Tires - ET, DR, Slicks, etc..

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
When you say radial slick do you mean like a net street radial? If so that’s what I ran in the past and they would hook with good prep or blow straight off as you said.
The bias ply option there are the stiff wall options from both and the softer, with the weight of these cars the stiff wall seems to be recommended, but I have also heard they are far more stable.
Do you remember the model of the ones you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, I mean an actual radial slick, I run the 28x10.5x15. If I run the bias ply I have always ran the softer sidewall, its not like the air pressure needs to be at 8 or 9psi to hook. I don't know what your car traps at, but I ran the wrinkle wall trapping at 156mph, while the wiggle is a little unnerving you get accustom to it. IMO give the bias ply softer side wall slicks a shot, make sure you get the tubes, you probably won't need to screw the rims and tires together at this point, but I would recommend marking the valve stem location on the tire just to verify the rim isn't spinning inside the tire on launch. With the bias ply slicks you will be able to let the car eat on launch.
https://mickeythompsontires.com/drag-tires/et-drag-radial

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have to run a DOT tire at my track for the open street events. The Hoosier QTP's are the best I've used. They have a DOT stamp but are not for highway use. With that said I drove them to and from the track about 16-18 miles, but never on a daily basis. Even drove home with them at at like 11-12 psi once when the compressor at the gas station was out. To and from the track I would inflate them to about 25-28 psi. Ran 15x11.5x28 on 10" rim.

Never ran tubes but I have experienced some wheel migration on the rim when I ran less than 10 psi.

For daily street duties in dry conditions you can't go wrong with the MT Street R or SS with the SS have slightly, and I mean slightly, better wet pavement traction. Standing water is your enemy when running any of the drag radials. I've run some Toyo R-compound tires (not their DR's or 888's), all of the Nitto DR's and MT Street Comp SS along with both their MT DR's. I have had the best success with Mickey Thompson. If you have regular rain I would look at the Street Comps as they are an R compound tire with some decent tread and tread depth. Otherwise either of the Street radials will do the best for you.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Sactown, are you auto or stick and what’s the weight of the car?
With a 1.2 60 you never had issues banging the rim of the track with the soft wall slicks? That was my concern in addition to the sway (I’m not nearly as fast 11lbs on sbe)

Boss, I’m not likely to run these on the streets
The qtp looked like a good option but I had heard others that run them say they were faster with a full slick (other chassis though)
What’s your car 60 like with them? (If I remember your car is/was close to mine (sbe with m122 @11lbs with 2.66 6060 and 4.10)

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
Sactown, are you auto or stick and what’s the weight of the car?
With a 1.2 60 you never had issues banging the rim of the track with the soft wall slicks? That was my concern in addition to the sway (I’m not nearly as fast 11lbs on sbe)

Boss, I’m not likely to run these on the streets
The qtp looked like a good option but I had heard others that run them say they were faster with a full slick (other chassis though)
What’s your car 60 like with them? (If I remember your car is/was close to mine (sbe with m122 @11lbs with 2.66 6060 and 4.10)

No I have never ever banged the rims off the track, neither when the car was a manual or now with the auto, not even when the car was factory weight, you don't run the soft walled slicks at 8 or 9 psi, I think I am at around 12 or 13 psi when i run them, and after a burnout they are probably at 13 or 14psi on launch.

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
Delete if not allowed.
Mickey Thompson (Pair of Slicks) P325-50R-5 ET Street Radials 15” x 10" mounted on polished Race Stars, 5 Lug, FORD bolt pattern is 114.3 or 4 1/2”, Back space is 7.25. with all the long lugs included. $500.

I am told they fit 05 to 2014 Mustangs. They may fit other years using spacers but they do Not fit Chevys. The max load is 1530 and 15 x 10 ET 44.4 is stamped on the inside of the rims.

I am at Exit 74 of I 95 Joppa MD. 25 miles North of Baltimore, MD. Price is Firm as the rims alone are the asking price: of $500.

I do not have a smart phone but I do check my computer a few times a day. (though retired I still have a life)

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great advice! One last thing I've been reading psi can be played with anywhere from 12 to 15, is that sound about right?

Mickey Thompson site says 14-18 psi for the drag radial ss.

Drag radial ss takes more air than a slick. My car only has 425 fwhp so that makes a big difference, but I ran the 275 MT radial SS on 15x10 wheel and 22 psi at the track. That 9.5 width means + or- 1 inch either way, typically. If you get too low for tire pressure it will get "floaty" on the top end. You want to run as much tire pressure as possible while still getting traction.

The MT SS radial is the best compromise but I would think you need a really good prepped track and at least basic suspension mods, boxed lower control arms, relocation brackets, adjustable rear shocks to get a manual to hook and be consistent. Yo will also need a driveshaft loop. I have used every drag radial and the MT is the one that's worked the best. I was never able to get my big block, manual trans chevelle to hook consistently with any drag radial on a moderately prepped track. Then there's the launch and all that, which will take a lot of practice.

As mentioned above by Nick, the stiff wall slicks are pretty much always used on stick cars from my experience and study. They worked great on my 69 chevelle, till transmission broke. Old school muncie m20.

Just my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

JBOJohnny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was looking at old threads but couldn't find exactly what I needed. Sorry if I missed a post please tag it so I can check it out. So I just purchased some 15x10's wheels and was looking into tires. I know with corona not much is happening but still doesn't stop me from doing what makes me happy. I have a 06 GT, stick and about 500hp to the wheels, I'm a noob to tire brands and specs. I was hoping to get some advice with specific brand of tire to use for best hook/launch without risking breaking my rear glass. I checked out the drag times and noticed some stick shift cars were using m/t et street radial. However when I do a google search there's different versions of that tire, Street pro, S/S and so on lol. Information regarding the tire exactly name would be great and links would be a bonus too! Thanks everyone, can't wait for all this craziness to pass so we can get back to doing what we love!

Mickey Thompson’s definitely. Great rebate program right now: https://dragracingwheels.com/blog/m...g-pro-bracket-radial-or-et-street-drag-tires/

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back