Tune of choice for bolt ons is?

Michael Zeda

Reaction score
Ive tried Steeda and Lito

I am changing from steeda cai to a Airaid CAI soon as it arrives.

Thought about Brenspeed .

Want to know what people are running these days on s197’s

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lito is well liked here. Many are very happy with him. More than anyone else I've read about.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lund and Lito

please review the tech posting rules - moved to Chat

Michael Zeda

Reaction score

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well then wait for him. He's worth it, and you won't gain a thing by jumping the gun and going elsewhere. Much more likely you will regret the jump and end up going back to Lito anyway.

Michael Zeda

Reaction score
Well then wait for him. He's worth it, and you won't gain a thing by jumping the gun and going elsewhere. Much more likely you will regret the jump and end up going back to Lito anyway.

I ran my tank down to fumes and threw in some 93 octane and switched to my Lito tune and it doesnt seem to pull same as my Steeda tune for 93. Lito tune has more take off grunt but from rolling punch it seems a little lagging.

ive already got fresh tunes from Steeda today for the AIRAID and waiting on LITO. will see how they compare with new intake.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
First tune is the base tune, get you driving .not WOT, your probably rich and low timing .then you do revisions and get better

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
So you're comparing a tune from Lito that isn't for the CAI in question?
What do you hope to gain from swapping CAI from one to another?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I got an SCT just to monitor timing. As soon as I get into it, the timing jumps to about 25 degrees and will slowly back off to 19 or so. Ford says this is the Knock Sensors at work as 93 gas is really all over the place. Then this Ford Rep, who does not like Tuner Guys, says only BP seems to sell 93 gas all the time to keep the timing at 25 all the time through the rpm range. Of course the Tuner Guy can just set timing at 26 and disable the knock sensors and hope for the best. The Ford Rep makes his living by denying claims on Coyote engines with aftermarket tunes.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I got an SCT just to monitor timing. As soon as I get into it, the timing jumps to about 25 degrees and will slowly back off to 19 or so. Ford says this is the Knock Sensors at work as 93 gas is really all over the place. Then this Ford Rep, who does not like Tuner Guys, says only BP seems to sell 93 gas all the time to keep the timing at 25 all the time through the rpm range. Of course the Tuner Guy can just set timing at 26 and disable the knock sensors and hope for the best. The Ford Rep makes his living by denying claims on Coyote engines with aftermarket tunes.
That is just the stock spark tables doing what they do. A tuner will have the spark stay where it need to be unless knock is detected. What you are seeing is likely not knock related but instead the factory spark table running it's course

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
That is just the stock spark tables doing what they do. A tuner will have the spark stay where it need to be unless knock is detected. What you are seeing is likely not knock related but instead the factory spark table running it's course

What ever it might be, it does start at 25 degrees spark at full throttle and for what ever reason, it will back off. Ford says the knock sensors are so sensitive, it could just be stones on the road. What your saying is the program is written to back off the timing regardless of the knock sensors and the knock sensors are there for the benefit of aftermarket tuners. How nice of Ford to do this for the aftermarket tuners.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What ever it might be, it does start at 25 degrees spark at full throttle and for what ever reason, it will back off. Ford says the knock sensors are so sensitive, it could just be stones on the road. What your saying is the program is written to back off the timing regardless of the knock sensors and the knock sensors are there for the benefit of aftermarket tuners. How nice of Ford to do this for the aftermarket tuners.
That's not what I'm saying at all, and what you're saying Ford is telling you is far from how your car's strategy works. Of course they back off timing if knock is present as that is their purpose, but what you are observing is not that.
The stock spark tables will do exactly what you are describing, they are set up like this so you can run a wider range of octane ratings.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
What was explained to me by a PhD Ford rep out of Detroit is the Knock Sensors actively control timing in real time. Mostly because there is really no way for Ford to control octane. He also said all Ford tests are done on BP 93 gas. Then setting the timing at 27 degrees and disabling the knock sensors will increase HP a lot. I find it hard to believe that the SCT is just reading out a map table in the ECU hard wired by the software and has nothing to do with Knock Sensors.

Michael Zeda

Reaction score
First tune is the base tune, get you driving .not WOT, your probably rich and low timing .then you do revisions and get better

I never said it was my first Lito tune. Ive been running my steeda & Lito tunes for 3 months. I have already datalogged and sent Lito the file and he already revised my tune...the tune with the Steeda cai.

I am waiting on new tunes for the Airaid cai from lito for the airaid.

So you're comparing a tune from Lito that isn't for the CAI in question?
What do you hope to gain from swapping CAI from one to another?

As I said in the OP...I am waiting on my airaid to arrive...meaning I do not have it yet....

I have been running steeda and Lito tunes for 3 months+ ..I have no idea where you got the idea I was doing that at all.
I have been running the steeda most of the time because I have 87 & 93 tunes but I dont run 93 all the time.

I am changing the cai to the airaid because I dont like the 3 piece steeda design. they are also not the same size.

what am I hoping to gain? dont really know. Before lito did my tune he advised me to run the airaid over the steeda. at the time I Had both. I sold the airaid. now I bought another airaid for reasons that have nothing to do with posible gains.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What was explained to me by a PhD Ford rep out of Detroit is the Knock Sensors actively control timing in real time. Mostly because there is really no way for Ford to control octane. He also said all Ford tests are done on BP 93 gas. Then setting the timing at 27 degrees and disabling the knock sensors will increase HP a lot. I find it hard to believe that the SCT is just reading out a map table in the ECU hard wired by the software and has nothing to do with Knock Sensors.
You are misunderstanding me or overthinking my response, either way I don't think I can make my point any more clear through this forum

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
IF you already have steeda and Lito then you might as well continue to use both. Seems like lito is the fav here. I have only used one tuner. Mostly bc they are in my back yard so its easier to get help when needed. Seems like the guys who bounce from tuner to tuner will always like different aspects of the tuner from each tuner. IF you feel you are missing something from a tune you can always get it revised by asking them change or tweak to your liking

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back