• Keep

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Sell

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should upgrade or sell for one that already has a motor that I can build up this is my fav new year besides the 67 feel it looks very similar but I know the engines stock you can’t really build them up to too much power without starting to break stuff not sure how much I could make a bunch of power would like to go higher then just 500 but also don’t want to spend over 20-25 to do it at that point might as well buy something that can already handle it I feel what are your thoughts?

jek57

Reaction score
If you can afford it take a look at the 2011-2014 5.0

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Since you really like the 2006 body, you should take a look at Jason's car he is selling here.

You will not be able to build your's for what he is asking and Jason's Mustang is one hell of a setup for the money. 616 hp & 591 ft-lbs on a built engine setup with a ton of other mods as well.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well.... I was in your spot in 2010.... 06GT 460 whp..... see what I have now... :)

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I'd follow stkjock's path. You'll be starting with a better platform. And the extra displacement makes getting more power easier.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Do what I did, boss (F150 5.0) rods and fresh rings, stock pistons, I ended up doing oil pump gears in a gt500 pump, comp 127300 cams for the rumble and unreal top end, the lighter trick flow springs, stock manifolds, offroad H, 12 psi. It hauls the mail. You can get an old rotten Roush TVS blower for cheap and pulley it up. I'm on a 1.9 with a 2013 GT500 heat exchanger. Rippin' and a Tearin' just like hedo rick!!!

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
I kept my 06, supercharged it, but got a nice everyday car for the trips to work on "less than stellar" days.
Best of both worlds.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Do what I did, boss (F150 5.0) rods and fresh rings, stock pistons, I ended up doing oil pump gears in a gt500 pump, comp 127300 cams for the rumble and unreal top end, the lighter trick flow springs, stock manifolds, offroad H, 12 psi. It hauls the mail. You can get an old rotten Roush TVS blower for cheap and pulley it up. I'm on a 1.9 with a 2013 GT500 heat exchanger. Rippin' and a Tearin' just like hedo rick!!!
How much power you making?

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
I kept my 06, supercharged it, but got a nice everyday car for the trips to work on "less than stellar" days.
Best of both worlds.
That’s what I’m debating on doing but I don’t think I’ll be too happy if I just supercharge the gains just aren’t there compared to the new ones and I’m not really sure how much I could do everything for it would be amazing to get about 700-900 hp I see it’s possible with the 4.6l but Idk how much it’ll cost me in the end to build it right so I don’t blow it up

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the Shelby what you have now?
yes, if you're going to go to the effort to build a 3v and all the supporting mods needed, it's an expensive endeavor. I decided to go and buy a built Shelby instead of taking the time and money to build what I had.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO for the amount of money, you would be spending on building a 4.6L 3v and expect to get 700-900 HP? you would be far better off looking into finding a 07-10 GT500 which provides a much better platform and more displacement to build upon, or you might want to consider looking into purchasing a 5.0L Coyote crate motor as a possible alternative. Anyhow, just saying :shrug:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should upgrade or sell for one that already has a motor that I can build up this is my fav new year besides the 67 feel it looks very similar but I know the engines stock you can’t really build them up to too much power without starting to break stuff not sure how much I could make a bunch of power would like to go higher then just 500 but also don’t want to spend over 20-25 to do it at that point might as well buy something that can already handle it I feel what are your thoughts?

That is one of the worst run-on sentences I have seen. I mean seriously, huh? Wha? Come on! Is a period, comas and fully formed sentences/thoughts too much to ask for? Especially in a forum that is 100% written words.

Last edited:

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
IMHO for the amount of money, you would be spending on building a 4.6L 3v and expect to get 700-900 HP? you would be far better off looking into finding a 07-10 GT500 which provides a much better platform and more displacement to build upon, or you might want to consider looking into purchasing a 5.0L Coyote crate motor as a possible alternative. Anyhow, just saying :shrug:
Do you know what would be the better I option gains wise? I’d hate to take a Shelby and mod it all up
Do you know what is better gains wise? I’d feel bad taking a Shelby and modding it all up. Also not sure if it’s cheaper to just get all the forged internals for my 3v it’s basically a brand new engine only 26k miles and I see people building them up to handle 800-1000hp

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
More than 600hp out of a 3v is going to be very expensive. But as with most threads like this, it really doesn't matter what everybody tells you because you have already made up your mind and are looking for affirmation, not advice. So I'm not going to give you what you want because you are wrong.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
More than 600hp out of a 3v is going to be very expensive. But as with most threads like this, it really doesn't matter what everybody tells you because you have already made up your mind and are looking for affirmation, not advice. So I'm not going to give you what you want because you are wrong.
How am I wrong?

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Are people always this rude on these forums? I just am trying to get as much information as possible and get negative comments about it.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Makes them feel good.

My car makes maybe 550rwhp, and I only say that because of dyno sheets I've seen posted here and elsewhere - due to the ubiquity of blown 3v combinations. I hope to get it on a friend's dyno this coming spring.

It's a fun street car, the 285 rears don't hook at all in first but I can manage it in 2nd. I expect 305 M/T ET Street R radials will tax the diff housing and clutch.

If you are doing your own work and want a project build your car. That's why you do these things. If you have to pay someone, _never_. Get a 2020 GT500.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Facts don’t care about your feelings.

You’ve asked for advice and have recieved it and you’re pushing back. The 3V has been around 13 yrs now, your question isn’t new and has been discussed many times. Search and read and you’ll see what’s been posted above is sound advice.

Modding up a Shelby.... come now, to get to 700 doesn’t take too much

To properly build a 3V to that level is $$$

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Facts don’t care about your feelings.

You’ve asked for advice and have recieved it and you’re pushing back. The 3V has been around 13 yrs now, your question isn’t new and has been discussed many times. Search and read and you’ll see what’s been posted above is sound advice.

Modding up a Shelby.... come now, to get to 700 doesn’t take too much

To properly build a 3V to that level is $$$
I’m not pushing back at all I was just asking because I’m not as familiar as everyone else I’m still new to learning everything there is to know there is so much to know. There’s no reason to be rude about talking about facts yes I’d love to know the facts that’s why I asked but it doesn’t have to be in a rude way. Don’t understand boutta hop on a different forum because there’s no need to be rude for trying to ask a question

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back