What to do with door subs

Chistopher

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've got a S197 that formerly had a Shaker 500 system. Now it has a new Pioneer head, new front and rear midrange drivers, and an audio processor.

My question is what should I do with the door subs? Right now they are too boomy and I have to cut their output -7dB and set the crossover to some pretty dramatic seconds to tame the output/balance the sound. In short, I have plenty of volume, but not enough definition.

I've heard the Shelby/Kicker door sub is a pretty popular (and fairly cheap) drop-in replacement that gets the job done. So far the stock sub and their amps are the only thing I haven't touched.

Is Shelby/Kicker a good option or should I go another route? Money's no big problem, but I'd like to keep costs below $300/$400 in total.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Search the Tunes sub forum, discussed often

Chistopher

Reaction score
Thanks, as an admin could you move it for me? I haven't been around here to long and don't see a place where users are able to do it themselves.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Shelby kicker subs. The best thing about them is the tighter, thumpier bass, without the mushy booming & rumbling of the OEM door subs. I also have the Shelby kicker plug and play amp with the kicker trunk sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced my entire stock Shaker500 -- the subs I got are the: Audiofrog GS8ND2 from Crutchfield. GS Series 8" sub /mid-bass with dual 2-ohm voice coils. Very happt with them.

Chistopher

Reaction score
Do those work with the stock amp?

Another question for those who would know: the stock amp on the 500 head unit sucks, how much benefit is there to replace the door amps with a higher quality unit?

I'm eyeing the kickers because if I can get a good enough sound for $150 that's fine with me, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending more.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back