Which Aftermarket HID kit is the Best?

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've been reading up on this half of the night and now I'm more confused than before. HIDXENONHEADLIGHTS.COM, Raxiom,. AM KIT, HID GUY.....??????? I've got to upgrade the headlights ASAP. It's driving me nuts. Yeah , I know I should've ordered the factory HID's but I had no clue that the Standard Headlights would suck so bad. Definately the worst headlights i've ever seen in a new car. My wife's 2007 Camry dim lights(Non HID) are better than my bright lights in the Mustang. All input is appreciated on what kit that you rcommend and why. Thanks

Last edited:

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score
I also am searching for an HID kit. But I wouldn't say the factory lights are horrible. They light the whole road with the Highs on...
Only reason I didnt order the HID's from factory is because i hate how they look...
And HID's in the Fogs would be great too...

stevenstarke

Reaction score
ddmtuning.com makes really affordable kits and they're warrantied for life. I've used them over 10 times.

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I get all of my kits from VVME. They are really good quality kits and last a long time. I have never had an issue and have 5 kits now. I have read up and heard nothing but bad things about DDM so i never got them. I love VVME and couldn't see my self with anything else. And even if you do get a problem with your lights they send the new part free with no return needed.

http://www.vvme.com/automotive/hid-headlights?zenid=gv4ggdevmqtuonv2uc8nbs693gbhvb12

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I got HID's for the car in both fogs and headlights from HIDGuy.com. I had one issue with it and they are warrentied for life so they took care of me. Then when I got the gt500 front end I needed a new kit for the fog lights(not the same bulb + lower wattage) and they hooked me up with a significantly lower price as I was a repeat customer. Really great guys to work with IMO..

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I got HID's for the car in both fogs and headlights from HIDGuy.com. I had one issue with it and they are warrentied for life so they took care of me. Then when I got the gt500 front end I needed a new kit for the fog lights(not the same bulb + lower wattage) and they hooked me up with a significantly lower price as I was a repeat customer. Really great guys to work with IMO..

I've actually wanted to try them. Sounds like good customer service.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hids without the correct projector housing are pointless. I hope if you do get hids that you buy the housings too or at least aim your factory housings down some. Oh but if it were me id buy from DDM Tuning or VVME.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
O just ordered some from ddm. Ill report back for you. I should have them in this weekend.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
retrofit. After a year with my HIDs.......i'm tired of them. I keep wishing on real HIDs with a projector. The projector is needed to get the cutoff and to keep the light from going everywhere. Before someone screams ricer, a good HID retrofit looks great in my opinion and is very functional. I've seen a few 10up Mustang guys do them with success, however they added a few bling bits that I felt wasn't needed. S197 stock headlights beg to be retrofitted. We have a perfect reflector bowl to mount a projector.

The raxiom stuff from aftermarket vendor are not a true quality projector. Its a halogen projector. I would hate to see what a 55w HID system would do to it after a long summer night drive.

I like to try doing this. Hell, I may try a Tacobill style write up on it in the pimpin it section.

Last edited:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Retro Solutions kit and if I had to do it again, I would probably just keep it stock. Very bright, but the bulbs vibrate like a jackhammer and I've tried every possible solution known to man.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score

I also have a kit from them. Works great so far.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I have the Retro Solutions kit and if I had to do it again, I would probably just keep it stock. Very bright, but the bulbs vibrate like a jackhammer and I've tried every possible solution known to man.

Isn't retro solutions still a PnP kit? If so that could be the reason. I thought of disassembling the headlight housing and modifying the halogen reflector to hold the FX45 infiniti projectors with the FX-4 lens and go to a more OEM range HID bulb temperature. All part from the retrofit source.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it is plug and play but arent the others as well? (HIDGUY.net, etc)

Isn't retro solutions still a PnP kit? If so that could be the reason. I thought of disassembling the headlight housing and modifying the halogen reflector to hold the FX45 infiniti projectors with the FX-4 lens and go to a more OEM range HID bulb temperature. All part from the retrofit source.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The raxiom stuff from aftermarket vendor are not a true quality projector. Its a halogen projector. I would hate to see what a 55w HID system would do to it after a long summer night drive.

Are you concerned about heat damaging the Raxiom projector? Don't HIDs put out less heat than halogen because of higher voltage and thus lower current?

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Yes, it is plug and play but arent the others as well? (HIDGUY.net, etc)

Yes, about every one of them are. I checked the site you said you bought yours from. At first it sounded like you had an actual retrofit, but then I saw they offered a 55w plug in kit like HIDGUY.net and etc. I current have a 35w PnP kit on my car, which I am tired of.

I'm not gonna disrespect the forum with link to other forums. This is mostly a tech focus forum and thank god for that. But I'll help with some picture example of a true HID retrofit instead:

IMG_7480.JPG

144710d1323199445-i-need-hids-2011-dscn8806.jpg

v8is8x.jpg

Honestly, I like the black shrouded projectors like the first one; offers the dark sinister look and reduces the bugeyed look common to projector bi-xenon headlights. The guy who did that one has opened a mustang forum based service like some of our powdercoating guys on here have. Really neat. He offers different styles I think like additions such as DRL LEDS in the headlight fins in the inner housing......which isn't my taste.

I like to try this myself.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Are you concerned about heat damaging the Raxiom projector? Don't HIDs put out less heat than halogen because of higher voltage and thus lower current?

I believe so. But my concern was mostly that raxiom most likely used a plastic (acrylic) lens, not glass like in OEM applications and the biggest issue to me would be having that plastic lens only a centimeter or two from that HID bulb especially if someone was to use a 55w HID system instead of a 35w. 55w system have melted (seen has a hazing effect) the plastic lens of many OEM foglights (which id usually of a thick sort)...so I would think a HID bulb right on top of a cheap plastic headlight projector lens would have someone running back to stock OEM lighting in no time. The OEM plastic lens has good distant from the bulb and is thick to boot. I can even proclaim that my aftermarket smoked OEM styled headlights with CCFL ring (really hate those now) have a thinner headlight lens. The aftermarket len is pliable to the touch, unlike my OEM headlights.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe so. But my concern was mostly that raxiom most likely used a plastic (acrylic) lens, not glass like in OEM applications and the biggest issue to me would be having that plastic lens only a centimeter or two from that HID bulb especially if someone was to use a 55w HID system instead of a 35w. 55w system have melted (seen has a hazing effect) the plastic lens of many OEM foglights (which id usually of a thick sort)...so I would think a HID bulb right on top of a cheap plastic headlight projector lens would have someone running back to stock OEM lighting in no time. The OEM plastic lens has good distant from the bulb and is thick to boot. I can even proclaim that my aftermarket smoked OEM styled headlights with CCFL ring (really hate those now) have a thinner headlight lens. The aftermarket len is pliable to the touch, unlike my OEM headlights.

Are you talking about the lens of the headlight housing or of the projector element itself? Because my OEM HID projector headlights have a plastic housing.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
No, The hazey orb looking piece in front of the actual bulb, the projector lens. 2010 and up use a Valeo HID system. I'm sure that piece is glass. Aftermarket halogen headlights with a projector mimicking that look I'm sure is plastic. The OEM headlight lens itself is plastic, yes.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back