Wrench light of doom

Orndorff8908

Reaction score
Hey guys
2005 4.0 brand new engine after timing chain broke and I’m getting the wrench light. I’ve put a new fuel pressure regulator on, new throttle body, more throttle body motor, new tps and the maf sensor is clean. The car will start but if I rev it up to 2000 rpms in park the light comes on and stays on. I tried to drive it with a the new throttle body on it last night and all was good until I hit 60 and then it came on and went into limp mode. My security light and battery light came on for a second. Shut the car off it goes away; rev it and it comes back. But it never came on at first after I put the new throttle body on until after I drove it. I’ve calibrated it, reset the battert etc and I’m at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks as always

Orndorff8908

Reaction score
I’m hoping a friend of mine who works at a diagnostic shop can come over tomorrow and pull some. The last time he did it all it snowed was the timing was off and no compression so I don’t know what happened from last week taking the engine out and putting the new one in. Everything is stock still and didn’t have this wrench light until after I swapped the motor.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
without codes there's no direction to look.....

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to check the wiring to that sensor, see if anything is cut or shorted.

Orndorff8908

Reaction score
Well I noticed last night that the wire to the crank sensor is wrapped in aluminum tape and some of it was exposed. But it has bare wire that was wrapped around the two wires that actually go into the plug. But the bare wires don’t even go to the plug. And it’s not bare from melting or anything because there’s nothing burnt and no signs of melting. But the bare wire was coiled around the two wires down to the plug. I’ve never seen anything like this before. The new crank did make it run for about 20 minutes and no wrench light so I started cleaning up my garage with the car running and it died now I’m back to square one again.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I would double check your throttle body. I can't remember where I read it, but remember that they are really touchy if not calibrated correctly.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Disconnect the intake tube from the throttle body and with the ignition on/engine off, ask an assistant to slowly depress the accelerator pedal to the floor while you observe the movement of the throttle blade. If it doesn't open progressively all the way you've found your problem.

Orndorff8908

Reaction score
I got it fixed last night. It was the crank sensor and the throttle. The crank sensor wasn’t letting the throttle body come up on the scanner, but once I put the sensor on and my buddy came back over it then showed the throttle body. So I drove it today for about 40 minutes so all is good. Just glad it wasn’t in the wiring. Thanks for the help guys.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back