but I have a very jaded view of dealerships and feel if I'm not figuring it out niether will they...yet still maybe they know something I don't.

NIXTANG

Reaction score
Please, do your self a favor.............like I said, try giving the throttle body a cleaning!!!!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back