Midmounting mufflers = Goldilocks?

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I had the bassani exhaust, mods in signature, with everything else in the exhaust setup completely stock. It was just a tad too loud, I got some drone around 2k rpm and the wife didn't like riding in it because of those two things. So I recently put the stock exhaust back on and now I think its way too quiet. So I'm trying to find something that's just right, Goldilocks :)

I've done some searching around and it seems that most people like a couple of options. One is the GTA ford exhaust, but it seems that is hard to come by now. Second is to add in a set of mid mounted mufflers, like the pypes M-80. Since I already have the Bassani's I'm leaning towards trying out some pypes M-80's.

So do you think that adding in a set of M-80's plus the Bassani's with everything else stock is going to give me a sound somewhere between stock and Bassani alone? Will that quiet it down some?

Thanks!

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry. Its a 2005 GT Automatic, 3V. It's got a completely stock exhaust setup, including stock cats.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
OK, because the newer Mustangs have resonators from the factory.

I had a slightly different situation with my Bullitt but the same desire to tone down the exhaust without starting from scratch. I spliced in some Vibrant resonators after the H pipe and it took out a lot of harshness without losing the deep tone. They will all probably work about the same, the longer the resonator the more reduction in noise. The cheaper ones may rust out quicker than the higher quality ones.

In your case I might just investigate other muffler options somewhere in between the Bassanis and stock exhaust. I recommend some sort of chambered muffler rather than a flow through. You can probably sell the Bassanis and buy something else cheaper than adding resonators.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
Check out the Borla Touring. I have those and if the price is right I may just let them go.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
My car has pypes headers and off road x pipe with Borla Touring. I have a little bit of resonance around 2500rpm or 70mph, but I can still hear my music, conversations, and gear whine. Its a unique sound with those mufflers. From inside it gives an exotic type sound at low throttle loads and in Borla fashion it opens up quite a bit when WOT. I can find some videos if you need.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
This is mine when I first put the Borla Touring on a few months ago. Lethal O/R H-pipe is the only other exhaust mod on it. Rev's were up to 3k to avoid angry neighbors at the time.

Like cone said, a bit of drone around 2,000-2,500rpm (65-70mph), but not as bad of a drone as you would hear with Flowmasters.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry. Its a 2005 GT Automatic, 3V. It's got a completely stock exhaust setup, including stock cats.

On my 2010 auto, with same 3v eng, and all stock exhaust, it was too quiet. Swapped to FRPP frs-500 mufflers. Way better, zero drone, but expensive at $600 to $700. Tips are 304 SS. Muffler is 406 SS.

Replaced the oem exhaust manifold + oem cats... with jba ceramic LT's and catted H. Way too loud + drone @ 1900 rpm. Fix was M80's welded in..after the H.. and just b4 the axle. Problem solved.

In your case, with oem exhaust manifold + cats.... I would swap to a different muffler 1st...and not a flow through.

Last edited:

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to try out a set of resonators to see if that solves the issue.

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
stagger the mid pipes, it should cut down on the drone.

Just get a pair of these http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Vibrant%20Performance%20Bottle-Style%20Resonator%201792 and have them welded into your pipes after the mid pipe. Stagger them so they are about 8 inches apart. Then put your Bassnni back on. You will be very happy with the sound and it wont cost much.

Interested in doing the same. Mine is loud with Kooks LTs, off road H and Stingers. Don't mind the volume so much but I have a rasp/trumpet at 2,500rpm I want to clear up. Forgive my ignorance but what difference does the staggering make compared to having them parallel?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interested in doing the same. Mine is loud with Kooks LTs, off road H and Stingers. Don't mind the volume so much but I have a rasp/trumpet at 2,500rpm I want to clear up. Forgive my ignorance but what difference does the staggering make compared to having them parallel?

Helps eliminate the drone that some systems have.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, drone is caused by exhaust resonating at a certain frequency and by staggering the two midmufflers you are causing two different frequencies, one from each pipe at a certain RPM, thus eliminating the drone.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, drone is caused by exhaust resonating at a certain frequency and by staggering the two midmufflers you are causing two different frequencies, one from each pipe at a certain RPM, thus eliminating the drone.

Somewhat correct. If the exhaust is symmetrical on both sides, you are essentially creating a giant tuning fork which causes the drone. Staggering the resonators, or changing the design on each side (such as the OEM resonators being flat on opposite sides), keeps the sound waves of equal frequencies from clashing (which causes drone).

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Appreciate the input fellas. Very interesting. Thanks a lot.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
When I was NA cammed I ran the M-80 mid muffler setup for a long time both catted and catless. O/R the M80's are screaming loud with lots of cruise drone and that dreaded 2500-3000rpm rasp. I liked it. I also had a highflow catted midpipe for smog. When I run the catted midpipe its still loud on the go-pedal but it sounds very clean normal driving. Hardly any drone and no raspy 2.5k-3k trumpet.

On most exhausts if you run a highflow catted midpipe it tapers off drone/rasp. The M80's are an awesome system to run with cams. Sounds fantastic.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back