6R80 shift points

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
The wot shift points are available to set in the tune. Do any of you guys use those? It would take some figuring to come up the each gear ratio, tire size and rpm to get it figured out what value for each shift. I assume if my rev limit is 7100, I would do 7000 for shifts. It seems like now if it spins in the lower gears it makes it hit the rev limit

13 GT TVS 6R80

I run 555R on the street and they kind of suck! I have about 600hp and stock converter and it hits them pretty hard on a downshift.

13 GT TVS 6R80

Last edited by a moderator:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep hitting that rev limiter and you be buying a new engine. Why are you letting it shift at such a low rpm?

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
Keep hitting that rev limiter and you be buying a new engine. Why are you letting it shift at such a low rpm?

It's stock motor with a stage 1 tvs and the tune has the rev limit at 7100. I don't know but the fuel system and injectors probably won't support much more rpm. I don't want it to hit the limit.

13 GT TVS 6R80

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
47lbs injectors will support plenty more on gasoline. What pulley size? Who is tuning it?

Bump the RPM limit up more so you stay off the rev limiter as mentioned.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
OK. I tune several TVS cars running an 82mm pulley on 47lbs. injectors with open airboxes that are fine for fuel. You have plenty of room left.

The key is staying off the limiter.

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
OK. I tune several TVS cars running an 82mm pulley on 47lbs. injectors with open airboxes that are fine for fuel. You have plenty of room left.

The key is staying off the limiter.

You think 7500 rev limit?

13 GT TVS 6R80

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
I loaded the new tune and it acts different when it spins. It still shifts up, but does not downshift back as quick. I logged the rpm and it never got over 7000. I think it is going to be ok now. I did leave limit at 7500. I will have my pro's on when I go to the track next time.

13 GT TVS 6R80

Last edited:

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
What everyone is on about is, especially on FI, if you tag the limiter the harmonics can destroy your oil pump gears and frag your engine. There is little value in spinning a TVS car to 7500 on the stock GT manifold and I think you are pushing 47s pretty hard doing that. However, spinning it to 7 and leaving the limiter at 7.5 is fine. There will always be a little rev flare on the shifts so a touch of room is good.

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
What everyone is on about is, especially on FI, if you tag the limiter the harmonics can destroy your oil pump gears and frag your engine. There is little value in spinning a TVS car to 7500 on the stock GT manifold and I think you are pushing 47s pretty hard doing that. However, spinning it to 7 and leaving the limiter at 7.5 is fine. There will always be a little rev flare on the shifts so a touch of room is good.

I do understand the reasons to avoid banging the limiter. And that being said, I knew I had a big problem but tuner only said to bump it to 7100. And I don't need to go any higher than 7000 for my shift points. I feel better now that I should be far clear of banging the limit. I logged it with the torque app only but it showed that I never exceeded 7000. I think I am in better shape now.
Thank you for your input

13 GT TVS 6R80

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

What the Hell are you talking about?

The intake manifold is replaced with the TVS setup. There is no issue taking the car past 7000 with the TVS so long as the rev limiter isn't banged off of frequently and there is enough fuel.

Harmonics aren't the reason the oil pump gears go south with a supercharger.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Yer right...duh, I had Vortech in my mind and I'm jacked up on prednisone and morphine so, take anything I say with a grain of salt right now...Apologies to those whom I may have offended.

You will get a lot of discussion going trying to determine what causes OPG failure anywhere. Some say rpm, some say HP/engine load, some say tagging the limiter and creating harmonic fracture.

Definitely don't hit the limiter with any kind of artificial aspiration.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back