Where does extra sound insulation make the most difference?

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by ghunt81, Mar 31, 2022.

1. GriffX

GriffX Member

Started to cover the right trunk inner liner with self adhesive automotive cotton type sound insulation (1 cm thick).
    I guess a less stiffer material would be easier to apply, but I use what I have.

insulation_right.jpg

2. DieHarder

DieHarder Senior Member

Understand constraints; however if you can swing it the wheel wells are one of the places you're going to want to use butyl and add a second layer of foam/aluminum blanket. It's the only way I know of to really knock down road noise. Good luck.

3. GriffX

GriffX Member

Yes, on the metal I used butyl, but did not a full cover only on the middle of the sheets according to the AcoustiShield pdf. So the vibration of the metal will be attenuated and the air noise in the cotton plates. I hope so ;) Learning by doing.

(and will not buy additional butyl. You guys don't get too much news from Europe I guess, but living costs are crazy high here. Heating costs tripled and electricity doubled in fall 22 and my mandatory health insurance is 9000$ now per year, and food increased 80%)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  4. Laga

Laga Senior Member

I’m in the process of replacing all four of my speakers in my 05. Since the door panels are off, I decided to put the butyl material inside of the doors.
    What a PITA. Had to cut sheets into 6” wide strips to get into holes, then fill in small spaces. My arms are all scraped up from not fitting through holes. Attacking rear speakers today, which require removal of rear side trim panels. I have entire trunk area and under rear seats all ready covered, so I will cover whatever exterior areas that get exposed. I’ll post if it makes a difference.

5. ghunt81

ghunt81 New parts on old junk! S197 Team Member

I haven't been able to muster up the desire to do my doors yet...maybe one of these days. Hate thinking about fitting around all those openings. I was just planning to do the inside, not the door skin itself.

6. Laga

Laga Senior Member

So I got the car out today before the snow hits. The butyl on the outside door skin made a big difference in reducing road noise. I had all ready done the trunk area before. It also makes the car sound more solid when you close the door. Here is an example of no butyl in the fender vs butyl in the door.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/cN09Wvoe1Ps?feature=share

DieHarder likes this.
  7. GriffX

GriffX Member

What is the easiest way to remove the headliner? Do I need to remove the lower quater panel trim? (I hope not) (the guy who invents these christmas tree pins should be punished ;) )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.