2nd gear is gone

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I want to get my old red girl freshen up and back on the old drag strip. The last time I went I had her on some DRs and every time I would launch the car it would come out of the hole fine but would never shift into 2nd gear. It's like the 2nd gear was just gone until the load came off the car.

Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on my 06 with a Spec clutch. It wouldn't want to shift at high rpms at all. I ended going with an Exedy Mach 400 and it fixed the issue.

Do you have prothane motor mounts or torque limiters installed?
What clutch do you have?

If it isn't the clutch releasing or some kind of torsional bind then it could possibly be a synchro issue which would warrant a rebuild... or if funds allow you could just get a TR6060 and call it done.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully you can get that red girl freshened up soon.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Car still has the stock clutch with 137K on her. No motor mounts or torque limiters installed.

Sounds like I have a few things to check out.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with 3rd stock clutch as well, car has 30k on it

Went from hurst to mgw shifter hoping it was that, I have prothanes going in as soon as the cars out in the spring, do you think the che brace with torque limiters is needed in addition to the new motor mounts?

What is the cost like to replace syncros?

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
do you think the che brace with torque limiters is needed in addition to the new motor mounts?

Nope, you only need either or, not both. Both will give you little added (if any) benefit with a lot more NVH. I have just the motor mounts myself. Stiffened up the drive train plenty to allow smoother shifts.

What is the cost like to replace syncros?

Not sure, maybe someone else can chime in on rebuild cost. If the car has some sort of power adder, personally, I would just get a TR6060 or T56.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I went through the same issues with my Bullitt getting locked out of 3rd gear when trying to shift above 6000rpm. On the street it was perfect. I did all the recommended mods and nothing made any difference. Had the transmission opened up and inspected and the guy said it was 'pristine'. Tried a different clutch and hated it. Gave up and bought the T56 with a McLeod twin disc and that solved all my issues.

Everybody keeps making the same recommendations whenever this topic comes up but they don't help. It's just the way those shitty transmissions work. Live with it or bite the bullet and buy a good transmission.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Never had an issue. Speed shifted at 6800-7000 rpm through hundreds of track runs with a stock 3650. Had a Hurst shifter and BMR K member. Went high 1.4-low 1.5 60 foots on drag radials. Trans worked great for me.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shifted at 7k with over 600rwtq on the street and track on my stock 3650 no issues ever, trans still worked great when I removed it for a 6060. I had prothane motor mounts and a pro 5.0 shifter.

To the op I would look into replacing the stock clutch with that many miles first.

Next best mod to firm up shifting is the prothane motor mounts.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Again, not everybody has had these issues with the 3650 and some of them work perfect. What I'm saying is that if you have one that locks you out of gear at high rpm then none of the suggested solutions will work. I think it's an issue with tolerances built into the transmission because I've read too many cases where none of the external patches or band aids have any affect whatsoever.

If you have one of the bad transmissions then hearing anecdotal comments from people who don't have the issue isn't going to do a damn bit of good. They have no point of reference and cannot relate to the issues we've had because they never had those issues. Of course they are happy with their 3650 because they never got locked out of gear during high rpm shifts. But this means they don't have the answers, either.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 3650. It was clutch related. You have gotten a fair amount of wear out of that clutch. Time for a new clutch and slave cylinder. www.rockauto.com has good deals on complete replacement packs. You could also go to something like an Exedy 07805 for just a little more and have enough clutch for a mid range power adder if it's ever in your future.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree a worn clutch will easily cause these issues. But I guess we don't know what we are talking about and you should go buy a brand new upgraded transmission asap.

Regardless the car needs a clutch. Start there.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I agree a worn clutch will easily cause these issues. But I guess we don't know what we are talking about and you should go buy a brand new upgraded transmission asap.

It could be a few different things. I'm just throwing out past experiences. Same thing has happened with stock vehicles in the past and it's usually clutch related. For all we know he could just have a loose shifter bolt.

As you know the clutch is a no brainer due to the mileage. It's also not wasted money because with that kind of mileage he needs a new one anyway. The labor is the biggest deal imo. If he's doing his own work it's not so bad but paying someone to chase down an issue like this can get expensive fast.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone think a Wot box would help? Cuts the ignition to let the synchros mesh easier.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Car still has the stock clutch with 137K on her.

A new clutch should definitely be on the fix list. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it slip on nitrous with that many miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Same issue here. Went with a McLeod RXT in anticipation of a turbo kit when my stocker wore out. Almost stock clutch feel (little bit of chatter at low rpms) but after the install the shifter never shifted as smoothly as it had previously. Had it looked at and there doesn't seem to be a glaringly obvious issue. Had the Wotbox installed and it makes almost no difference to the shifting either. I've also got the MGW but stock K and motor mounts.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Motor mounts or torque limiters, I am surprised you don't have that problem on the street

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back