convertible roll bar questions

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I've been looking at taking the mustang out for some but I'm finding autocross, scca solo and track days all require at least a 4 point roll bar. I figure why keep dumping money into mods if I can't have some fun with them. I'm not looking to go pro, win championships or have a 9 second drag car. Just have some weekend fun.

I've done some searching and found lots of nice setups that don't require the interior to be all cut up.

I'd like to start with a 4 point, is it possible / easy to upgrade that to a 6 point at a later date if I want? Or do you need to do it all at once?

Also anyone know of a place in Wisconsin that I can check out?

JimC

Reaction score
I had a 6 point custom built for my 2006 - guy here in SE Michigan did it for me.

I didn't want to cut up the interior either so it was designed to fit inside. I pulled it when I sold the car and have it waiting in the shed to put in the 2013; but we are going to modify it to fit inside the CDC light bar that I have in this car.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I found some of your old posts when I was searching and that's exactly what I want to do. Maybe going 6 point with removable bars is the way to do it... Do you think they could have made the rear cross brace removable so the backs seats can me used if wanted?

Mind if I ask what it cost you?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
NHRA requires a 6 point with a bolt in as an option, correct?

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
NHRA requires a 6 point with a bolt in as an option, correct?

I'm hoping that someone can answer this too as well as what some of the other rules out there are such as SCCA Solo. I've done some research and I think for NHRA you are good to 13.49 then you need more? If I understand SCCA Solo only a 4 point is required?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can answer this too.

Same here. When I upgrade my F/I this winter I will at least be in the low 10's. I'd like to take the car to the local 1/8 mile track here and have a little fun on occassion. http://www.musiccityraceway.com/. The link to their rules is missing so I guess I could call. But if I were to take the short drive up to Bowling Green KY to the 1/4 mile track I'm just not sure what I need to be legal. I'm pretty sure it's no less than a 6 point bolt in.

JimC

Reaction score
It is possible to make the harness bar removable, but it may not pass NHRA tech inspection. A friend of mine had the same guy do his 6 point with a removable harness bar and he hasn't had a problem ---- yet.

The NHRA rules (and the IHRA) say that any convertible running quicker than 13.49 has to have a 5 point bar, but if you are going to do 5 might as well do the 6th. A 4 point won't pass inspection, have to have the 5th point which is the driver side door bar. And when you put a roll bar in the rules also require use of a 5 point harness (one over each shoulder, then two coming across the lap like your seat belt, and the fifth is the anti-submarine belt).

The door bars can be swing outs and removable. Mine are, with a bolt at the foot and a pin at the top. For daily driving the door bars are removed, and when headed to the track I put them in.

Last edited:

JimC

Reaction score
Same here. When I upgrade my F/I this winter I will at least be in the low 10's. I'd like to take the car to the local 1/8 mile track here and have a little fun on occassion. http://www.musiccityraceway.com/. The link to their rules is missing so I guess I could call. But if I were to take the short drive up to Bowling Green KY to the 1/4 mile track I'm just not sure what I need to be legal. I'm pretty sure it's no less than a 6 point bolt in.

If you are going to be low 10's you may need to upgrade from the 6 point even. I can't recall the rules now as to when you have to go to 8 and 10 point.

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks! I found some of your old posts when I was searching and that's exactly what I want to do. Maybe going 6 point with removable bars is the way to do it... Do you think they could have made the rear cross brace removable so the backs seats can me used if wanted?

Mind if I ask what it cost you?

The entire package - fabrication, paint (other than the white stripe that I added to match the car) and installation was $1200. I don't know how much he charges now though because that was several years ago.

JimC

Reaction score
I think instead of modding yours you should sell it to me instead :)

I suppose that anything is possible. It would let Bobby start fresh on the redesign. Shipping would not be cheao though I'm sure.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Just an FYI I did email an SCCA Solo representative and this is his response on my car;

For Solo, there aren't really roll bar requirements until you start gutting the interior and moving your car to the "Prepared" classes as far as I know. Your car would go to SSM, and you should be fine to run there without needing additional modifications.

I also emailed a local drag strip but haven't heard back from them yet.

According to Hooked on Driving
Here's HOD's stand on convertibles. Short answer, if you have a Mustang convertible, you'll need a 4 point roll bar. http://www.hookedondriving.com/downloads/Policy-on-Convertibles.pdf

JimC

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing shipping would be extreme. Where in Michigan are you located?

SE Michigan, north of Detroit just outside the City of Port Huron (where Lake Huron empties into the St Clair River at the base of the thumb)

Where is Fox Valley, WI? I was born in Madison, and have a brother in West Allis and a sister in Burlington (along with lots of cousins in Racine)

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back