2014 GT Spare tire?

Mike in SC

Lactation Consultant
Reaction score
Ok I just picked up a Deep Impact Blue 2014 GT coupe. In all the excitement I did not notice that I don't have a spare or jack! Instead it has some kind of inflator? It has factory 19'' black mags not 18". Is that why? The only spares listed for the vehicle are 18''. Any enlightenment will be appreciated. Not feeling real good about no spare.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Probably just the inflator, my Bullitt was the same way. Maybe troll Craigslist for a spare rim off a wrecked car?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I bought 1 off eBay since a compressor is useless in a blowout situation but take note of the overall diameter. You don't want to put 2 different wheel sizes on the rear. It can screw up your differential.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
A few miles to get to safety, diff size rears wont hurt the diff. Now if you keep driving on the temp spare like so many ID10Ts out there till the spare is bald and goes flat, then yea, you will fry the diff.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Re-read what Begeezus wrote. You can use any number of wheel and tire size combinations as long as the outside diameter of the tire is about the same. also the wheel should be large enough to clear the front brakes. 18" will clear front brakes on a 2009, possibly 17" but you should have plenty of options with finding an 18".

For outside tire diameter you can look them up for different tire sizes. I just go to Tire Rack's website and pull up the specs on various tires there. They will have a chart with all available sizes for that tire with height, width, load rating and revolutions per mile among other items. You can have a fat tire, skinny tire, smaller wheel with a taller profile, bigger wheel with a shorter profile, whatever as long as the outer diameter is close to your current tires.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
watch out if u have big front rotors, like the 14" diameter types. Not many 18" rims will clear. Well a lot of 18" rims will clear a 14" rotor... but there is also a ton of 18" rims that flat out won't clear. A 17" won't clear em at all. I'm not keen on the idea of no spare and no jack. What does the inflator do...pump it full of foam or what ?

BullittSS

Reaction score
My 2014 GT/CS came with a 185/55/18 spare -- 1.7" less than in diameter than the stock 245/45/19 stock tires. The owner's manual has a lengthy list of precautions about its use. I haven't had to use it, but if I did, I would nurse it to the nearest tire store...

Mike in SC

Lactation Consultant
Reaction score
It does fill it with sealant. The Ford video says, that after fixing the puncture, you must replace the TPMS sensor and valve stem valve. Not good at all! I gotta find out if I have the large brakes. The front calipers are marked ''Brembo" but that doesn't mean that they are. Gotta do more research.

BullittSS, do you have the large brakes as well as the 19'' wheels?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You have the Brembo brake package on your Mustang and there are several 18"+ full size wheels that will clear. Unfortunately, a full size spare won't fit within the confines of the spare tire well.

There is also an alloy temp spare that will clear big brakes, matches the OEM tire rolling diameter and fits within the spare tire well. You'll also need the jack, crank handle, lug wrench and associated J hooks and spinner nuts to fasten everything down in the trunk, a trip to a local scrap yard will get you all of these items.

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....g-gt-with-brembo-brakes?variant=3892365951003

AndrewNagle is to credit for the above link for the wheel/tire combo.

Mike in SC

Lactation Consultant
Reaction score
oldVOR, thanks for the reply & link. I found that link previously and one option is the Complete Kit for $449.00 (wow!). Unfortunately it also says ''Fits non-Brembo brake Mustangs". So I believe that I am still SOL.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
oldVOR, thanks for the reply & link. I found that link previously and one option is the Complete Kit for $449.00 (wow!). Unfortunately it also says ''Fits non-Brembo brake Mustangs". So I believe that I am still SOL.

I have it with my Wilwood brakes and have tons of room. Can’t see how it will not work with brembos

4b6845f5cd07b26365011c0736be9af1.jpg

444e261d73b6b74a684072c8cb8909cb.jpg

e32e8376b581ec9578343838c9d00e99.jpg

Last edited:

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

You might want to check it again, it says "Fits over the Performance Package Brembo Brake System" and clearly shows it fitting over both the 14" and 15" Brembo brake packages in the photos.

You are NOT SOL!!!

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Check out my post in the DIY sub forum, just bumped it to the top. Pictures and specs for a proper full size spare.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back