Wheel lock dilemma...lost key...

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I know its been mentioned a couple times, but I have strange locks. Every lug is a lock and they're all female. another words, I have to have the male end to turn them off.

I went out and bout a Gator Grip universal hoping it would be big enough but, its not.

That being said, anyone have any suggestions?? I've thought about a vice grip and another one on the handle to turn em, but that'll probably not work and probably mess up the rims.

I went to a couple tire stores and none have the keys. One place said they'd get em off for $25...EACH. That's $500 to take off my lugnuts. I told him He was Fucking CRAZY. I actually said that lol.

Anyways, any ideas??

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
hammer and a flat head i had to do that with my old mustang i had back in hawaii

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Tell me again why people use locking lug nuts? Is it a ploy by tire shops to upsell more expensive services?

I've heard of people buying a cheap socket from Harbor Freight almost big enough to fit over the lug and then hammering it on. You destroy the socket but they are about a buck each.

If you have time, you could locate the maker of the lugs and contact them to buy your key.

Then go to Amazon and buy 20 standard lug nuts and throw away the locking crap.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Discount Tire could do it, but 25 locks is a lot lol. 4 locks for free is no biggie, but 25 is a fuck ton. So im sure they'd charge. Idk how much.

Locking lugs are so stupid. If someone wants to steal your wheels bad enough, they'll get the locks off lol

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AsSeenOnTV.com
btn_arrow.gif
Household
btn_arrow.gif
Tools

btn_arrow.gif
Gator Grip Universal Socket
00296303-397595_catl_290.jpg
Click to enlarge image

Gator Grip Universal Socket

SKU ID #296303

(2 reviews)
Read 2 Reviews
Write a Review

Price: $18.95

Quantity:
Availability: In Stock

Ships within 1 - 2 Buisiness Days

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
Read the post, Weather man. He already tried that.

Discount Tire could do it, but 25 locks is a lot lol. 4 locks for free is no biggie, but 25 is a fuck ton. So im sure they'd charge. Idk how much.

Locking lugs are so stupid. If someone wants to steal your wheels bad enough, they'll get the locks off lol

True, but it is a deterrent.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the car with them on. I have the replacements already. I have no clue what make and no clue how to tell. I will take a picture tomorrow. They are rusted and Fugly. So better to get rid of them now I guess

Anyone have experience with the lug extractor they sell at sears for like $50??

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I had it happend to me with 4. Once locking on each rim. I had to dremel each one> Then i just bought new studs. You'd have 20 to buy. so im sure its not going to be cost effective at all.. but thats what i did.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
They sell tapered sockets made for this. Its what tire shops own. I would see if anyone rents them, if not just buy some and put some regular ass lug nuts on there. I have the spline ones from LRS if you want something a little safer but still not going to break.

JerryC

Reaction score
I've used the cheap socket trick on the old McGard locking lugs. Heard of using an air chisel to spin them off but never tried it. Put the chisel in the groove and hammer counter clockwise on the lug.

You could try welding a nut on the end of the lugs if you can get to them. Clean up the rust and hit it with a MIG welder, that would be pretty quick as far as doing something like this goes.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with the hammering a socket on is that my lugs are smooth round on the outside since they're female lugs and the key was a male key.

Dremeling them off would be an absolute nightmare. The guy that owned the car before me was pretty meticulous about records. Maybe, just maybe, he kept records.

JerryC

Reaction score
The biggest issue with the hammering a socket on is that my lugs are smooth round on the outside since they're female lugs and the key was a male key.

It works on those, the cheap socket stretches over the lock a bit and cuts into it a little bit. You need a socket that is just a little smaller than the lock, but big enough that it wont spilt when you hammer it on.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I have done this twice to other peoples cars....get a 19mm deep socket and hammer it on. It works better on the roumded ones. Works everytime.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Alright. Gonna give it a shot. Might do a tire a night for the next couple days. And you think I'll need 20 sockets or can I reuse it a couple times before it doesn't work again?

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I literally use one socket. I hammer it on the umscrew the lug. Then I use a vice to punch of the lug from the socket because it will be in there tight. A 19mm 10point is what I have used all the time. As a matter of fact I sold my brembo wheels to a friend n this exact this happened like 4 months ago. It took us like 10 minutes to get them off. Of course the socket will be trashed afterwards.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As others mentioned the hammering a socket onto the lug works; if you have a harbor freight nearby buy those sockets instead of destroying a good socket.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
When you get the lug stuck in socket. Put it on ground and hold it and hit the end with lug, with a hammer. It'll pop out

Sent from Galaxy S3

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back