Passenger side transfer pump.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the transfer pumps on the passenger side of the tank is compatible throughout the years? I keep getting 05 as a stand alone year and 06-09 as a different unit. I keep throwing a P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input code and I am thinking it is the sending unit/jet transfer/transfer pump on the passenger side.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
It does. It isn't a pump so much as siphon. But it read fuel level from full to half and the one on the actual driver side pump reads from half to empty. It is called a Jet Transfer Pump in wrecking yards. Everything 06 and later shows this part number 7R3Z9275C. My 05 shows this part number 5R3Z9275AC

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
It does. It isn't a pump so much as siphon. But it read fuel level from full to half and the one on the actual driver side pump reads from half to empty. It is called a Jet Transfer Pump in wrecking yards. Everything 06 and later shows this part number 7R3Z9275C. My 05 shows this part number 5R3Z9275AC

I remember when I changed to the gt500 pumps I knocked the siphon off of the hat. It would read full and then when it got to half a tank it would drop to zero and i would run out of gas. Lol, took me a couple times running out to figure it all out.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. I don't run out of fuel but If I put more then half tank of fuel it will drop to empty and throw the code. only fill it to half tank and it reads fine and no code.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. I don't run out of fuel but If I put more then half tank of fuel it will drop to empty and throw the code. only fill it to half tank and it reads fine and no code.

Hahaha, that's fucked up. Will it still drive ok with the code or does it limp you around?

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
It drives fine. It doesn't effect driveability or performance at all I just don't know how much fuel is in the thing until it hits half tank.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, however it is incorrectly called a transfer pump by the vast majority of salvage yards and retail stores. If you only type in fuel level sender it will just show you the actual sensor card and not the whole assembly. Which confuses almost everyone except us. LoL

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
05-09 are interchangeable. Resistance reading will be the same as the one on the driver side. Unfortunately I haven't kept any of the jet transfer "pump" hats I have gotten I usually just junk them. I would inspect the wiring and plug on that side then pop the hat out and inspect and test the sender first if you haven't already done so.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
would a gt500 one of the same vintage work as well? I wouldn't see why not but not 100%

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see a reason why the 07-09 gt500 one would be different on that side but can't say for sure.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Me either. Dont ask me why but those seems to go for less money then ones that come off a v6 or GT model.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you positive yours is bad or just going the replace it, see if it goes away method?

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Great question. Let me pick your brain and see what you think. So the issues I have is when I fill the tank I almost immediately get a P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input code and the needle drops to empty and the fuel light and Check engine light illuminates. Then once I reach about half tank the needle returns to half way mark, the fuel light goes out but the CEL light stays on. Car runs fine and no issues with drive-ability. If I clear the code it wont return unless I fill the tank. If I put enough fuel in to reach half a tank then no CEL and no codes pop up. I replaced the actual fuel pump on the driver side a year ago after I was getting the issues related to the TSB 06-9-9. Now I am getting issues consistent with the TSB 08-04-17 http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/images/docs/s197-tsb/08-04-17.pdf
I have spoken to several other 05 owners and the general consensus is that the 05 had issues in this area and if even after you check the wiring and the harness it is best to replace the entire assembly with a 07 or later unit. Which is where I am at now. I want to get this taken care of as I have to emissions test the vehicle in a month or two and need no CEL to fail me. What are your thoughts?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can't hurt to pop a newer one in. I'm not sure what causes the cel I have never gotten it when it was a sender itself issue though, just erratic readings or the stick and then start reading. That usually because of a dirty or cracked board. I think its worth a shot for sure and does sound like its that side.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'd check the wiring before paying for the sending unit. I have the exact same problem with our 06. I've replaced both sending units and it still acts up. I need to check the actual wiring now.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I have. Unless it is in the circuit board on the actual transfer pump the rest of the external wiring looks fine. This isn't the first time I have had the unit out. I pulled it about 3 months ago and it was def the white old caged style unit as opposed to the newer grey one. With 12 years ans 155K on it I figure it is time.

Last edited:

ChrisBot

Reaction score
I remember when I changed to the gt500 pumps I knocked the siphon off of the hat. It would read full and then when it got to half a tank it would drop to zero and i would run out of gas. Lol, took me a couple times running out to figure it all out.

I'm having the issue that 07 Boss had and I'm getting myself turned around a little bit. In This situation where the car is fine from full to half and then drops to zero and the car runs out of gas is it the driver's side or the passenger side that gets replaced? I replaced the drivers side a while back, already. I'm driving myself mad trying to figure out which side is responsible and needs to be replaced.

Can someone offer me some simple clarity?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back