iSimple iPod adapter installed

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
iInstalled this today, took an hour tops. very easy install.. the only hard part is detaching the ac control plugs but since I had done that before, it wasn't as difficult as the first time.

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/

It picks up the ipod through the headphone jack OR the port on the bottom. Both allow control of the songs with the ipod which is what i wanted. No way I could browse all my music through the shaker display!! It plays through the AUX channel of the stereo and has room to grow with a plug for HDRadio, but since i don't listen to the radio I won't get it.

I routed the wires behind the passenger side stereo panel up through the back of the glove box. The wires are all hidden, and the glove box closes normally when one of the wires is hanging out the front of it. I'll post pictures tonight.

Part number is: ISFD73 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8760922&type=product&id=1202650467219

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! I do not like the FM system because there is so much loss in clarity. Makes me want to use the CD's. So it is in the glovebox not the center console? Was that because of line length or your choice?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the FM system either... it was never loud enough, and I was tired of making CD's lol

The setup requires you to take out the stereo and plug in their adapter harness. It's really easy to do, all you need is a 10mm socket, some zipties, and an hour. Everything goes into the center console, I had routed the wires behind the passenger side panel to the back of the glovebox. The sound is a million times better!!!

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
How do you get the front off the stereo so you can unscrew the bolts? I will look in the tread about manuals but will ask the question here also. I get nervous with all the various plastic clips these days.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First take off the shifter bezel, that pulls off straight up. Then open the center console storage and near the hinge, there are two screws. Take those out, then pull the entire center part out (takes some manuevering of the e-brake).

Once that is off, pull the two sides of the stereo area straight back and those pop off. This will expose the screws that hold the front panel on. Take all that off (the plugs for the ac and fans are kind of tricky) and then finally take out the stereo.

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
Okay, so I will pick it up at lunch. Turns out the new Best Buy store actually has one. Very surprised. On the manufacturers web site it states that some radios are not supported so I will check my model before I get it. Did you have any issues or check if yours was supported? What was your reasoning for using the iPOD over the deck to browse?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I will pick it up at lunch. Turns out the new Best Buy store actually has one. Very surprised. On the manufacturers web site it states that some radios are not supported so I will check my model before I get it. Did you have any issues or check if yours was supported? What was your reasoning for using the iPOD over the deck to browse?

The ipod has more than 2 lines of text and i already know how to use it lol

don't worry, it will work with your stereo :rockband:

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
I checked my code and it is valid. Picked up the unit at lunch and now all I have to do is install it. Not tonight, I am installing the Steeda stop the hop kit on a guys Roush tonight.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just a tip: squeeze the sides of the glove box to make it go all the way down.. makes it real easy to get the wires through

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
I am a little confused. Did you put your iPOD in the glovebox or center console? I understand that to get the face plate off the radio I have to remove the top of the console. I want to have the iPOD where I can safely get to it and when my kids are in the car they do not rip the plug apart. Best would be to have the control through the stereo so the iPOD would just be stored in the glovebox.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The red is where the wires are

1244828b85f898a3.jpg

1244828b860b9524.jpg

1244828b862141aa.jpg

1244828b8637cfe9.jpg

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fantastic appreciation to you andyman for the detail :) thank you. :clap:

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
Andyman! Awsome pictures. I installed mine last night. It worked as you described. However, the deck interface did not work as described in the manual. I talked with tech support this morning and they instructed me to enable DIP #1 instead of #2 as instructed in the manual. I was not in the mood to willy nilly things last night and screw stuff up. In my line of work you don't just try things or it may let the smoke out. I did not want to take it all back out and hey it worked. I do however think as a group we need to hunt down the guy who designed the connector for the AC/vent selector switch and hang him from the nearest tree. What a pain when you can't see the detent on the connector release.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do however think as a group we need to hunt down the guy who designed the connector for the AC/vent selector switch and hang him from the nearest tree. What a pain when you can't see the detent on the connector release.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA tell me about it!! The first time was when me and my friend were putting a new stereo in his, and we were fighting those plugs for quite some time!!! This time around I remembered where all the locks are at... saved some headache :)

I had flipped a dip switch before I put mine in, it was probably the one you mentioned...

Glad everything helped :)

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Something I ran into several weeks ago - I had just installed my ipod in the glove box to work with my AVIC-D3. It was a chilly morning and I was driving with the heat on, which overheated the ipod. If you ever plan on driving the car and using the heater I would strongly suggest putting it in the center console. Mine is a Gen III, so maybe the newer ones are less sensative, but keep this in mind if you plan on leaving it in there while it's playing.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This was some great info. Can I use this as an input to plug my garmin GPS into to play through the stereo? My GPS is also an MP3 player.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This was some great info. Can I use this as an input to plug my garmin GPS into to play through the stereo? My GPS is also an MP3 player.

sure can, the ispimple comes with a 2.5mm audio jack, as well as left/right RCA plugs so pretty much ANYTHING can be plugged up into it as it is, and then start putting adapters on it.... look out

rosco

Curves, got to love em!
Reaction score
Dip#1 worked! No I did not say I was a dipwad........ In any case we figured out how many times to push the AUX button and now the iPOD controls finding artists and alblums as you would if you we just using it by its self. And you have control of it through the head unit. Very pleased with how it works. I put mine in the center console because I have teenagers who want to use it while I am driving. I have enough cord out so they can sit in any seat and select while we are driving. Scary but one in the back seat selecting the music and one in the front setting the volume! IT IS A ZOO!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back