Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long rant!

Last Year I started my build as seen here and needed to complete a few things for this year. I was getting nowhere out of the hole with a 2400 stall converter so I got a 3500 stall from PI. Then a friend (DirtyDogOfTheDesert) decided he was parting out some of his mods & selling his Mustang so I couldn’t pass up the chance to pick up his ATI balancer & 12 rib Procharger pulley set up with a 3.1 pulley. I was a little worried about fuel (octane) issues with more boost so I also picked up the Labonte meth injection system he had purchased but never installed. Thanks a lot Brian. I also had a roll bar (pic below) that I never got installed so that had to go in. Knowing that with some additional power I would need to get it to the ground so I picked up some Racestars, 15x10 with 28x12.5 ET Streets and 15x3.5 Racestars with 28x7.5 MT Sportsmans.

After installing everything I just had to wait for Eric Brooks to come out for a tuning session (more thanks to Brian). Mid June I finally got the car on the rollers only to find my fuel system was spiking near the top end (5500 rpm`s). Not knowing what the issue was I swapped out the MDM for the dual FPDM`s with the same result. Brian was able to locate another set of GT500 pumps so the pumps were swapped and again had the same problems. After some input from Eric, I then decided to do the fuel system right (for the second time) & ordered a Lethal Dual pump return style system. After installing the fuel system it was the waiting game again until I could arrange a remote tuning session with Eric & our local dyno shop.

July 23rd I was able to get it back on the rollers to complete the tune. The car put down 582 RWHP & 531 RWTQ (pic below). Not too bad for an automatic with a loose converter & no lock up. Now I had to wait 3 weeks until I was back from holidays to try it out at the track. First run I left the line from idle (shakedown run) and ran a 11.14 at 126.83 mph. Next run I left off the TB at about 2800 rpm & ran a 10.95 at 126.99 mph with a 1.761 60ft. After a couple of index runs & losing out of the competition, the track called out for more test & tune runs so I figured I would see what the car would do. I left off the TB hard but as soon as I hit second gear the car fell flat on it’s face. Only good from that run was a 1.628 60ft. Tried another run with the same result. WTF.

After 2 months of diagnosing the problem (MAF would spike & AF would go rich) which included, shutting off the meth system, changing the MAF, rewiring the MAF and checking all the MAF electrical we finally found that the Meth solenoid was not closing and meth was constantly draining into the Procharger piping. As soon as a good blast of air would come through the piping it would pick up the meth and blow it past the MAF and into the intake causing the over fueling. After clearing the meth from the piping & draining the meth tank the car is running like a champ (just in time to get parked for the winter). At least I know when it comes back out in the spring it will be ready to go. Based on the 60ft I was able pull, I think it should have a 10.6 in it next year.

Roll Bar.JPG

Dyno 2010.jpg

In Race Trim

Racestar1.JPG

Racestar2.JPG

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
Rick, glad you found that gremlin! Definitely some good track numbers at your elevation!

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now I just have to wait another 6 months to get it back to the track :mad2:
Here's a vid from on the rollers.

[SFIRE]2d890658-9911-4cb3-90ca-9e1b016e4ff8[/SFIRE]

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back