Impact of torque converter for autocross

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I had started another thread about tuning the stock 5R55. The question came up on installing an aftermarket torque converter. I've seen lots of information on the impact these have on drag racing. But I haven't seen anything on what the impact would be on something like autocrossing? Anyone have any feedback on this or real life experience?

Here's the other thread http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113415

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
It will have an impact, but I'd think as long as your car is geared correctly
(diff) and you have it in the correct gear(trans) you won't need anything but a stock converter. You might be able to improve off idle performance a little, but I would think most aftermarket converters are drag race oriented and would stall to high for autocross, causing you to loose traction too easily coming out of corners.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It will have an impact, but I'd think as long as your car is geared correctly
(diff) and you have it in the correct gear(trans) you won't need anything but a stock converter. You might be able to improve off idle performance a little, but I would think most aftermarket converters are drag race oriented and would stall to high for autocross, causing you to loose traction too easily coming out of corners.

You're going to want a stock stall speed converter, both for the reason listed above and the fact that I believe a higher stall will increase the lag between pedal input and putting power to the pavement. That's not an issue revving up the engine to the converter's stall speed at the start line of a drag strip, but it is certainly an issue when you need precise throttle control. I've never autocrossed an automatic car with a high stall converter, however, I know a guy with a restomod Monte Carlo that has a high stall converter, and he hates it for autocross.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back