What did you just Pick Up !?!

Discussion in 'The Armory' started by NastyStang113, May 3, 2012.

1. Shaffe

Shaffe forum member

Probably won't be! I do love me some revolvers.

2. ixtlan

ixtlan Senior Member

Like Revolvers?
    Uberti Bisley 45LC 7.5
    Shot it last week for the first time and kept all 6 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 25 yds.
    After 50 rnds I had a few strays (Operator Error) but a great shooting pistola.
    For an old blind bastard like me that was GREAT. LOL
    I made the box and French fit it.

toy.jpg

Iceman62 likes this.
  3. oldVOR

oldVOR forum member

Nice, that box is a cool piece as well

4. ixtlan

ixtlan Senior Member

Thank You, I felt it needed a period looking piece of furniture to hold the furniture...
    The picture of the gun itself really doesn't do it justice. They are beautiful.

5. Iceman62

Iceman62 Bullitt 6005

Wow...simply stunning gun & box! My son got me hooked on the Nexflix series "Godless" w/Jeff Daniels...makes me want a nice "old West" revolver. :D

6. nawagner

nawagner forum member

That is a good show! And a nice looking gun.

7. Slick4.6

Slick4.6 forum member

Beautiful revolver

8. Shaffe

Shaffe forum member

I always told my wife I wanted her to learn how to use a firearm once we bought our house and she has kept putting it off. I am going to make sure this fall I teach her but I am going to need something she can use and feel comfortable with. Don't think my .45 or .44 would be a good idea. She has shot a .38 before and handled it fine but didn't like it. That was my fault for taking her to a terrible range when it was packed it though.

So I am thinking something along the lines of a S&W M&P 9mm or a J frame/smaller revolver. The 9 would probably be easier to teach her on, but I feel if she ever had to use it the revolver would be the better option, no magazine no racking the slide.

Also anybody got a recommendation on a small safe?

9. joe_momma

joe_momma forum member

How small? Like a bedside box or a smaller floor model?

I've got one of the Gunvault boxes that I keep in my bedside drawer that has my Glock 21. It has a combination that you input with a series of finger buttons. I think they also make a fancier one that reads your fingerprints.
    For a relatively inexpensive safe, look at the Stack-On stuff. They make lockable cabinets as well as safes. The safe I have will keep out "smash and grab" thieves and nosy teenagers, plus it's heavy enough that they aren't going to walk out with it unless they have plenty of time and a good back. I think it weighs 350 pounds empty. Plus, it's bolted to the floor. I picked it up on a Black Friday sale a few years ago at Dunham's for around $400. One side has shelves, the other is open for long guns. It also came with a hanging organizer for the door which is super handy. I think it's a 24 gun safe, but I've only got 5 or 6 long guns in it and wouldn't want to put any more in there.

EDIT: You'll see some videos on YT about Stack-On and they aren't favorable. For what I needed a safe for - to keep teens out and important papers fire protected, it works fine.

10. Shaffe

Shaffe forum member

For a safe right now all I have is 2 hand guns, a 1911 and a super blackhawk. Guess what I will really need to do is get to the store and look at some in person.

Just checked out the gunvault stuff, that looks like it would be perfect for whatever I choose to keep in the bedroom.

11. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

Picked up a Marine Cote Mossberg Shockwave about a month ago. Still haven't shot the damn thing...

13. oldVOR

oldVOR forum member

Shaffe, For teaching purposes, get a 22 semi-auto pistol. Lightweight, almost zero recoil to manage and they allow the new shooter to build confidence in their abilities. After that, get a semi-auto that she can handle and rack the slide comfortably. Most men think nothing about racking a slide with the thumb and forefinger pinching the top of the slide but most women don't have the hand strength to do this with larger caliber pistols (380/9mm/45/etc). If this is the case with your wife, have her use the heal of the hand and all fingers to pinch the slide and keep the pistol closer to the chest where strength is naturally greater (always be mindful of muzzle direction). Revolvers can be harder for some women due to the heavier springs within the actions.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  14. LikeabossTM

LikeabossTM forum member

It's also worth mentioning that it's easier (more effective) to have the heel of the hand toward the muzzle with the fingers/thumb facing the rear of the pistol. In other words, pushing the slide to rack the slide, as opposed to pulling the slide to rack the slide.

15. RocketcarX

RocketcarX 95% of my weight is fuel

Another thing to reminder is to let the slide go once it reaches the end of it's stroke and allow it so snap forward with the full spring strength, meaning pull it all the way back quickly and let it go.
    My wife can't rack my Springfield XD40, she wanted a revolver as well, I found a good deal on a Ruger LC9 she is able to rack just fine. Eventually I will get her that revolver.

16. Shaffe

Shaffe forum member

Very good input! I think that starting on a 22 will probably be the route I go

17. pass1over

pass1over I like it LOW

s&w m&p 22 compact, great gun. Functions and feels just like any other larger caliber polymer handgun.

18. Slick4.6

Slick4.6 forum member

X2 my father got one of them for my mom to shoot, nice little piece

19. pass1over

pass1over I like it LOW

I keep a Mack Brothers Lima suppressor on mine for dispatching unwanted varmints when i'm out on the farm. Have a Walther P22 as well, but it's been in the safe ever since I got this smith.

20. Wes06

Wes06 forum member

Built this rifle myself
    [​IMG]

AR is

• Aero Precision M4E1 lower
    • Aero upper sans forward assist
    • Ballistic Advantage 16" mid length, government profile
    • Larue MBT-2S 2 stage trigger
    • Magpul MOE grip
    • Magpul CTR stock
    • Aero low pro gas block
    • Midwest Industries 12" M-LOK handguard
    • Toolcraft Nickle Boron BCG
    • Aero buffer tube/spring/buffer kit
    • VG6 Epsilon brake
    • CMMG lower parts kit
    • Eotech 512
    • Strike Industries latchless charging handle
    Weighs in at 6lb 11.3oz without magazine/ammo, or that bipod attachment up front