Somethings killing my power and times any ideas?

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
Hope this is in the right section.... Edit: This can be moved to Drag racing tech if it doesn't fit here well enough.

So my problem is, when I'm shifting hard at the track or on the road, the car seems to fall flat on it's face for a second, then will pick back up and go. For ex, shifting 1-2 I'll get wheel hop on the track, 2-3 same thing and a slight lose of power it seems like but very hard to tell, 3-4 it kills power for a second(seems like that, might be alot quicker), then picks back up and goes(hoping to get a video of it soon cause it's somewhat hard to explain). Advance trac is turned off FYI.
I know my old clutch slipped a little bit and decided to go ahead and change it(I datalogged it before changing it out and had Lund take a look at the logs, and said everything seemed fine but said it could be the clutch slip logic kicking in), so now I have a Mach 600, and was hoping that it would fix the problem.
Well it didn't.
I don't think it's me(thought I was keeping my foot on the clutch a little bit to long or doing more than hovering my foot over it) but after this weekend at the track and making sure I was completely off the pedal, I'm still having the issue.

So can the clutch slip still be kicking in with a better/stronger clutch???
Is it knock retard kicking in? If it's this, I would figure it would have been in the datalog.

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I think fiveOhBrian had a similar issue at the track. Do a search of his name.

Last edited:

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem at the track and on the street. It's my clutch packs and clutch itself that need to be replaced.

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
I think fiveOhBrian had a similar issue at the track. Do a search of his name.

Thanks will do.

Edit:
His seems to be on launching only, and not any other gears, but mine seems to be any gear and even on launching, but only when I was on a set of DR's. I have a video of it on my phone when I had the radials on but only managed a 1.768 60' with them and a 12.43.

Last edited:

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
The first video you can see it pretty well after my 1-2 shift with the car bouncing. The launch was around 4,500ish, so that might be chalked up as it just bogging off the line.

This one you can hear it a little bit on 1-2 and more so on 3-4

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of torque management going on, talk to the tuner?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of torque management going on, talk to the tuner?

Yep. There is a nanny messing him up. Also, disconnect one of the ABS sensors. The driver side connector is slightly behind the wheel well liner and is accessible by turning the wheel.

OP - can you post your process for disabling traction control before making a run?

Last edited:

onebadgsx

Reaction score
it is definitely the torque management system. your tuner can remove it from the tune. but also make sure you are holding done the traction control button with your foot on the brake until the traction off light show and the display will say "advance track disabled"

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. There is a nanny messing him up. Also, disconnect one of the ABS sensors. The driver side connector is slightly behind the wheel well liner and is accessible by turning the wheel.

OP - can you post your process for disabling traction control before making a run?

Will try to disconnect abs next time at the track.
Hit TCS to turn it off, then foot on brake and hold TCS down till advanced trac off comes up on the dash. I've ran before with TCS on and it's very similar to it but always make sure it's off before doing a burnout.

it is definitely the torque management system. your tuner can remove it from the tune. but also make sure you are holding done the traction control button with your foot on the brake until the traction off light show and the display will say "advance track disabled"

See above post about advance trac.
Will send a ticket to Lund today and see what he says.
Thanks a ton for the help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryC

Reaction score
Not discounting a Tq Mgmt issue, wheel hop means that tires are not on the ground 100% of the time and as such they are not driving the car forward. This would result in a loss of accelleration, which could be felt as a loss of power.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Will try to disconnect abs next time at the track.
Hit TCS to turn it off, then foot on brake and hold TCS down till advanced trac off comes up on the dash. I've ran before with TCS on and it's very similar to it but always make sure it's off before doing a burnout.

On the traction control, just do it one time.

1. Put foot on brake with car in neutral.
2. Press and hold the traction control button for ~10 sec.
3. Look for the advance trac message on display indicating it being off.

Good luck!:thumb2:

Hani

forum member
Reaction score
My freind here has the same problem with his 2012 but on street. He has some bolt on parts installed and tuned by himself. I've seen a video of his car and you can easily see the car falls down after each shift and then it picks up again.

I'm sure he'll post here soon. Subscribing for updates

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something but when advancetrac disabled comes accross the dash, that means both TCS and advancetrac are off.... Shouldn't really matter what way you get there, as long as it comes up saying disabled.

Got a revised tune from Lund today, so will be putting it on tomorrow if weather isn't too bad. It doesn't have torque management turned off, so if it keeps doing it, I'll make that my next thing to have disabled.

Thanks again for the help guys.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something but when advancetrac disabled comes accross the dash, that means both TCS and advancetrac are off.... Shouldn't really matter what way you get there, as long as it comes up saying disabled.

Got a revised tune from Lund today, so will be putting it on tomorrow if weather isn't too bad. It doesn't have torque management turned off, so if it keeps doing it, I'll make that my next thing to have disabled.

Thanks again for the help guys.

There is only one way to disable which is the way I described. If you just push the button it isn't disabling. There are multiple modes you can place the car in depending on how the button is depressed.

Traction Control On & AdvanceTrac On: Default
Traction Control Off & AdvanceTrac On: Single Button Press
Traction Control On & AdvanceTrac On: Sport Mode Double Button Press with Brakes
Traction Control Off & AdvanceTrac Off: Button Press 5 sec with Brakes.

Bold is what you want when at the track. ;)

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
Torque management has to be deleted by the tuner. My previous tune from "unnamed tuner" had the feeling of cutting power with everything off in 1-2-3 gear at the track even though I (pressed brake and held tc button 5 seconds). Its not as drastic as when TC cuts in (hate that damn thing) but can definitely be felt and I have a cpl videos somewhere where it can be heard. Foot flat down, clutch released, car does half to 3/4 throttle for a sec or so after launch and shifts. Shaun had told me about the torque management thing and its deleted on my aed drag tune. Maybe ask your tuner to remove it. Car pulls 100% in relation to throttle now when foot is flat down.

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
There is only one way to disable which is the way I described. If you just push the button it isn't disabling. There are multiple modes you can place the car in depending on how the button is depressed.

Traction Control On & AdvanceTrac On: Sport Mode Double Button Press with Brakes

I turn everything off whether I'm at the track or on the street.

Torchy

Reaction score

This is good to know. Also what exactly does AdvanceTrac do?

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
It's a combo of traction control, stability control and the ABS system. More than just traction control it'll also come to your aid in the event of a loss of stability in cornering or at high speed. They system does work but, obviously, is biased more for safety than for improving performance.

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
To me "sport mode" seems to interfere more than regular mode. Most of the time when I want to play or put power down I just tap the traction button. That way it can spin all it wants but if you get too sideways Advancetrac slaps your hand. But also like I mentioned above my torque management is turned off of my current tune compared to the previous one that would still interfere with everthing turned off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back