windshield washer pump won't work when cold

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
So a boring but annoying problem, my windshield washer pump doesn't turn on when below freezing. I replaced the pump and the fluid isn't frozen. It works fine when above 32 degrees. I am listening for the motor and it's not coming on. What else could it be? Thanks!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most logical explanation would be the line is freezing somewhere. Are you sure the fluid is rated to -20 or lower?

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Trust me I've been thinking the same thing. But it's the usual blue fluid, -25 I believe. Temps here are about 15. Plus I can't hear the motor even trying to run.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
The blue fluid I have had it freeze around 20 degrees several times even though says -25. I only use blue now on in the summer. 2 winters ago my work van E250 at several 20 degree days the whole tank froze. Plus froze in the pump and made it sound like the pump wasn't running. After a huge project of taking a 1/4 of the engine bay apart I got to the tank and got it all defrosted (took hour in hot water) drained it out, put winter grade fluid in and was find for rest of the winter.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
^^^Yep^^^

Run the pink stuff in winter. My son's Kia froze same as yours...sux when driving in slop.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You might be able to add some methanol to the mix.... b4 it gets too cold. In your case, it's too late.
Typ wind shield wiper fluid is aprx 30% methanol. I had the same thing happen in a work van, years ago, chevy astro van...and it wasn't much below freezing either. The plastic tank was huge in that van....with this huge block of ice floating in it....and this was the pink stuff. A real piss off.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Could also be the relay (if there's a relay) that controls that circuit.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Most logical explanation would be the line is freezing somewhere. Are you sure the fluid is rated to -20 or lower?
Good though. However if the line was freezing, the pump would still try and turn on. My thought would be the pump itself breaking down internally and when it is that cold the motor shuts down

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back