Tire Clearance Advise

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise for tire clearance combined with street driving and racing. Disclaimer is I'm not switching to a smaller tire simply because the largest size down M/T would be a 295/60. I'd like a 315 but only come in 60 or 65 and I want to stick with a 28" tire, mainly due to the 4.10 gears and I like the look. Waiting for some M&H ROD-17s but are on backorder. Section width is about 1" narrower than the M/Ts so that could take care of the problem for street driving and use the M/Ts for the track.

Problem: Tires rubbing wheel well lip, probably on the freeway at higher speeds crossing over bridge junctions. I ran M/T ET Street before and had Steeda Ultra Lites (1.5" drop) in the rear and didn't rub. But that was 10 years ago. I did tighten up the D-Specs to minimize the bounce but it didn't help. The shocks are 12 years old, so maybe they're done.

Set-up: Weld RTS S71 15X10, M/T ET Street R (Radial) 325/50 15, Tokico D-Specs with BMR springs (SP012, 1.5" drop) rear and Steeda Ultra Lites (1.25" drop) front. Bump stops are cut to the second knob. There is 1.5 - 2" clearance between the bump stop and frame. There's about 2" clearance between the fender well lip and where it rubs the tire.

Possible Solutions:

M&H tires may take care of the problem on the street, but it'd be close.

Taller springs, maybe Cobra Jets which lower the car 1". Or Steeda Sports which lower 1.25".

Cut only the first knob of the bump stops. Not liking this option as I'd like the springs to do the work.

Different shocks. Not looking for the auto x options, so a lot of the higher end adjustable are a waste to me. I just need about .5". Not sure the D-Specs are done.

What are some thoughts on this?

20210513_175235.jpg 20210513_175225.jpg 20210513_175246.jpg

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fixed.

Also started getting a sway in the rear end when going 60+. Felt like at the top of the track on bias-ply tires. Talked to Deon at BMR and he suggested bad differential bushing as I still had the OEM. BMR UCA was about 12 years old, so figured I'd replace that along with the OEM mount. Turns out the UCA bushing was shot and the mount probably tweaked a bit. The UCA had a lot of side to side play in the mount, hence the swaying.

Just went for a test drive and the rear is definitely firmer, no swaying and no rubbing on the tires. Bought the Viking Warrior DA shocks as the D-Specs are getting old, but they're running about 4 weeks for shipping.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MT also makes a 295 55 in the ET Street SS. 28 12.5 equivalent. Thats what i run on my Welds.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran those for a couple of years until I got a flat a month ago. Never really liked them, traction was always an issue, hence ordered the M&H's, but are still on back order, so jumped on the ET Street Rs. I know it's the same R2 compound as the SS, but they have softer sidewalls and can definitely tell the difference, I can actually hook in 3rd. Just can't get caught in the rain with them.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To freaking much. This needs to stop... Car's getting lonely just sitting in the garage. LOL

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back