Who else has peeling saleen wheels?

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
So who else has the chrome peeling off there saleen wheels? The inside of all 4 of mine are peeling badly. 3 of them are 2 years old, and the other was replaced in august because the other one got curbed.

The new wheel has the chrome peeling off inside the lug nut holes. I've never used an impact gun on them, and no one else has ever changed my wheels. So while washing it the other day I attempted to break off the flake in the lug nut hole. Well it came off, and with it came half the chrome on the hub area, and two full spokes......

Not fucking impressed. I called saleen and was told too bad!! Since they were not sold on a saleen car there was zero warranty. I think that's bullshit. These wheels have never seen salt, snow or bad weather period, and it's definitely a factory defect!! The chrome wasn't even adheared to the damn nickel underneith it!!

Any one else share this delima?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2006 Saleen S281 with 5k miles on it and the chrome plating is in the same condition yours are, pitting on the inside and in the lug nuts. Im going to powerder coat them at some point but the finish does not look bad, yet...

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
Haha. Call saleen on it, they will tell you some interesting things about your wheels. What a scum bag company. I heard every thing from how salt in the winter caused it, to over heating them while polishing, to leaving brake dust on them all within a 2 min conversation. My car is stored winters, not EVER dirty, especially with brake dust, and I hand wash and HAND polish my wheels!!!

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
They always have peeled.
Mine did it on my 03 Cobra with Saleen wheels years ago.
Replicas are much better

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
I have saleen darkhorse rims have had them on car for 1 year 3 months, been to track with them, rain with them, snow with them, daily driver, no peeling.. However i took them to rim shop , there is protective coating you can apply to rims, just like the invisible cover that goes on front nose of cars. you have to look really hard to tell it is there , otherwise you want notice it. Then if you notice it . I"m going to say back the fuck up your looking to close. .... GRIMS Tire and Battery sent mine off to get done. it was 150 dollars per rim.

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
I talked to a chrome shop today. It seems the issue is that the chrome job is cheap...... Since the wheels are made in china, they suck.

The wheels should have a copper dip, nickel, then chrome. Probably to cut costs, they skip the copper step, and that leaves the nickel on bare aluminum. The chrome guy said that you need 110% perfect conditions to make nickel stick to aluminum. He said the copper bonds very well to aluminum, and acts like a primer. He said no matter how good of a job you do, with out that copper layer, the nickel will lift and bubble/peel.

So here, I raise a glass to saleen! Cheap mother fuckers, who higher the lowest bidder!

I wonder how well my super charger is built.......!

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a couple of sets that are doing the same thing. Saleen's have always been very poorly built cars unforchunately.

Sam Gordon

Reaction score
Has anyone had them repaired ? I'm new to the saleen club. 2001 saleen with 13k miles. 3 out of 4 wheels are peeling in the wheel well. Perhaps there is a wheel exchange program for saleen wheels?

20210930_181003.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Chrome shops should be able to dissolve that off, but its not worth it because of cost

Weld will sell you some nice wheels.

**probably still made in China

Best bet would be used oem wheels.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
So who else has the chrome peeling off there saleen wheels? The inside of all 4 of mine are peeling badly. 3 of them are 2 years old, and the other was replaced in august because the other one got curbed.

The new wheel has the chrome peeling off inside the lug nut holes. I've never used an impact gun on them, and no one else has ever changed my wheels. So while washing it the other day I attempted to break off the flake in the lug nut hole. Well it came off, and with it came half the chrome on the hub area, and two full spokes......

Not fucking impressed. I called saleen and was told too bad!! Since they were not sold on a saleen car there was zero warranty. I think that's bullshit. These wheels have never seen salt, snow or bad weather period, and it's definitely a factory defect!! The chrome wasn't even adheared to the damn nickel underneith it!!

Any one else share this delima?

Lots of company rules are that way. Some will not even sell you repair parts if you purchased their product used and not from them. I have a $1000 tracker telescope in need of a $50 electric part. No way would they sell it to me because I am not the original purchaser.

Laga

Reaction score
I had a set of chrome deep dish bullitt wheels from AM. Not the highest quality, I know, but the car is not driven in the winter and is kept in a heated garage. I figured if I take care of them, I could avoid problems. Boy was I wrong. In less than 2 years, the area of the rim that makes contact with the tire corroded so bad the wheels would not hold air. They still looked great, but they wouldn’t hold air.
Unless you are willing to spent $2K on a set of chrome wheels, you are going to get crap that peels and rusts.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
I talked to a chrome shop today. It seems the issue is that the chrome job is cheap...... Since the wheels are made in china, they suck.

The wheels should have a copper dip, nickel, then chrome. Probably to cut costs, they skip the copper step, and that leaves the nickel on bare aluminum. The chrome guy said that you need 110% perfect conditions to make nickel stick to aluminum. He said the copper bonds very well to aluminum, and acts like a primer. He said no matter how good of a job you do, with out that copper layer, the nickel will lift and bubble/peel.

So here, I raise a glass to saleen! Cheap mother fuckers, who higher the lowest bidder!

I wonder how well my super charger is built.......!

Same with the CS-40 wheels from Shelby, cheap chyna crap. They'd have been better off just polishing them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back