What's your favorite Wax/Polish?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I know a few guys that swear by it. I've seen some great results, too. I've never personally used it, but it sure does have some fans.

P.S. Nasty, Got my mitts today. Thanks again for the tip, they look like some real quality pieces.

I really don't think MOST people can tell the difference between the higher end waxes anyways. Honestly, I find myself finding it hard to see the difference between the high end waxes that I've got. The easiest way for me is to use some 3M Blue Painters Tape and section off a nice flat area like the roof or hood and use different waxes on each.

I think the most noticeable difference is going to be how they are applied, removed, and how long they last. For example, Meguiars #16 is a bear to apply correctly and remove. Too much product and you'll hate your life. #16 has to be applied so thin and it's still not that easy to remove. I'll end up going over the car 5 times before I get every last bit of it removed. It lasts forever though! Than you've Souveran that is easy as pie to apply and remove but it doesn't last as long.

PS: I think you'll love the mitts. My suggestion before you use it is to fill a bucket full of water, let it soak for an hour, run your hands through it and massage it, than rinse it out really good. There are a lot of natural oils that will come out and some loose fibers.

I think you'll find it work a lot better once it gets a few washes. I have noticed that there is a little variance in the quality of the mitts. I'm guessing since it's a natural Sheep's Wool you can never have the exact same one. I've had some that seem like they swell up with water and than some that stay 'flat'. Either way, my favorite mitts. I wish AutoGeek.net would sell them...

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Unfortunately I won't get to try them out for a few months. It's jeep season now, lol

herbie3417

Reaction score
DKS- nice to know there is some more mustang/jeep owners here although for me its always mustang season and its always jeep season

i use lanes polish and wax. is pretty cheap and looks fantastic IMO. there tire shine is also one of the longest lasting i can find. way better then anything you can buy in local stores. still want to know what my dealer used cause that stuff was the best.

On another note and i know the s197 guys dont have to much black plastic on their cars but what do you guys use to keep the plastic looking brand new?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the plastic at the bottom of your 2011, than without a doubt I'd pick up some Meguiars Hyperdressing. It's a water based concentrate. On tires mix 1:1 and on trim, etc mix it 4:1. Don't use anything silicone based because after it sits in the sun it's going to destroy the plastic. It's going to turn a milky, hazy white and it's going to be a rocky road. I can't imagine you needing to dress it with Hyperdressing but every couple of washes.

SpookShowGT

Banned
Reaction score
I use Mothers or Meguiars mostly but just recently I turned to "Croftgate USA products"... its pretty awesome stuff!!

LegendLives

Reaction score
This is what I use, I like to layer it, up to 3 coats. When this can is done I dont know if I will get this again or try something else. My color really needs help to pop, anybody have any suggestion about what works on the lighter colored cars I'm all ears.

newlid_op_600x600.jpg

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I like the surf city garage detail kit works great. What part of WV are you from I am from Ripley.

Hey man, I'm in Clarksburg. You on WVstreets.com? Check it out, its our local forum for meets and such.

Nasty, I appreciate your help. I ended up buying Griots Best of Show. Got a good deal on cyber monday. A friend lent me some and I tried it on a few spots and I liked the result. Next time I'll try one of the ones you guys mentioned.

But I got a question for you. I was able to wash the car yesterday(Its snowing here today!). Car is covered in the garage. Should I used a Zymol Cleaner wax I have first or just go right into the griots wax?

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
It was only 38° here today but luckliy for me we have a big heated bay here at the firehouse. (I washed the car yesterday) I pulled my car in, "dusted" it off and let it set for a few hours so the paint could "warm up". I tried "Mothers" Carnuba cleaner wax and was pleasantly surprised. It went on and came off rather easily and left a nice smooth finish on the car. And I must say it did actually remove some oxidation and water spots as advertised. :highfive:

Not the greatest pics but you get the idea...

1092.jpg

1095.jpg

1098.jpg

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Very Nice!

I ended up just putting on the Griot's best of show. The car was prolly aroun 50-55 degrees. Not optimal, I know.

The wax is VERY hard to get off. I was warned that ahead of time but did not realize it was to that extent. The car looks good but to be honest I'm not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze. Not sure if if its anything outstanding considering the price and time it took to remove. I'm gunna complain to them about it and see what they do.

I want a little more depth and shine, can I use another wax over it? I know a cleaner wax would remove it, but if I use Meguiar's NXT wax, would that be fine? I actually think I like the NXT Tech Wax better.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Well I tried to use it sparingly like they suggested but they did warn me (as well as my friend) that its a mother to get off. When I called them, they told me thats the nature of the product. Like I said, it was maybe a tad cold but not freezing. I have washed using other waxes at the same time last year and had no issues.

Is there anything you can recommend to use over the current wax to enhance the shine or even just as a good spray to go over the car now that it has the wax? Its snowing outside to I can't wash/strip anything. Would like a Poorboys Detailer spray help anything? Again, its not bad by any means, just want to know if there's anything else I can do while its sitting there and can't take it out. Thanks guys.

ozzy

forum member
Reaction score
I have been using Adam's car care products for about 4 years now, very easy to use and looks geat.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Just remember simply waxing the vehicle isn't going to give you ALL of the results. The results come from the previous steps. Wax only offers protection and enhances the finish slightly.

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
waxing/polishing

Just remember simply waxing the vehicle isn't going to give you ALL of the results. The results come from the previous steps. Wax only offers protection and enhances the finish slightly.

This is very true. I've been hanging out on several detailing forums over they last 5 years and this is one statement that you will see a whole lot.

Favorite wax- Pinnacle Souveran.
Sealant- Blackfire All Finish Paint protection.
Polishes- Meguiars 105/205. Menzerna PO85RD
Flex DA polisher

There's a ton of waxes and sealants out there. Find the one that gives you the results you like. The only problem with that is, you can spend a small fortune on finding one. Now's the time of year to find one that has durability.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
So I was told by company X that I can put their wax over the one thats on and that it will not make a mess or remove the current wax on the car b/c Company X wax has no cleaners or abrasives. That sound right? I wanted to get a few coats on regardless of the brand, but no way am I applying Griots again.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Sounds good. Remember thin coats is better when waxing. Applying a lot of product isn't offering any more protection, it's simply wasting product and nothing more.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
thanks guys. Thats funny you mention Collinite. In response to how hard of time I had getting the Griots off, a local guy said "should have bought collinite from me". I heard that stuff is very tough too.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back