Throw out bearing woes

teeje

Reaction score
I just put in a exedy lightweight flywheel a exedy stage 2 clutch and a ford performance pilot bearing and the throw out bearing that came with the kit and what do you know. The TOB is making a crap ton of noise after 700 miles. I've done research but I can't seem to find good answers ok whay the best TOB would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

travelers

Reaction score
OEM Ford, I just installed a T56 and used a stock Ford in that setup with no problems.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I've run the Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 kits in two previous cars -- making 507RWHP and 568RWHP respectively-- and had nothing but great luck with them. Beat on them at the track and on the street and they kept on working. I used the Exedy Slave Cylinder (no throw out bearing in 05+ Mustangs, they are all hydraulic actuated btw) that came with the kit in each case.

Guess it possibly depends on your definition of "a crap ton of noise". Performance upgrades often equate to increased driveline noise. They were no more noisy than the stock slave cylinder in either case.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The throwout bearing shouldn't make much if any audible noise. Clutch chatter or something like that would be a different.

teeje

Reaction score
It is an FTE. Noise goes away when clutch is pressed in only makes a noise at idle

teeje

Reaction score
If they're both FTE, then what's the difference between ford and the one that came with the exedy kit?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Nothing if it came with an FTE, usually you can see the Ford logo or where is was machined off on the FTE unit.

Personally I am not a fan of other than stock clutches on these cars. I had the Mach 500 clutch with matching flywheel from Exedy and went through 3 slave cylinders. Others here have had similar experiences. Usually its the slave failing and not the bearing causing the need for replacement. The bottom line is no part of the hydraulic system was made for the extra load put on it by the heavier pressure plate. My stock clutch and hydraulics went 70k miles, the Exedy didn't make it 20k. like I said I went through 3 slave cylinders (and one master cylinder) in this time.

teeje

Reaction score
Nothing if it came with an FTE, usually you can see the Ford logo or where is was machined off on the FTE unit.

Personally I am not a fan of other than stock clutches on these cars. I had the Mach 500 clutch with matching flywheel from Exedy and went through 3 slave cylinders. Others here have had similar experiences. Usually its the slave failing and not the bearing causing the need for replacement. The bottom line is no part of the hydraulic system was made for the extra load put on it by the heavier pressure plate. My stock clutch and hydraulics went 70k miles, the Exedy didn't make it 20k. like I said I went through 3 slave cylinders (and one master cylinder) in this time.
My clutch and pp are holding up just fine. I think the pressure plate I got with my stage 2 is not much heavier than stock, if any. But I do believe its the bearing and not the slave itself. I have a steel braided line, and i also replaced the clutch master cylinder too while i had everything apart. Im all for replacing that TOB, its not causing any issues or leaking, just noisy. In fact, the clutch was replaced awhile back and it was the same exact brand. My old TOB made the same exact noise.

teeje

Reaction score
So, im leaning towards replacing it. Debating on Ford/Centerforce. But the ford part is the same FTE brand :argh:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
My clutch and pp are holding up just fine. I think the pressure plate I got with my stage 2 is not much heavier than stock, if any. But I do believe its the bearing and not the slave itself. I have a steel braided line, and i also replaced the clutch master cylinder too while i had everything apart. Im all for replacing that TOB, its not causing any issues or leaking, just noisy. In fact, the clutch was replaced awhile back and it was the same exact brand. My old TOB made the same exact noise.
The slave and the TOB are an assembly, you can't replace them separately. Hence my talking about the slave cylinder.
It's confusing when you say your old set up made the same noise, is it a problem or not? If the old parts made the same exact noises you need to consider the input shaft bearings or something inside the trans failing.

teeje

Reaction score
The slave and the TOB are an assembly, you can't replace them separately. Hence my talking about the slave cylinder.
It's confusing when you say your old set up made the same noise, is it a problem or not? If the old parts made the same exact noises you need to consider the input shaft bearings or something inside the trans failing.
When I replaced it,the noise wasnt there but came back after a few thousand miles making me to believe the TOB is toast. And yes I'm aware the TOB/Slave is an assembly.

travelers

Reaction score
Do you keep your left foot on the floor or ready to use the clutch? With these cars it doesn't take much pressure on the peddle to engage the TB with the pressure plate, which will take out the bearing fast.

teeje

Reaction score
Nope, never ride the clutch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Define CRAP TON. And make a video with audio of the "crap ton" of noise and post it so it can be better diagnosed. It doesn't require a 20 minute presentation, just a 30 second or shorter clip of the noise. It may be an actual issue, or it may just be the nature of the beast. Until more detailed information can be provided people can only throw spit wads at the chalkboard and hope they stick.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back