Throw out bearing woes

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
dex 3 non synth change yearly until you go to a T56 magnum xl....

teeje

Reaction score
So, the noise has been reduces quite a bit since the changed to redline mt90. There is still some clattering coming form the trans. Its not the TOB but the trans itself. Ive read some noise is normal but I dont know what normal sounds like to other people. Is there anything else I can do to quiet it down some? When I first changed to mt90 the noise was almost completely gone. Its back but less than before.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of anything you can do to quiet the transmission down. You've changed fluid and filled to the proper level, nothing else you can do. I'm just a shade tree mechanic and taught myself how to rebuild the TR3650 because the first shop I went to for a quote pissed me off. I've done it twice now. My first rebuild was quiet and smooth. My second rebuild sucked. I thinks its one of the needle bearing's the gears ride on. Those don't come with a standard rebuild kit.

It's hard to say what the problem is without looking inside. There are 4 major bearings for the input, output, and countershaft. Then all of the gears ride on needle bearings when not engaged with thrust washers between each of them. Also a thrust bearing and caged pocket bearing between the input and output shaft. Could be any of those. Glad you got the royal purple out of there. If the carbon fiber lining on your blocking rings is worn down just enough there might be enough clearance or run-out to make some noise as well.

I would let it be and drive it. If your intent is to keep the car long term, then try to pick up a used TR3650 from the salvage yard. They can be had for as little as $350 bucks. Then you will have a spare transmission ready to go in just in case. Then teach yourself how to rebuild the noisy one.

If you can pass high school algebra you can figure out these manuals. There is only about 40 pages here with more pictures than words.

http://www.s197forum.com/threads/3650-tear-down-install.115772/#post-2073722

Attachments

• TR3650 Assembly.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • TR3650 Disasembly.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • TR3650 Output Shaft.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • TR3650 Input Shaft and Bearing.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • TR3650 Tourque Specs.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back