Valve Spring Replacement Procedure

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I have decided NOT to install the 127205 Comp Cams XFI NSR Stage 2 Blower Cams. Rather I will be installing 127350 Comp Cams XFI VSR Stage 2 Blower Cams with 26125-24 Beehive 4.6L 3V High Load Valve Springs and 700-24 Steel (not Titanium) Retainers. This decision was based on future plans for a forged rotating assembly. I also want to retain my VCT as this vehicle will NEVER see the strip. Cam specs are attached.

Couple of questions on valve spring replacement:

• In the attached valve spring replacement procedure, it clearly states a minimum of 140 psi of air pressure must be used. Does it really require 140 psi? My air compressor only produces 100 psi.
  • I'm planning on modifying an old spark plug to pressurize the cylinder during the valve spring replacement procedure. Any better ideas? A picture would be great!!
Tuning will be provided by Jim Sr. @ JDM

Attachments

• Comp Cams 127350 Specs.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
I have decided NOT to install the 127205 Comp Cams XFI NSR Stage 2 Blower Cams. Rather I will be installing 127350 Comp Cams XFI VSR Stage 2 Blower Cams with 26125-24 Beehive 4.6L 3V High Load Valve Springs and 700-24 Steel (not Titanium) Retainers. This decision was based on future plans for a forged rotating assembly. I also want to retain my VCT as this vehicle will NEVER see the strip. Cam specs are attached.

Couple of questions on valve spring replacement:

• In the attached valve spring replacement procedure, it clearly states a minimum of 140 psi of air pressure must be used. Does it really require 140 psi? My air compressor only produces 100 psi.
  • I'm planning on modifying an old spark plug to pressurize the cylinder during the valve spring replacement procedure. Any better ideas? A picture would be great!!
Tuning will be provided by Jim Sr. @ JDM
Have fun!:angry1:

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I changed valve springs w/Ti retainers. My compressor only makes 110 psi. it was fine. I got the spark plug adaptor for the 3V engines from the Snap On truck (about $25). Make sure you block the oil return holes, get a magnet, a good flashlight and say your prayers because your going to need alot of patience. This job takes alot of time. Exh. springs were harder for me (because of location). Took me about 8hrs for springs and another 3 for cams and phasers. Good Luck.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I changed valve springs w/Ti retainers. My compressor only makes 110 psi. it was fine. I got the spark plug adapter for the 3V engines from the Snap On truck (about $25). Make sure you block the oil return holes, get a magnet, a good flashlight and say your prayers because your going to need alot of patience. This job takes alot of time. Exh. springs were harder for me (because of location). Took me about 8hrs for springs and another 3 for cams and phasers. Good Luck.

Were you the unlucky bastard to drop the keepers down the oil return hole?

I have never changed the valve springs on a 4.6L 3V but I hear it ranks right up there with being castrated with a rusty knife while being ass raped by a Silverback gorilla - so I'm told, never having personally experienced either

Additional questions:

• Did you change the valve springs before or after installing the new cams? Here's why I ask - the new cams have more lift than the stock cams. I don't want to install the new cams and then find out I can't rotate the engine because of coil bind.
  • When installing the springs did you have the piston at TDC or BDC. BDC seems to be a better plan so as to prevent engine rotation while the cylinder is pressurized but Ford's recommendation is TDC.
  • I assume you pulled all the spark plugs to make rotating the engine easier and replaced the valve springs in the firing order so you only had to rotate the engine 2 complete revolutions?
Additional info: I really don't need the VSR cams now - NSRs would be fine. However, I eventually plan on upgrading to a forged rotating assembly and don't want to have to buy another set of cams then. So I'll take my castration and ass raping now.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
May I ask why will your car never see the strip?

yeah all those mods and no dragstrip action? Line locks?

Let's just say it's an agreement I made with my wife and leave it at that. Besides no one wants/needs to see a 6'6"/270 lb. 45 year old balding turd going down the track. The only pictures I will ever post are those of my Mustangs.

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Let's just say it's an agreement I made with my wife and leave it at that. Besides no one wants/needs to see a 6'6"/270 lb. 45 year old balding turd going down the track. The only pictures I will ever post are those of my Mustangs.

Heh...when I go people get to see a 5'10" 318lb 34 year old :eek:hsnap:

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Were you the unlucky bastard to drop the keepers down the oil return hole?

I have never changed the valve springs on a 4.6L 3V but I hear it ranks right up there with being castrated with a rusty knife while being ass raped by a Silverback gorilla - so I'm told, never having personally experienced either

Additional questions:

• Did you change the valve springs before or after installing the new cams? Here's why I ask - the new cams have more lift than the stock cams. I don't want to install the new cams and then find out I can't rotate the engine because of coil bind.
  • When installing the springs did you have the piston at TDC or BDC. BDC seems to be a better plan so as to prevent engine rotation while the cylinder is pressurized but Ford's recommendation is TDC.
  • I assume you pulled all the spark plugs to make rotating the engine easier and replaced the valve springs in the firing order so you only had to rotate the engine 2 complete revolutions?
Additional info: I really don't need the VSR cams now - NSRs would be fine. However, I eventually plan on upgrading to a forged rotating assembly and don't want to have to buy another set of cams then. So I'll take my castration and ass raping now.
No, I'm not the poor bastard that posted he lost a few keepers down the oil return. I did how ever lose 1, where it went I will never know unless it winds up on my magnetic drain plug next oil change.
I changed springs and retainers first, the cams are needed to support the valve spring tool. I left the 7 remaining spark plugs in. I tried to keep the piston at TDC but sometimes the air in the cyls. can push the piston down but not everytime so be aware of that.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Damn it ! you would think she would want you out of the house doing something ! JK ! Good luck . I for one havent done anything to my motor without tearing it apart ! LOL.

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
i set my compressor at 60 psi and it held the valve up plenty good. Just be careful and take your time. i dropped 2 retainers like an idiot but make sure you plug those oil galley's up really well. GOOD LUCK !!!

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I also want to retain my VCT as this vehicle will NEVER see the strip.

Seeing or not the track has nothing to do with VCT, actually the VCT failures can occur more at lower loads than at WOT, remember stock VCT tables command up to 50 degrees of retard at part throttle/low loads. I would do at least the limiters with any upgraded spring config. And WOT is WOT no matter where it is done.

If the drag strip would be a beauty contest it would be dessert long time ago. Besides, everybody do with their car and their money what they want, someone wants to have a 1000rwhp car just for show? what is the problem? be happy and safe mate, thats all that matters.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
2V tool FTW! The 3V tool is CRAP. FWIW

Can you be a little more specific - like the actual part number on the tool. My 3V spring compressor's ship date is now sometime in September.

Has anyone else successfully used the 2V compressor on our 3V engines

matt texass

Reaction score
Can you be a little more specific - like the actual part number on the tool. My 3V spring compressor's ship date is now sometime in September.

Has anyone else successfully used the 2V compressor on our 3V engines

+1111

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a Labor Day weekend install is going to happen. At this rate it will be Thanksgiving!!

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
I know of two other people who have used the 2V compressor, I will look up the part number and get back.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back