ugh! Throttle body ticking and won't fire!

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
First off, I did a massive search and found a couple of things but to no avail. After I finished the build, it fired right up, ran really rich as I had 60# inj. in there and the tune told the computer I had 39# from the procharger tune. But besides that, I sounded awesome and idled good. Now the problem comes: I took off my intake to put my temp. sensor back in, and when I replaced my intake, I got one of the cop plugs(last one one on the pass. side) caught under the intake and ripped it off. So I replaced it. All seemed good, I went to fire it up and I get this clicking noise from the t/b and the car goes into failsafe mode. When I unplug the the plug going into the actuator it stops clicking and comes out of safe mode as I hear the fuel pump kick in. I get all these codes for the t/b acuator, 2100,2104,2107,2110. I have checked all the fuses in the kick panel, and under the hood with the relays. All look to be good! checked for crimps in the electrical lines, nothing. I end up buying a 62mm t/b from ford and get the adaptor so no problems with the butterflies. So the tps is new. I re-pinned the connector to the actuator. Nothing is helping. The only thing I have noticed is if I pull #19 pcm- out it stops clicking and If I pull #23 out of the relay box under the hood It stops, but is kinda warm. I have replaced them both of them with other fuses and relays and nothing. *Pulling hair out what little I have left* Voltage reads almost 5volts at wot. the only other thing I did after all this started was replace the 60# inj. with the stock ones and load up a modified stock tunes just to get it running, well that had no affect. Ideas? Match? gasoline? what do you think?

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
anyone? I know some others have experienced this. I did notice when I pulled the connectors on the valve covers that the ticking came from the vaccuum tree near the driver strut tower. When I pulled that connector it stopped. Not sure if this is relevant.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you reconnect all wires and inspect them for damage. Did you recconect the vac hose on the back of the intake manifold? Did you get a good clean seal on all the gaskest on the manifold. Sounds like damged wires/ or a vac leak.

By the way how do you like that billet 76? I just got my billet 6765, going to be in stalling it soon.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
I actually haven't got to try it out. lol I haven't been able to get the car out of the garage with this gremlin. I have been thinking it's vac. related. everything looked like it was setting good. It a damn electrical gremlin, little bastard!

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First off, I did a massive search and found a couple of things but to no avail. After I finished the build, it fired right up, ran really rich as I had 60# inj. in there and the tune told the computer I had 39# from the procharger tune. But besides that, I sounded awesome and idled good. Now the problem comes: I took off my intake to put my temp. sensor back in, and when I replaced my intake, I got one of the cop plugs(last one one on the pass. side) caught under the intake and ripped it off. So I replaced it. All seemed good, I went to fire it up and I get this clicking noise from the t/b and the car goes into failsafe mode. When I unplug the the plug going into the actuator it stops clicking and comes out of safe mode as I hear the fuel pump kick in. I get all these codes for the t/b acuator, 2100,2104,2107,2110. I have checked all the fuses in the kick panel, and under the hood with the relays. All look to be good! checked for crimps in the electrical lines, nothing. I end up buying a 62mm t/b from ford and get the adaptor so no problems with the butterflies. So the tps is new. I re-pinned the connector to the actuator. Nothing is helping. The only thing I have noticed is if I pull #19 pcm- out it stops clicking and If I pull #23 out of the relay box under the hood It stops, but is kinda warm. I have replaced them both of them with other fuses and relays and nothing. *Pulling hair out what little I have left* Voltage reads almost 5volts at wot. the only other thing I did after all this started was replace the 60# inj. with the stock ones and load up a modified stock tunes just to get it running, well that had no affect. Ideas? Match? gasoline? what do you think?

With the power off can you move the butterfly valve(s) in the TB?

If no, then that's the problem. It is stuck and the gears may be binding (aka the "tick" you hear).

HTH

Mike

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Mike, I can move the butterflies with the power off. It is more of a chatter i guess that ticking. It is fast pulsating and the butterflies are tapping the housing which is causeing the "ticking" I am hearing. I read some of the other comments you made to other people to mike. I did the, unplug the battery and turn the key on to drain the system, nothing, I did the, press the accellerator to the floor slowly and then release. nothing. I have moved all the wires around to see if there would be a change in sound and amperage, nothing. I ford mech. said they had a problem like that once and it was a bad fuse, so I took all the fuses out and inspected them, fine. Hopefully I can get this thing figured out so I can get it tuned and get some use out of it before winter! like I said, ugh!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I had this issue and cannot remember what it was for the life of me at the moment. Sorry . I want to say I just replaced the TB and the issue was gone . The info is there somewhere though . If I can find it I will get back to you . Good luck.

Last edited:

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
05stroker, I read the posts and it never said how he fixed it. Was it timming? The video's have been deleted so I can't listen to them to hear if it's the same. But My noise doesn't go away and keeps it in failsafe mode. Talking of the ecu, is that in the engine compartment(silver) next to the high current relays and fuses? Keep in mind guys that this thing was running, and never saw more than 3k rpms and never left the garage. All this happened with just trying to replace the temp sensor under the manifold. When I tried to start it though after all this happened, I did have a loud back fire through the exhaust. I just figured it was all the gas that wasn't ignited in the combustion chamber.

RogersBlue05GT

Reaction score
I had this same thing happen to me when I removed my TB from the whipple and I disconneted the fuel pressure switch at the same time and had them backwards when I put it back together and it would do the same thing that you are talking about. The connectors are the same size. I hope this helps you.

I also had to pull the plugs to clean them before it would run because it was flooded from how it was set up. Because every time I hit the gas it was sending fuel to the inj.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
05stroker, I read the posts and it never said how he fixed it. Was it timming? The video's have been deleted so I can't listen to them to hear if it's the same. But My noise doesn't go away and keeps it in failsafe mode. Talking of the ecu, is that in the engine compartment(silver) next to the high current relays and fuses? Keep in mind guys that this thing was running, and never saw more than 3k rpms and never left the garage. All this happened with just trying to replace the temp sensor under the manifold. When I tried to start it though after all this happened, I did have a loud back fire through the exhaust. I just figured it was all the gas that wasn't ignited in the combustion chamber.
Undo all the connectors at the TB and MAF then reconnect after inspecting all the connectors to see the all the pins are fully inserted in the plug . TB and MAF are where my issues were.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
well, it was making the same noise when I had the stock t/b on the car and After reading some posts, I bought a new t/b with a new tps and the noise remains! I Think I will just start from zero,AGAIN, and take off the intake and vavle covers, inspect timing, Look for kinked hoses, frayed wires, all of the above. It's got to be something simple, it is always something simple, well maybe not always, but most of the time. God Help me!

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I found out what it was. It was a blown fuse in the engine compartment. Replaced it and, vrooooom. She lives! Now to just get the damn b&m shifter cable hooked up and we ride!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I found out what it was. It was a blown fuse in the engine compartment. Replaced it and, vrooooom. She lives! Now to just get the damn b&m shifter cable hooked up and we ride!
Nice to hear it was an easy fix. Good luck.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
engine #2 fuse, can't remember what # spot it was in though. Just look at the owners manual, it's in there!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back