Water getting into passenger side floor !

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Pentalab, Nov 9, 2021.

1. richie9mt

richie9mt Junior Member

Thank you for posting the pic! I was able to locate and identify both cowl drain bladders on my 2006 V6 Mustang. They were easily reached by hand and both pulled off easily. For those who haven't found them, they are 2 3/4" long and 2" high, black rubber, and they are removed by pulling down. Mine were not clogged, nothing except a bit of grime in each one, but the 'lips' on the bladder were together in such a way that any leaves or even dirt buildup would have clogged them.

2. Juice

Juice forum member

Ummm, NO. Not pulling that cowl cover over and over yearly.
    Changed it at ~12 years when it got soaked. That was 4 years ago. lmao

3. blackjack07

blackjack07 Junior Member

Suit yourself. It literally takes 15 minutes and costs like what...11 bucks? Clean cabin air and an empty cowl.

4. jlmotox

jlmotox forum member

Just had water leaking on my sons car, the flapper below the cabin filter was missing and whole area was dry…
    he had water getting in from where the push pins for the cowl cover go through the firewall below the windshield, I pulled and cleaned them and resealed them with silicone.
    He was also getting some water in on the passenger side door trim. Between the plastic side window trim and the body the foam seal was destroyed but I was able to find some weather striping foam from Home Depot and now everything is dry. Now to deal with the SJB as he has some gremlins in the electrical system because water got in…

5. DieHarder

DieHarder Senior Member

Got a pic of the seal you picked up? Thinking of doing the same on my son's car. I went thru and sealed up everything I could find but would like to add new seals for extra insurance. Have had water problems in the past.

6. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

Pulled the rubber flap out by hand on drivers side quire some time ago. Yesterday, I managed to get the rubber flap out on the pass side. Could just get my skinny arm down there. They are soft rubber flaps...and come out fairly easily. They have a small lip around their rectangular circumference. That lip is on the inside of the sheep metal rectangular hole. Just squeeze it at the top and bottom (center), then pull by hand. They pop right out.

7. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Exactly. I know Ford puts them there for a reason. However most people don't check them. Whenever there is a water issue due to them change the cabin air filter also. It gets saturated.

8. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

I will swap out the cabin filter, and clean out that entire compartment. On a similar note, are those rubber flap thingies used on other Ford vehicles ? Like my 2011 Fusion, or an old Ranger ?

9. richie9mt

richie9mt Junior Member

My 2006 Owners Manual does not say how to change them, just to take the car to a dealer for service. Is there a video or thread on how to do this???

10. richie9mt

richie9mt Junior Member

I found a couple YouTube videos -

Before these videos, I didn't know where the filter was located, how to extract/install it, or even how big it was. Excellent videos.

The longer video also showed exactly how water got into the passenger footwell, as well as leaves and twigs trapped in the filter enclosure bottom, and the watermark on the filter itself.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  11. Juice

Juice forum member

I found removing the cowl cover a bit tricky. Its cake to swap the filter after panel is removed.

12. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Really not bad. Just have to be careful with the plastic screws.

13. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

Ok, with the cowl cover removed, and filter out.... I see there is 2 x holes, one per side at the bottom of the trough..facing downwards. Where does water go, after it goes down those 2 x holes ? Is their another, hidden cavity below that, or does it come out the bottom...or does it come out at 90 degs through those 2 x rubber thingys that I just removed from the eng bay ?

14. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

It drains out of the car in front of the firewall.

15. Jim RN

Jim RN Junior Member

16. Jim RN

Jim RN Junior Member

Had the same problem, ford had a design flaw. They wouldn't recall, passenger side windshield cowling no drain . It will come in through your passenger side kick panel right on to your ECU! It completely corroded the ECU. $2000.00 later drilled a small hole in right side of the windshield cowling. Make it big enough to get something to poke down to prevent clogging. This was almost always a problem with convertibles. BTW mine is a 2011. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.