O-ring identification help please

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I'm stripping down my 4.6 in my 08 GT in preparation for a forged motor.

There are two hard lines that come out of the power steering pump - both with o-rings. I want to replace them when I reinstall the pump on the new motor, and I have search and searched. Tried some Dorman solutions, but they are different sizes.

Any way to track down a part number? I'm afraid to just use generic o-rings that may or may not handle PS fluid or be a slightly different diameter or thickness.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think your options are: generic orings or new P/S hoses. Sorry.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Take the O Rings to a hydraulic hose and fitting shop to match them for size. I think you will want a Viton O Ring with a Dura 90 hardness. Almost certain they will be metric.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Most of the average Viton or Buna O Rings are around 60 on the Durameter scale. High pressure hydraulics use harder O Rings rated at 90 or more on Boss fittings and split flanges. It’s just a scale for rating the hardness of polymers.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Most of the average Viton or Buna O Rings are around 60 on the Durameter scale. High pressure hydraulics use harder O Rings rated at 90 or more on Boss fittings and split flanges. It’s just a scale for rating the hardness of polymers.

Thanks. I'll look for a kit like that - little harder to find, it appears

Joe combs

Reaction score
If I remember correctly they are 2 different sizes (from my time as a ford parts person), the numbers if they havent changed are 388898s and 388897s... just pulled my paperwork from doing my 08 GT, and that is the part numbers I used, and they were cheap at the dealership.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly they are 2 different sizes (from my time as a ford parts person), the numbers if they havent changed are 388898s and 388897s... just pulled my paperwork from doing my 08 GT, and that is the part numbers I used, and they were cheap at the dealership.

Thanks! I wish I had seen this before ordering the scuba diving kit :)

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, those part numbers didn't work. As you can see in this picture, they are way too big. They look like the Dorman o-rings I had originally purchased

F446D507-E857-4422-9052-A3781B9D9623.jpeg

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
So, I just ended up buying a new hose, as a quality aftermarket version was only $21. That satisfied the larger o-ring requirement, since the new hose came with rings.

That smaller one though - it is a small, metal "L" tube that has been discontinued. On ebay and such, it is $50-$60. The o-ring is part #3L2Z3F886BA. That's probably the way I'll go there. Unfortunately, the cheapest I've found is nearly $12.

Is what it is.

Joe combs

Reaction score
Those are the lines at the rack... your original post said for the power steering pump, the part # I gave you is for the hard line at the pump.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Okay. But, I'll take the blame for a bad description.

But, there is only one screw-in, NPT type fitting at the pump that would need an o-ring; the other on the pump is the hose/clamp fitting.

So, that would explain one of the part numbers you listed. What was the other?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back