strategy code for 2006 V6 manual 5 speed

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Is there a list someplace for the 2006 V6 strategy codes & PCM id code?
I have a 2006 V6 with Ford Performance CAI & Cat back duals. It came without the tuner, as most keep them and screw the next owner. I cannot afford to mess up my PONY so any help will be appreciated. I have been searching for a week online, so I figured it was time to ask.
So I do not know if I have the correct tune or not. However it runs great.
I bought an SCT X4 tuner and now have the strategy code FBIS2BY, the sticker on unit says SZS0.
I will be calling Brenspeed on Monday.
Thanks

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The SZS0 is your "TearTag" and it never matches what the X4 reports. The FBIS2BY is how SCT tuner ID's the PCM. What you see seems correct to me, nothing to worry about.
Monitor STFT and LTFT with the X4. They should be hovering around 0 +/- a few percent.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
The SZS0 is your "TearTag" and it never matches what the X4 reports. The FBIS2BY is how SCT tuner ID's the PCM. What you see seems correct to me, nothing to worry about.
Monitor STFT and LTFT with the X4. They should be hovering around 0 +/- a few percent.

Ok,
Thanks for the fast reply.
I plugged in the new SCT tuner and took photo of the strategy code that came up. FBIS2BY.
I found the sticker on the frame that holds the PCM. Toke a photo of that as well. SZS0 .
So do you think that is a SCT strategy code or a stock FORD code?
I am trying to figure out if I actually have a tune in there or stock, But if it was stock it probably would not be running so great? And probably lean?
My main goal was to save my existing tune, but I guess that cannot be done unless I install a new "tune".
I have worked on $2 million dollar industrial machines that were less complicated with files and saving & altering PLC's .
JUST trying to be careful here as most Ford dealers are almost an hour away, and to be truthful, I have not found them of much help with this situation. Because of the 2 Ford Performance mods.

flyingmanx

Reaction score

Well I am getting an education on YouTube about SCT STFT & LTFT now. This should help me understand a bit better. Thanks
KenK

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you cannot "save" your stock tune as a tune file. It will be saved in the X4 as the original file. You have to "unmarry" the X4, aka: restore to stock. Then the current tune is restored. Tuned or stock, I can't tell you, as I never tried to use an X4 on an already tuned car. I think SCT support would be able to answer your question. They have always been great and answered my questions.

That is the only thing I really don't like about SCT. You cannot pull a tune file from the X4, stock or last written tune. I have the full package, x4 and PRP software.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you cannot "save" your stock tune as a tune file. It will be saved in the X4 as the original file. You have to "unmarry" the X4, aka: restore to stock. Then the current tune is restored. Tuned or stock, I can't tell you, as I never tried to use an X4 on an already tuned car. I think SCT support would be able to answer your question. They have always been great and answered my questions.

That is the only thing I really don't like about SCT. You cannot pull a tune file from the X4, stock or last written tune. I have the full package, x4 and PRP software.
Hi;
SCT was not much help. They said I may not be able to install a tune, but I had to start a new tune to find out. Not sure you can cancel a new tune after you start through the steps. I do not want to find out by locking up my PCM
KenK

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
It is pretty safe and reversible. If you dont like the canned tune or it doesn't run right, just "restore to stock". No harm no foul. Just don't interrupt the flash, and make sure the battery is fully charged. Put a charger on it if you have one, just to be safe.

You need to research the CAI if it is a tune required on NO tune required intake. If it is a "NO tune required" one, your car is likely untuned and bone stock.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
It is pretty safe and reversible. If you dont like the canned tune or it doesn't run right, just "restore to stock". No harm no foul. Just don't interrupt the flash, and make sure the battery is fully charged. Put a charger on it if you have one, just to be safe.

You need to research the CAI if it is a tune required on NO tune required intake. If it is a "NO tune required" one, your car is likely untuned and bone stock.
Hi;
My CAI is a Ford Performance CAI it needs a tune, but not sure it is listed in SCT's setup. Or at least that is what I was told. And mine has the 91 sticker on gas cap door and by CAI area
shock mount
KenK

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You can go as far as selecting available preprogrammed CAIs, its the options after x4 saves stock. If your CAI is not the list, you can cancel out and your current tune will be unchanged. But the x4 is now married to your car without flashing a new tune.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
You can go as far as selecting available preprogrammed CAIs, its the options after x4 saves stock. If your CAI is not the list, you can cancel out and your current tune will be unchanged. But the x4 is now married to your car without flashing a new tune.
Thanks
Married to my PONY is not a problem as long as I can add a tune later if needed?
I am going to call Brenspeed on Monday and discuss it with them anyway.
Thanks again for all the replies

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Married is the only way you can add tunes!
FYI If you end up going with a custom tune, it may disable the preloaded ones.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Married is the only way you can add tunes!
FYI If you end up going with a custom tune, it may disable the preloaded ones.
###
Oh right, I forgot about that. You cannot use preloads after a custom tune.
Maybe I will just try to load a tune Monday. I need my Pony tomorrow, but Tomorrow I will do the Data Logging and see what it does. Then Monday try a tune. If it works I will have a tune that I know what is in it. And have my existing tune saved besides. I can always go back.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Hi
Set up my SCT X4 for STFT & LTFT. I am getting. .98 to 1.02 on STFT.. my LTFT was 1.05 b1 and 1.02 n b2. But I did not drive very far. I will try again tomorrow.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Hi
Set up my SCT X4 for STFT & LTFT. I am getting. .98 to 1.02 on STFT.. my LTFT was 1.05 b1 and 1.02 n b2. But I did not drive very far. I will try again tomorrow.
That tune is perfect. Maybe a tic lean overall. As LTFT are adding a little (5%/2%) but definitely not a concern.

Last edited:

flyingmanx

Reaction score
That tune is perfect. Maybe a tic lean overall. As LTFT are adding a little (5%/2%) but definitely not a concern.
############
Hi, UPDATE
I had to go about 70 miles today, so I did a SCT X4 data log.
My LTFT came out 1.02 on both banks.
I also found a list of 4.0L strategy codes. On CoreTuning.net.
It gave me these.
Model. Mustang
SubType 4.0L
Year 2006
Filename FBIS2BY
PCM:
Strategy FBIS2
Interface J2534
when I add in the SZS0 tag it goes to:
FBIS2M3 instead of my FBIS2BY
Model: Mustang
SubType: 4.0L
Year: 2006
Filename: FBIS2M3
PCM: SZS0
Strategy: FBIS2
Interface: J2534

Thanks
KenK

upload_2020-7-2_13-11-32.gif

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like Ford may have had a pcm update and that could have updated the strategy, only the last digits changed. Basically means updated part. Nothing to be concerned with as you are/will be running the sct tune.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Looks like Ford may have had a pcm update and that could have updated the strategy, only the last digits changed. Basically means updated part. Nothing to be concerned with as you are/will be running the sct tune.
######
Hi,
So do you think I already have a tune because of how it is running, or should I go ahead and use the SCT X4 preloaded tune and adjust it for my CAI & tires? I could always go back it I do not like it. And of course my existing tune will be saved on SCT .
** I am thinking I should do the SCT tune then record those results too.
Thanks
Ken Kushi

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You will know pretty much right away when you start it after you load the sct tume. If it is hard to start or wont idle after a minute, stop. And return to stock.
I think you said the cai needed a tune. Im thinking its the ford tune from a pro-cal possibly.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
You will know pretty much right away when you start it after you load the sct tume. If it is hard to start or wont idle after a minute, stop. And return to stock.
I think you said the cai needed a tune. Im thinking its the ford tune from a pro-cal possibly.
###########$
Ok, now I get it.
Yes the Ford Performance CAI did/does require a tune. They actually offered a CAI & SCT X3 with 3 tunes as a package .
I am just a bit cautious messing with the computer.
But I worked on $2 million extruders and had to program the Programable Logic Computers in them. Except we could run a demo of changes first. Of course they were not my daily drive ..
Will probably try it Tomorrow.
Thanks again
KenK

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back