X pipe vs H pipe

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
offroad x pipes with boomtubes, loudmouths, etc. sounded like total garbage on the 3v cars. Raspier than a 95 year old chain smoker.

They seem to sound better on these newer cars but it's still a hard decision. Luckily since the difference in performance is practically negligible it's harder to "go wrong".

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I contacted Lethal. They told me that there wasnt enough difference power wise to be concerned. They said that choice depends on what type of sound you want. H more deep muscle car , X more exotic. Their words

I agree with that but if I wanted to grab every ounce of power out of a car primarily used for racing I personally would get the x. I have an h on my car currently which I'm happy with.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Corsas with anything offrroad will sound like shit. They will be raspy with either midpipe. Ive had the sports and the extremes and they sounded like pure ass when I went to an offroad midpipe.

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
Corsas with anything offrroad will sound like shit. They will be raspy with either midpipe. Ive had the sports and the extremes and they sounded like pure ass when I went to an offroad midpipe.

I have Corsa Extremes. If/when I go long tubes, I will also be running high flow cats with H pipe. No resonators.

Any comments ?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
X pipes sound like doo doo.
No offense, but that's nothing more than preference for a rumbly sounding exhaust.

You won't notice any difference in power between the two. Other than headers, exhaust is all about sound preference.
This ↑↑↑ is exactly it.

I think the total opposite. H is deeper, X is raspier.
I really wish people would find a different word than "raspier". Raspier is what a muffler with broken baffle plate welds sounds like. Call an "X" "snarly" if you will.

I contacted Lethal. They told me that there wasnt enough difference power wise to be concerned. They said that choice depends on what type of sound you want. H more deep muscle car , X more exotic. Their words
Believe them.

Any comments from guys with experience with both configurations would be appreciated.
Oh and I will be running the high flow cat midpipe, not the off road.
The engine is a 5.0 Coyote by the way.
In different cars, I have run an H-pipe system (my '08 GT, still with its OE exhaust) and an X-pipe sort of system ('79 Malibu, SBC)

I understand that not everybody appreciates the X-pipe sound. Whether that's a real preference for the sound itself or whether it's a desire to retain the traditional muscle car sound for its associations is a separate question (that you might want to ask yourself).

By description, the H has a rough, somewhat choppy character to it. An X is by necessity a lot smoother, since it removes the cause of the heavy bass rumble of the H or separate dual systems.

Here's what the difference looks like when plotted. Since I generated this when working up the SBC X system (it used a huge 4" x 4" converter for the X connection) the banks are noted "odd" and "even". Use "left" and "right" instead. The rumble is the widely spaced big peaks, which come from two cylinders in the same bank firing one right after the other. These pulses alternate right side to left, which you can hear if you stand behind such an exhaust system and know what to listen for.

The X better balances the flow as well as the peak pressure pulses, as both pipes really see equal shares of all eight exhaust pulses. The result is a smoother, much less choppy sound that does not bounce back and forth between the two pipes. FWIW, an X should get relatively better as compared to an H as muffler and other downstream restriction levels increase

Enjoy.

norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture5556-v8exhaustpulsing1smaller.jpg

What I am finding more and more is that the rumbly exhaust that used to say "muscle car here" now says "I'm a big-ass truck" (with all the negative implications) instead. Personally, I don't want to be associated with that side of vehicle enthusiasm at all, and I'll do another X if/when the Mustang's OE system goes Tango Uniform.

Norm

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
offroad x pipes with boomtubes, loudmouths, etc. sounded like total garbage on the 3v cars. Raspier than a 95 year old chain smoker.

They seem to sound better on these newer cars but it's still a hard decision. Luckily since the difference in performance is practically negligible it's harder to "go wrong".

I'd agree with O/R pipes and muffler deletes sound like ass on the 3v, I ran Boomtubes with LT's, O/R X for 2 weeks (and it sounded terrible) until I mid mounted SLP LM2's after that it sounded pretty good.

I'd disagree O/R pipes and muffler deletes sound any better on the Coyote, a guy in a club here has Kooks LT's O/R-X and deletes and it sounds horrendous,, It's loud but sounds like a 2 year old squalling "Whhhhhyyyyyy, Whhhhyyyyyyy,, Whhhyyyyyyyy", at the top of it's lungs IMVHO.

These mutltivalve cars need some kinda' muffler to clean up the exhaust, I finnally installed Borla Stingers on my car and this is the best sounding exhaust I've ever had, and trust me I tried a lot of different combo's.

So far the best sounding 5-oh I've heard had GT500 axlebacks. Not terribly loud but it had a nice growl.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Just heard a Grabber Blue 3 - valve drove by as I was walkong into work. It made me remember how crappy the 5.0 sounds compared to the other mod motors.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
What I am finding more and more is that the rumbly exhaust that used to say "muscle car here" now says "I'm a big-ass truck" (with all the negative implications) instead. Personally, I don't want to be associated with that side of vehicle enthusiasm at all, and I'll do another X if/when the Mustang's OE system goes Tango Uniform.

Norm

While the theory is sound the gains are minimal at best. As for the sound it's all personal preference. I would rather the "muscle car sound" than the sound of a 1980 Chevy C1500 with a 5.7L straight exhaust with glass packs (raspy). I would rather not be associated with that sound. lol

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I have stock headers, MRT Boss off-road h-pipe, and Borla ATAK axle-back. I'm happy with it.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Corsa's with a catted x midpipe and no resonators.

Here is my old car with corsa's, an stock catted h midpipe, and no resonators

You be the judge on which sounds better an x or an h.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I really wish people would find a different word than "raspier". Raspier is what a muffler with broken baffle plate welds sounds like. Call an "X" "snarly" if you will.
People use "rasp", because that is what it sounds like. I would not describe it as "snarly" at all. When I had the full exhaust on my previous Camaro installed at Kooks facility, they actually referred to the sound as rasp as well when we were designing it and when I told them what I didn't want it to sound like...:naughty1:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Brian, thats why i dont have them on my car anymore. They lasted about a month on the new car and i couldnt take it anymore. My ears were bleeding.....lol

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others, it's a Coke or Pepsi argument.
Both sides have an opinion on why their product is superior but at the end of the day, both taste much better with Rum.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back