HVAC Blower fan going?

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
As you guys might have seen from one or two of my other posts, I'm eating blower motor resistors right now. Last week I changed by blower motor resistor because speeds 1-3 were shot. The new Motorcraft replacement worked great at first, but this morning I smelled the magic smoke again and sure enough the speed I was on -- #1 -- stopped working. That was about an hour's use. I took a closer look at the electrical connector:

IMG_20140519_203057.jpg

Time to start troubleshooting.

Some quick searches show that the HVAC switch and the blower fan seem to be the most likely culprits. I pulled out the blower fan, this is what I saw:

IMG_20140519_204646.jpg

IMG_20140519_204711.jpg

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I know the best way to tell is to measure the current draw while the fan's spinning. Does anyone have any idea how much it should draw if I jumper it to the battery?

I also did a spin test, but I have no clue how much its supposed to turn. I flicked it with my fingers and got about 1/2 - 3/4 turn out of it. It doesn't spin totally freely, but I don't know if its supposed to

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
sounds like the fan is drawing to much amperage meaning resistance is fu-tile ! i would put a fan in it. i may have a spare , let me look , if you need it its yours if i have it

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Is it easy to get these fans out? Looks like you can just drop it right out based on the lack of comments about taking the entire dashboard out. Mine has been making noise in cold weather as long as I've owned the car.. haha.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, that would be awesome if you had a spare! I'm really interested to see if a known good fan has the same kind of resistance.

As far as removing it goes...yeah dead simple. Just disconnect the plug and 3 8mm screws later it drops right out. plenty of room.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back