Which gears

mofugr

Big Daddy
Reaction score
2006 GT, 5-speed, no track time, naturally aspirated and no plans to do anything else, car doesn't get driven a whole lot.

3.73 or 4.10 and why? Thanks.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't drive the car much then I would assume you would want it to be as much fun as it can be when you do. If that's the case 4:10's all the way. For the slight change in gas mileage they make the car WAY more fun to drive especially off the line. I've had mine for years now and wouldn't go with a lower numbered gear while na, for anything.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
5 speed auto or manual?

If 5 speed manual---in 06 didn't the manuals come with 3.55s standard? And if thats the case, why would you even consider 3.73s? That would be alot of money for a minor difference.

Use the search function, there are a million threads on this subject. Also, to answer the question we really need to know your rear tire size you run, and what mods are done to your car.

FnSweet06

forum member
Reaction score
5 speed auto or manual?

If 5 speed manual---in 06 didn't the manuals come with 3.55s standard? And if thats the case, why would you even consider 3.73s? That would be alot of money for a minor difference.

Use the search function, there are a million threads on this subject. Also, to answer the question we really need to know your rear tire size you run, and what mods are done to your car.

Im considering 4:10's on my 06. MOds: full exhaust, cai,tune and rear tire size 295's/35's/18's. Do i need to get it re tuned after putting in gears, if i dont how bad is my speedo gonna be off. i currently got a brenspeed tune do i need to get a new one from seth or can i manually do it on my xcal2 and still keep the 93 oct tune im currently running from him. currently running low 13's on street tires in the 1/4 mile, a change of gears gonna help me break 12's. and how bad would my gas miliage change. 80% of my driving is hwy.

Thanks, to anybody who can answer these questions.

GoVols

Reaction score
Im considering 4:10's on my 06. MOds: full exhaust, cai,tune and rear tire size 295's/35's/18's. Do i need to get it re tuned after putting in gears, if i dont how bad is my speedo gonna be off. i currently got a brenspeed tune do i need to get a new one from seth or can i manually do it on my xcal2 and still keep the 93 oct tune im currently running from him. currently running low 13's on street tires in the 1/4 mile, a change of gears gonna help me break 12's. and how bad would my gas miliage change. 80% of my driving is hwy.

I asked Brenspeed about gears and/or different size tires and they said both are user adjustable.

Differential

forum member
Reaction score
My car came with 3.73s, I like them a lot; the car doesn't seem stressed at all on the highway, and will knock down 22-3mpg @ 80mph... In town though I find myself wishing for more gear; if I was sure about staying NA, I'd go 4.30.

wsp08dkcandygt

jam band fan
Reaction score
4.10's if your staying n/a no matter what gears came stock. since it is really a weekend toy you shouldnt have to worry about gas miles. go for the fun factor and get 4.10's. :D

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I asked Brenspeed about gears and/or different size tires and they said both are user adjustable.

what he say just swap the gear ratio and revs per mile if a different tire size too

FnSweet06

forum member
Reaction score

adjustable with in the tune i got from them? i was thinking once i uploaded one of there tunes into my tuner it was a tune with the settings all set didnt know i can go in there and adjust them if wanted, correct or am i way off? Sorry havent played much w/ my tuner, im afraid to break shit :) then i'll be saying :helpme:

GoVols

Reaction score
adjustable with in the tune i got from them? i was thinking once i uploaded one of there tunes into my tuner it was a tune with the settings all set didnt know i can go in there and adjust them if wanted, correct or am i way off? Sorry havent played much w/ my tuner, im afraid to break shit :) then i'll be saying :helpme:

I got mine yesterday and have only looked at it so far... Waiting to go through another tank of 93 so I can go straight to that tune.

http://www.brenspeed.com/tech.html

The user adjustability video is apparently the older sct but I'd assume it works about the same.

Speeddmn

forum member
Reaction score
4.30s are an awesome gear for these cars.

I'm running 4.30's and it's my DD. Had it just over 2 years and have 9600 miles on it... It's like 4 miles a day work and back, and when (the family) head out of town we take the pathfinder.

I also have a 91 bronco i drive during hunting season/bad weather.

wsp08dkcandygt

jam band fan
Reaction score
I'm running 4.30's and it's my DD. Had it just over 2 years and have 9600 miles on it... It's like 4 miles a day work and back, and when (the family) head out of town we take the pathfinder.

I also have a 91 bronco i drive during hunting season/bad weather.

i can only imagine the way those gears feel with a daily driver.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
They are not bad at all.

I was actually running 4.56 gears in my daily for over a year. 70 miles one way to work too.

Luckily I only did it 3 times a week. but I was pulling about 250 miles per tank in a 2001 Mustang GT 2V

wsp08dkcandygt

jam band fan
Reaction score
They are not bad at all.

I was actually running 4.56 gears in my daily for over a year. 70 miles one way to work too.

Luckily I only did it 3 times a week. but I was pulling about 250 miles per tank in a 2001 Mustang GT 2V

i bet the acceleration was insane. pretty damn good gas mileage for such a steep gear too. i want 4.10's but i keep hearing all the horror stories on the installs and the gears whining. and for the $650-750 parts and labor costs to get them installed, i dont want to deal with whining gears

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
i bet the acceleration was insane. pretty damn good gas mileage for such a steep gear too. i want 4.10's but i keep hearing all the horror stories on the installs and the gears whining. and for the $650-750 parts and labor costs to get them installed, i dont want to deal with whining gears

We have had no issues with gear whining with 4.10's

They only gear that we've had problems with is the motive 3.90's

We fix the problem with a little friction modifier which we can get for you.

We use FRPP non-motive gears as well as Yukon for race cars b/c they are a hell of a lot stronger.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back