Windshield washer issue

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The other day while using the windshield washer it suddenly stopped spraying. So I thought maybe it was low so I popped the hood and topped it off today. It only took maybe half a quart, great its not out of fluid. I got back in the car and tried it again but it still wouldnt spray. I can hear the pump running but no fluid is coming out. I doubt its the nozzles themselves being clogged because what are the odds of both of them clogging at the same time. Thoughts? Anyone with a similar issue?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Check to make sure you don't have a split line that is just letting all the fluid blow out. If your lines are good, then remove the pump and see if it's dirty. I've seen them packed with years of gunk and dirt. Quick cleaning should fix that.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is also one slip joint as I recall that can separate

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I helped a coworker with a similar issue but was on a Ford Fusion, made noise and no spray. Pop the hood and doesn't appear there is a leak. However, take down the hood insulation and the insulation was absorbing the washer fluid. The "T" fitting nipple was broken.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys Ill check it out tomorrow. Hopefully its something stupid thats easily fixable, this car has been a headache recently.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I took a peek under the hood insulation and around the resivoir and found no leaks. It will sometimes dribble out if I hold the stalk back and let the pump run long enough so Im thinking its the pump itself.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Mine had a clog at the "T" connector under the sound mat on the hood.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt look too closely at the lines under the hood but do those fittings come off or is it all glued together? I was thinking I could remove that T and see if I can get anything to come out there.

lklaus

Reaction score
My wife's Hyundai had a similar problem. Turned out that all the fluid in the bottle had jelled up somehow. Not frozen, but like loose jello. Just had to clean out the bottle, but what a pain getting to it.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt look too closely at the lines under the hood but do those fittings come off or is it all glued together? I was thinking I could remove that T and see if I can get anything to come out there.
They are push fittings. So you should be able to pull them apart and reseat them when done.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been way too busy to do anything with this car since I work 2 jobs 7 days a week... Soon I hope to get to this, I already bought a new pump so Im just going to go ahead and replace it. I did notice the bottom bolt is missing, does anyone know what size it is?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would flush out the reservoir before putting on the new pump as well. Dont recall bolt size mine all went in the spare bucket when I removed it all. Probably a 10mm/common size.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back