Tire recommendations? weekend cruising/autocross

Discussion in 'Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion' started by Blk06GT, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Blk06GT

Blk06GT Junior Member

2006 GT 400whp. Looking to do some autocross this year. Currently have 7 or 8 year old Nitto NT555 on the car so they need to be replaced (are basically rocks at this point). Obviously autocross specific wheels/comp tire would be ideal but that’s not in the cards right now. Want something that will be sticky enough for a few autocross or track day events but also want to be able take the car on the Power Tour, or weekend road trip without having to buy a new set of tires halfway through. Anyone have any experience with the NT05 compared to the NT555? Any other recommendations?

Cars been sitting in the garage past couple years with hardly any use, want to get back out enjoying it again.

2. EBABlacknChrome

EBABlacknChrome forum member

Michelin pilot super sports are great for track and street. So depending on how hard you plan on pushing the car but these tires should last for maybe 3 track days, and plenty of cruises and maybe more. The indy 500 tires are a nice choice as well for a lot less money. Tires you listed on have no experience with. I have Continental extreme sport tires now that have also been great for track and street as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

GlassTop09 and Blk06GT like this.
  3. Racer47

Racer47 Doesn't have much to say S197 Team Member

4. Blk06GT

Blk06GT Junior Member

That’s a great article! Thanks.

Racer47 likes this.
  5. AHaze

AHaze Member

If regular high performance tires are turning hard before you wear them out then there's little reason not to step up to 200 TW rubber. Regularly having to drive the car in wet conditions would be the only thing that would make me think twice.

6. Juice

Juice forum member

Falken Azenis 615 or the new 660. If you can find them and in the size you need. I was going to get the 660s to try them. I got a set of the 615K on the fox. 420 rwhp. I have run these at Watkins Glen, so yea, they work. Excelent in the rain too. Dont expect them to last for much more than 10k.
    https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt660-tire

Blk06GT and Mach2burnout like this.
  7. SVT Rider

SVT Rider Junior Member

This! Safest tire for usage across the board: track/autocross and summer road. The Michelin Super Sports were replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S (they wanted to keep with a consistent naming across their tire segments). The Pilot Sport 4S are superb in the rain. They don't need warming up like a R-comp which is ideal for Autocross.

Another option that is a favorite among autocross is the Bridgestone RE-71R, but those are often size limited for wider Mustang sizes. They favor the Miata and smaller cars with their sizing options.

Kobie and EBABlacknChrome like this.
  8. Mach2burnout

Mach2burnout 05 Redfire GT

Get one of these and don’t look back!
    Anyone who says Michelin SS’s are good for auto x, would love these Falkens.

The Michelins are expensive burnout tires. Just my opinion of course.

Top one is Falkin Azenis RT 615K+ and is very streetable and very good for auto x.

The bottom one is the Falken Azenis RT 660 and is the best auto x tire out there, hands down that is a streetable tire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blk06GT likes this.
  9. Blk06GT

Blk06GT Junior Member

Reading some reviews I’m liking those Falkens. Wheels are 9.5x18 front 10.5x18 rear. Looks like they have some sizes that would work on tirerack.

Car is not my daily and it’s unlikely it will see much rain. Unless i get caught in a surprise Florida downpour, if the forecast is wet I won’t take it out. The silver lining of having a kid hauler haha

10. Juice

Juice forum member

The 615s are superb in the rain I have run them at wet HPDE events. ;)
    They will "flat spot" sitting in the garage if parked for extended periods, they are that soft. And they thump for a mile or two and smooth out. But they can also stand up to the cold,where an NT01 would crack from cold. (Warning is on the labels about this)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    SVT Rider likes this.
  11. Mach2burnout

Mach2burnout 05 Redfire GT

Get you two more 10.5” wheels for the front and go 295/40/18 all around. Provided you have the right offset and backspacing they will clear with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pentalab likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.