What's your favorite Wax/Polish?

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Its getting cold here in WV so I washed up the stang for the last time and put it in the garage. I'd like to spend some time this winter and give it a good wax and polishing. So what do you use? Here's what I've used in the past:

Turtle Wax: classic, cheap, does a decent job
Meguires NXT Wax: package looks ricey, but its pretty decent
Zymol Cleaner Wax: good cleaner wax, but doesn't give the deep shine I want

Race Glaze: Polish/Sealant. Nice deep shine, but its not a wax.

I'd like a very deep shine for the spring and don't mind spending a little money. I also like to do the waxing/polishing by hand. Has anyone tried Griots Best of Show? Should I polish and then wax? Give me some suggestions.

EDIT: I see some of my questions were answered in the Sticky, but I'd like to know what brands you guys prefer.

Last edited:

bullitt 736

Reaction score
Wash and Dry (see the link I posted)
Claybar with Meguiars clay

I use a Meg's G100 DA polisher with Lake Country pads for correction

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with LC Orange
Wolfgang Glaze with LC Grey
Wolfgang Sealer with LC Blue (cure 12 hours)
Wolfgang Sealer by hand (cure 12 hours)

Then comes a topper of carnuba for the finale. I move around here. I apply all by hand. I'm about to order some Pinnacle Signature Seriess II paste wax. I've been using Poorboy's Natty Blue.

There's a lot of great stuff out there. Some expensive, so not so much. It all depends on how much prep you want to put into it and what results you want.

The NXT you mention is not bad. Two thin coats (allowing cure time, and a nice topper of Megs #26 is what I used for a long time on the DD. Good protection. Butr if you have swirls, etc.... you need a good correction system. That's why I linked to the stickie.

Tell us what you want and how hard you're willing to work.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
I recently started using this and love the results. That was a shot of my DD. Here is another plus my Stang below.

IMG_4311.jpg

This is how slick the finish is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlzb07xdu0

...and what it does to water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEVr2-nd690

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Polish: M105/205.

Glaze: Poorboy's Black Hole.

Wax(es):
Meguiars #16. Pinnacle Souveran. Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 and 5050.

PS: Try to find some Meguiars #16. I dare you.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
Adams machine polish detail kit. soon to get their americana wax for between machine polishing. kit comes with everything for around 350 dollars. cant remember exactly but this setup has held up on my car since late september and is still slick to the touch. pic of car from distance. brought out the shine after almost 5 years of dd use.
DSC00082.jpg
ill

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Wow, great info. So I'm gunna ask this and don't flame:

Like I said, the weather is getting bad. Car is washed up and in the garage. I last waxed the car in either February or december of the previous year(so the wax may be a year old on there). Car is still semi smooth but most has worn off I'm assuming.

Car is garage kept ALL the time. I've put maybe 3k miles on this year. The paint is beautiful still, car has under 8k miles total. I highly doubt I'll get another chance to wash it with the bad weather coming. I have not "stripped" the car at all.

With the car in the garage, is there any reason I can't just apply wax on it in a few weeks? I figured I'd get a very good duster to remove any dust. Is there any harm to that? With my schedule, I don't get very much time to play around with it, unfortunately. Got a very late start on this do to work this Fall.

Cliffnotes: Any reason why I can't apply the wax at a later point since no dirty will be getting on the car now, just a little dust? Any suggestions?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The car needs to be washed before waxing. No way around that. If you're planning on washing it, storing it and than waxing it than just use a large sheet to cover it in the mean time. Than you could just Quick Detail it and than you'll be good to wax.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
You know, I never thought about that. I just washed it up on Saturday Afternoon. I could throw a clean bed sheet over it and wax in next week. Good thinking!

What about not stripping it? Is that a big problem? Thanks guys!

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Some times keeping it simple is the best thing! Not at all. Just look at it as a maintenance coat of wax. I put wax on my car between full details all of the time.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Sweet.

I think I'm going to give the Griots Best of Show Wax a try this time. My coworker is swearing by it so I'll try it. I might try either that Collinite or P21S next time. So many choices.

I guess it wouldn't hurt putting on the Race Glaze/Sealant I have and then waxing over it right? Might give it a bit deep shine.

Appreciate all the help.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I know a few guys that swear by it. I've seen some great results, too. I've never personally used it, but it sure does have some fans.

P.S. Nasty, Got my mitts today. Thanks again for the tip, they look like some real quality pieces.

Back