suspension setup/progress steps

Discussion in 'Drift Racing Tech Discussion' started by C.Love, Jan 16, 2013.

1. C.Love

C.Love forum member

So obviously out of the factory these cars aren't made to drift spectacularly and few are. Question is what will it take to maintain a perfectly smooth and fluid drift? Obviously a few well chosen parts and you are golden and serious hard parts make it even better.

If someone had a parts list of things to buy in a specific order what would it be? I ask as I am trying hard to choose a few correct parts and just have fun instead of busting my balls and spending myself into debt

From prior experience for me
    -replace worn or broken stuff

-coilovers--stiffer and lower = better to a point of course

-arms--to help get the alignment specs back also to correct geometry

-sway bars??? I removed these on my 240-went from suspension techniques to nada and the car still handled brilliantly. My thought is I was low enough and the springs stiff enough it neggated the affects of the sways

-chassis stiffing? my old car was a creeky pile so i caged it for tandem and cause it was floppy. the stang is new and it wont see a cage for a long time if ever. Any other braces that would be recommended

-knuckles---the reason is obvious here

-endlinks??--- specifically for the sway bar links. I was looking around and it seemed too low and there are issues? who makes some good ones?

Currently the parts on order for my car are coilovers and a panhard. what is best next step? my thoughts rear upper arm, rear lower arms and relocation brackets.

2. LS1EATINPONY

LS1EATINPONY The Banker

You seem to be in the right direction. I would go ahead do some knuckles if possible. Makes a big difference. The thing with sway bars seems to be a preference. It seems that most people tend to take the rear sway bar off when they get serious about it. The car is usually able to be tuned to get grip where it needs it with the coilovers. Ive also read where alot of people keep the stock fron sway bar and just get adjustable endlinks to get the desired effect for grip up front.

3. dcjones

dcjones forum member

I went cheap at first.

D-Specs
    H&R Super Sport Springs
    Adjustable Rear Bar

Changed all the rear control arms to spherical bushings

Removing the rack limiter helped with angle.

At some point you will need a better LSD. I highly recommend a T2R

This set up worked great for stock power levels.

4. LS1EATINPONY

LS1EATINPONY The Banker

Yea ill agree with the LSD part as well. The stok one is ok but it seems like it hinders the car at times. Mine seems to lock and unlock alot. Or so it seems becaus my car will feel like its got grip running through a course and the next run it will lose it in a spot that it felt grippy. The only thing I can think of is that its the diff trying to open

5. dafridgea

dafridgea forum member

From prior experience for me
    -replace worn or broken stuff

-coilovers--I use BCRacing BR Type with adjustable caster camber

-arms--I use stock in the front and in the rear Mustang Drift Spec from ASD - Call David at ASD they might have some or can make you some

-sway bars??? - I installed Adjustable Anti-roll bar Kit (Front and Rear) from Hellwig

-chassis stiffing? - Sway bars

-knuckles--- This is the best upgrade to get after you have coilovers!

-endlinks??--- specifically for the sway bar links. I was looking around and it seemed too low and there are issues? who makes some good ones?
    - Hellwig - There 3 way adjustable

Currently the parts on order for my car are coilovers and a panhard. what is best next step? my thoughts rear upper arm, rear lower arms and relocation brackets.

- Steeda relocation brackets for sure or weld in BMR relocation brackets.

Here is a list of some of my upgrades - I have a 2007 V6 197

From http://www.mustangdrift.com/
    BC Racing Suspension/coilovers - BR Type
    MPD - Lower Control Arms
    Wheel Stud Kit - ARP Fastener Kit
    Adjustable Anti-roll bar Kit (Front and Rear) from Hellwig

Got these from Americanmuscle.com:
    C&L Mustang Cold Air Intake and SCT SF3 Tuner Combo (05-09 V6)
    SCT Dash Scan Data Monitor
    NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs
    Taylor Mustang Street Thunder Spark Plug Wires (05-09 V6)
    SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel
    SPEC Stage 2 Clutch

This from http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/
    Yukon Rear end master kit
    7.5" Motive 4.10 Gears
    7.5" Ford Racing LSD

Wheels:
    18" Deep Dish Wheels

Federal Drift Tires 235-40-18

Mustangmagic.com -
    Steeda Panhard Bar
    MagnaFlow Dual Exhausts