GT500 all season tire recommendations

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Since I moved to NW Arkansas I'm hoping to drive my mustang year round, I'm open to getting a winter beater car but if I can avoid it that's better. So I need to find a set of all season or winter tires to swap out for a few months. Any recommendations for a tire that will fit a stock 2007 GT500 wheel?

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I second the AS3, ran them on my car and they were great. Good wet/dry traction even when the temp went below 40. Highly recommend them.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Did you get the AS3 in the same size as the stock tires, 285's in the back? I has seen some threads that said to go for a narrower all season tire width.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
If you live in NWA you will get more snow normally than here in Central AR. Arkansas doesn't believe in treating roads much either. I try to avoid taking my gt out in it but I run the general AS-03s during the winter the past couple years and haven't had an issue yet even on my hill with a running start. I work in law enforcement so calling out is not an option for me. The other thing I would suggest is save the money and buy a beater for that area. I picked up the below beater for 400 bucks off of craigslist and put about 1k into with maint items, wheels/tires, and the small puck lift. I beat the crap out of it until I sold it to get a wrangler.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
If they don't put salt on the road that would be a good thing.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 subaru legacy gt for my winter car. With snows on there it is actually fun to drive in the winter. I can blow the doors off most cars from a stop light and go up snowy hills with zero problems.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Did you get the AS3 in the same size as the stock tires, 285's in the back? I has seen some threads that said to go for a narrower all season tire width.

I got 285/40 all around. I like to drive spiritedly so the extra tire up front really helped. I don't drive in the snow though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I got 285/40 all around. I like to drive spiritedly so the extra tire up front really helped. I don't drive in the snow though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. The GT-500 used 9.5" x 18" rims with 45mm offset..on all 4 x corners. However they used a 285-40-18 tire on the rear..and a 255-45-18" on the front. I saw one the other day down at the body shop.
IMO, the oem 255-45-18 on a 9.5" rim is not wide enough tire. A 255-45-18 wants to see a 8.5" measuring rim..with a 8" minimum rim..and a 9" is stretched a bit..and handles good. But a 9.5" is a full 1" wider than the measuring width.

I took a really good look at it for quite a while, and imo, it's stretched too much. A 275-40-18 would be perfect on that 9.5" rim. However, by using a 285-40-18 then u have a square setup..and can rotate tires, which is a huge benefit. A 285-40-18 uses a 10" measuring rim, with a 9.5" being min width.

In an ideal world, a square 285-40-18" setup on 10.5" rims would be optimum, but you have to work with what you have.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
If they don't put salt on the road that would be a good thing.

They don't do to bad of a job around me in MD. My dad complains about them dumping whole piles of salt on the road in NJ though.

What kills me is when the salt truck is spraying through traffic.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On 2nd thought, get a beater. The problem is...some other twit will run into ur GT-500 in winter time.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
What kills me is when the salt truck is spraying through traffic.
They use calcium chloride here and lots of it. When the snow melts off in between storms you can see all the white residue on the road. We wash our cars as often as we can during the winter at the local touchless with the underbody sprayers.

I've seen them out spraying the roads with the trucks but they usually don't do it during rush hour traffic.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I currently run Eagle F1 SuperCar Assymetrics on my '10 GT500 wheels (on my '14 GT). They are all season tires, but they didn't work as well as I was hoping in light snow. I've very successfully used Continental Extreme Contact DWS's (Dry, Wet, Snow) on several prior cars and they work great year 'round and even in light snow, so I'll be going back to them very soon - especially now that they offer sizes that fit GT500's better.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I second the AS3, ran them on my car and they were great. Good wet/dry traction even when the temp went below 40. Highly recommend them.

Another AS3 user here. I drive my '06GT year-round, we have similar weather as you guys.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I 2nd the save for a beater, even if its just a $500-1000 car/suv.

I live in CT and would never drive the stang in snow, that makes baby jesus cry....lol

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
I currently run Eagle F1 SuperCar Assymetrics on my '10 GT500 wheels (on my '14 GT). They are all season tires, but they didn't work as well as I was hoping in light snow. I've very successfully used Continental Extreme Contact DWS's (Dry, Wet, Snow) on several prior cars and they work great year 'round and even in light snow, so I'll be going back to them very soon - especially now that they offer sizes that fit GT500's better.

I'm picking up a set of those as well. did you see the new DWS-06 version? there's a review of them compared to the previous version DWS and they say that the 06 is way better.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I use Nitto Motivo's from oct to end of april. (then NT-555's from may 1 to oct-31)
The Motivo is an excellent rain and all season tire, with a tread wear rating of 560, albeit sizes are limited, with more and more coming out all the time. The motivo's have better dry traction than a NT-555 in summer...and way better in cooler temps. I don't use the stang when it hits freezing..... too many clueless driver's around town.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I'm picking up a set of those as well. did you see the new DWS-06 version? there's a review of them compared to the previous version DWS and they say that the 06 is way better.

I just priced up DWS-06's for my '14 GT. Very affordable for the year 'round capability they offer.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've used 275/40/18 Continental DWS's in the snow before I got supercharged and they were good .... traction control fully off in about 4" of snow, I was doing better than many other cars around me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back