8.8 rear end assembly question.

Laga

Reaction score
Putting rear end together after replacing rear axle seals. Did not notice this difference when I removed the center locking pin. One side has small notches, the other side larger notches. Does it make a difference which way the notches go? It goes in both ways.
7B4162D3-F85E-4ED2-934E-EB9709A1C9C7.jpeg D5DC0FAB-2B3E-44BC-B741-69249D836CC7.jpeg

MrBhp

Reaction score
Probably not, since I have overlooked that multiple times. Either it doesn't matter or I've been luckily putting it in correct.

Laga

Reaction score
Thanks.
I’m guessing it doesn’t matter. I did a couple of searches Before posting here and couldn’t find anything. I’m going to take a close look and see if I can spot any witness marks from the lock bolt. Unless I hear otherwise, it’s going in sometime tomorrow.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe the second picture has some thread shadow. Could be that was the side with the thread going into it. Just a little bit of thread when it runs out of its mating thread. I just watched an "Eric the car Guy" video. He was tearing down an 8.8. I just learned a new trick. Run a rag into the gears to keep it from turning when you're taking that bolt out. Jeez. How did I not know this??? Is this common knowledge? I thought I knew everything. Apparently my wife IS right.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back