Trim turned white after "mothers back to black"

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I waxed my car the other day, and at the same time my girlfriend got the mothers back to black out that we had just bought for her explorer and used it on the trim around my windows. My trim now has white lines all through it and just a faded white look in general lol... Soooooo... That makes no sense.

What do I do now? :shrug:

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Did you get wax on the trim?

Degrease it all and use a better trim restoring product. Adams VRT and Poorboys World Trim Restorer are my favorite. Poorboys World seems to last longer for me. Chemical guys also has a few products that would work for you depending on whether you want a flat black or glossy finish.

28ONE

Reaction score
Sounds like wax build up...citrus soap with a toothbush should clean it up...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The car is less than a year old. Why do you need to put harsh 'restorer' like that on the trim? The trim is still new! All that crap does is eat off the top layer of plastic or rubber trying to get down to newer looking plastic underneath. You use that shit on old, ugly plastic, not new stuff. Crap like that is why you see 5 year old cars with the plastic trim all destroyed. Leave it the fuck alone, it will last longer.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't tell her to do it, she just started doing it. My trim was perfect and there was no reason to touch it.

Didn't expect it to harm it though... After all, that's what it's made for.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Okay. Any specific citrus soap? I just use dawn as far as dish washing soap so I'd have to go pick some up if that won't work

28ONE

Reaction score
no, you can try dawn or APC diluted at 1:10. Worst case the mother's stuff will eventually wear off...

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Dawn original dish washing soap and an old toothbrush did the trick btw. Took that crap right off.

Back