X pipe vs H pipe

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
People use "rasp", because that is what it sounds like. I would not describe it as "snarly" at all. When I had the full exhaust on my previous Camaro installed at Kooks facility, they actually referred to the sound as rasp as well when we were designing it and when I told them what I didn't want it to sound like...:naughty1:
Of course they're going to tell you what you want to hear in terms that will make you even more against the other choice - they have a vested interest in making and keeping you happy in the way you described to them. Everybody who greatly prefers the H will say the same thing, and by now this will mostly be a matter of parroting back the same word that somebody before them used to describe it.

Find me a person who appreciates the X-pipe sound and also uses "raspy" to describe it. Just one.

And maybe find a X-pipe system with the right mufflers on it to listen to.

Norm

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Of course they're going to tell you what you want to hear in terms that will make you even more against the other choice - they have a vested interest in making and keeping you happy in the way you described to them. Everybody who greatly prefers the H will say the same thing, and by now this will mostly be a matter of parroting back the same word that somebody before them used to describe it.

Find me a person who appreciates the X-pipe sound and also uses "raspy" to describe it. Just one.

And maybe find a X-pipe system with the right mufflers on it to listen to.

Norm
Guess you miss-read what I said. THEY used the word rasp when asking me if I wanted a deep or raspy set-up. I know a few who think rasp sounds good. Just read one comment on this forum the other day actually. Personally, I think it sounds like poop, the end.

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
Corsas with anything offrroad will sound like shit. They will be raspy with either midpipe. Ive had the sports and the extremes and they sounded like pure ass when I went to an offroad midpipe.

I watched and listened to your videos. The Corsas definitely sounded better with the stock catted H pipe , than they did with an X pipe. IMO.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
THEY used the word rasp when asking me if I wanted a deep or raspy set-up.
Fair enough.

That makes it their prejudice trying to influence your choice because "deep" has a pleasant ring to it while "rasp" is a rather negative description, kind of like a hoarse voice in a person ("hoarse" is in fact described by the word "raspy").

Norm

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Right now i have classic chambered mufflers welded in where the stock resonators were and custom made axle backs with a shorter classic chambered muffler. Similar to Stainless Works catback for 1/3 of the price. I had GT500's on my car for about 18000 miles and loved the sound but i just wanted something different.

Rick Simons

Reaction score
I like the sound from both of them, though I favor the X a little due to its semi-exotic sound. Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on an X-pipe if this one hadn't come with the headers. I can't speak to the power difference as I did more than one mod at a time (yes, I broke the golden rule of tuning/testing) when the X pipe went on. And I wouldn't have taken the time to put it on except it kept staring at me from the shop rafters, taunting me, daring me to install it.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Wow how did you manage to dig this one up?

He at least he’s using the search function lol
I have Kooks LT headers with the hi-flow catted X that I have yet to install. I wish I had picked up a brand new Kooks H a couple of years ago when I had the chance. I’ll go with what I have I suppose.
BTW, I am running the FRPP-GTA (Foose) mufflers now. They sound great but a bit too quiet with the OEM cats and H. I’m sure the LT’s will cure the quiet issue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've also used an H, X and Prochamber. Sound wise, I prefer the deep, gurgling rumble of an H-pipe, but cannot stand the drone when paired with Borla stingers and Borla ATAK axle-back mufflers. Currently, I'm running the Pypes cut n clamp X-pipe to the "OEM" cats paired with Borla ATAK axle-backs. IMO, if running the X crossover with the stock cats in place? they don't seem to have such a raspy or tinny sound to them compared to running them with cat delete pipes. Overall, the Borla ATAK mufflers still produce a nice deep exhaust tone with no noticeable rasp or tinny sound to them with my current setup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back