What did you just Pick Up !?!

Discussion in 'The Armory' started by NastyStang113, May 3, 2012.

1. mikeysgt

mikeysgt forum member

I shot the TSO for the first time this morning at a match. Last minute thing since they cancelled my son’s teeball game. Man, that trigger is extremely light. Way different than the Glock I’m used to shooting at matches. This pistol amazed me and how well built it is. It took me a couple of stages to get used to the trigger but I managed to do pretty good the last few stages and finished with a 3rd place finish. I love everything about it and can’t wait to see where some more time behind the trigger can get me. This probably won’t be my last CZ.

2. JJ427R

JJ427R forum member

My first post on this thread so a short story:
    I shoot from a wheelchair, not competitively at all, just for the love of shooting. Mostly beer cans and targets on my friends farm. Only hunting I currently do is Whitetail Deer here in southern MN. I usually shoot a Remington 720 pump 12ga with sights, no scope... like to give the deer a chance... :)
    I'm in a shotgun zone so no rifles in my zone but I can use a pistol, so few years ago bought my first and only (so far). Every few days I'll maybe use this instead of the shotgun. I've dropped one with it from about 30 yds. :)

Seeing this thread has me now looking at more, want a 1911 of some kind. What do you all recommend?

My current ride, S&W 686 .357 with Redfield Red Dot. sorry about photobucket...

[​IMG]

3. joe_momma

joe_momma forum member

Love the 686!

I can't really comment on the 1911 question, although I do know you can spend stupid money on some of the custom ones.

4. mikeysgt

mikeysgt forum member

I own a Springfield TRP Operator. Well worth the money. Not sure what your budget is but you can get into some really nice custom 1911 models if you’re looking to spend a few grand. My TRP is amazing and I’d definitely recommend a Springfield model over some of the rest.

I also own a compact range Officer .45 which I use as my concealed carry pistol. There are a few options from Springfield including the range officers, and TRP models to choose from. I’d definitely look into some of those.

5. JJ427R

JJ427R forum member

Thanks for that one, I'll definitely check those out, TRP looks like a nice gun. Appears to be about the same price as the primary one I've been considering, which is the Coonan .357 Friend of mine bought a Coonan a couple years ago and I've shot that and it's a great shooting gun, it's the .357 compensated stainless. If I remember he paid about $1700 for that. Really quite a bit more than I want to spend, but that gun IMO is worth it.

Got me thinking about my old Springfield/Savage semi auto 12ga shotgun that was my primary growing up as a kid, shot a lot of pheasants and 1000's of clay pigeons with that gun, great 12ga. Have not shot it in several years, now I'm going to have to go shoot it soon...

6. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

Got fingerprinted today pretty cool no ink just scanned

NFA Trust for a suppressor application for my new Ruger 22/45 Lite which i hope to pick up tomorrow (the Ruger that is)

7. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

Updated pic with the new reflex sight. Love this thing!
    [​IMG]

mikeysgt likes this.
  8. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

What sight is that ?

9. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

Is there any advantage of a reflex site over a plane jane red dot site ??

10. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

Drew, that's just a cheapo Victory Optics I picked up off Ebay. This was my first foray into red dots and I wasn't about to spend $200-300 for 1 and find out I didn't like them.

I used that reflex because Weigland advised a 2.5 oz sight for that picatinny rail. I've got just a plain jane red dot on the AR and me and my son both liked the, I think it's called "eye relief" of the reflex sight. The thin frame of the reflex was very unobtrusive compared the the barrel of the other red dot.

11. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

Ruger 22/44 Lite threaded barrel

Burris FastFire 3 red dot 8 moa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bradleyem likes this.
  12. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

I almost bought 1 of those instead of the Competition.

13. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

Already own an older Mark III bullbarrel

paperwork for suppressor to be done tomorrow and than wait

14. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

Always been interested in a suppressor but the hassle deters me. What's the average wait time now?

15. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

Dont know but have been waiting to do it for a couple of years...

Going through Silencer Shop

16. Totheboards

Totheboards Junior Member

I like that SW 686. I heard Marlin is coming out with another 357 lever rifle. Would make a nice pair.
    For 1911, I always liked Kimber but I think they are over priced. I have the SW E-series Gov't 1911 and love it. Only put about 1000 rounds through it but zero issues so far. Some say it's ugly because of the massive external extractor, but it is stronger and more reliable that way. Comes with tritium sights too!

JJ427R likes this.
  17. nawagner

nawagner forum member

I've heard the same on the Marlin and if they do it, I'll have to pick one up to match my Ruger BH!

18. joe_momma

joe_momma forum member

My nephew got a suppressor last year, and it was right at a year wait. One of the local gun shops here has a kiosk, I believe it is for the Sandman brand, it they are saying it's only taking 3 months to get them processed.

19. bujeezus

bujeezus forum member

I'd almost forget I had ordered 1 if I had to wait a year for it. Would be a nice surprise for me though. Lol!

Got my dovetail red dot mount in today for my Ruger. Can't wait to try it out. I also changed out the wood grips for a Hogue. Gotta have my finger grooves. I know it's stupid but the Ruger grips were almost too nice to use.

Hoguegrips_red_dot.jpg

AndrewNagle and JJ427R like this.
  20. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

nice, hogue does make some good grips looking at some as well

taking daughter shooting in the am; her first time