Where does extra sound insulation make the most difference?

GriffX

Reaction score
While you're in there you may want to pull the plastic baffles at the bottom of the quarter panels (inside the seat belt retractor hole) and check if they need to be treated. This is a common area where rust/ corrosion starts. Had problems on both of my cars. Agree w/installing butyl in there. Should cut down resonance of the panel quite a bit. Not sure I'd fill the space with polyester wool however as I'd be concerned with it holding water and contributing to the rust problem these cars exhibit so I'd highly recommend checking it yearly for condition. Good luck.
It was sealed with some 1'' thick very hard sealer, looked like urethan. Left it inside, but sprayed underneath with fluid film, fingers crossed..... no test drive so far, fuel is 8$/gal now, driving around for fun is no fun anymore, thanks to the new carbon tax.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
Do you had to remove the complete weather plastic shield to get to the door?
No, just pulled the bottom half up and taped it up w/masking tape. Window up of course. Wiped the inside with a damp cloth and spray the deadener with a fine mist of water, helps with placement.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
It's actually what's call transfer solution. Fill a spray bottle with water and denatured alcohol 95/05, add 1 drop of dish soap and shake.

So I did the roof and package tray today. Haven't driven it yet but by thumping around, there is much less "ringing". The package tray really sang when tapped before.
We'll see.

GriffX

Reaction score
Quick tip: I just wanted to fill up the space between the rear wheel well and the b-pillar with polyester wool through the seat belt retractor hole and it looks like it is large enough to place some alubutyl stripes on the quarter panel inside.
And you need around 15+ liters of polyester wool to fill it up.

I really wish I had done this in week two of my ownership.
Update: Made a big difference in noise from the rear axle. :nixon:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back