Power steering delete update

05GT281

ole' legend lime
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went down to the local 1/8th mile track lastnight. After making a couple test passes 8.23 and an 8.25 both at 84 mph. I replaced the factory belt with the p/s delete belt. After a 45-50 min cool down I was surprised when the car ran an 8.24 and then backed that up with 8.26 with identical 84 mph trap speeds. Now my car does have UDP's but thought the p/s would still be causing some additional parastic drag. Any thoughts ?
:wtf:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It should of picked up a bit.. its not working hard clearly going straight.. I would only take it off just do reduce weight.

05GT281

ole' legend lime
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The increase comes from the lack of parastic drag that is caused from the engine having to turn the pump pulley. Now we all know this that is the reason we run UDP's, is to slow down the accesories (alt,water pump, p/s pump)(which lowers the amount of parastic drag) to free up horsepower. I just didn't think that the pullies had slowed the pump enough to the point of no increase with the short belt.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I had similar results. I didn't do it on the same day so I wrote it off to different conditions. When I asked other people at the track how they were running compared to the week before, they were running the same numbers. Again I shrugged it off because I was having 2nd gear issues as well. Thought maybe that was causing some inconsistencies. I will probably try it again when the tracks open this spring.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
When you guys try again, try to get some DA numbers at the time you ran. They can fluctuate pretty quickly. I have picked up about a tenth with UDPs and a short belt.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went down to the local 1/8th mile track lastnight. After making a couple test passes 8.23 and an 8.25 both at 84 mph. I replaced the factory belt with the p/s delete belt. After a 45-50 min cool down I was surprised when the car ran an 8.24 and then backed that up with 8.26 with identical 84 mph trap speeds. Now my car does have UDP's but thought the p/s would still be causing some additional parastic drag. Any thoughts ?
:wtf:

Can you please post the PN for that belt :idea:

any more tensting on it????

Reaction score
The p/s pump uses very little energy, there is no rwhp gain from using it or not, Unless your are turning the wheel.

Look at it like this, Ford has to meet HP and Emission goals, it is in their best interest to have the pump use little energy to allow the power and economy to go up.

Trust me we tried this in 05, no gains.....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back