Show us your "cool" garage features

Speeddmn

forum member
Reaction score
I think for electrical plugs, every 8-10 foot, then one next to each side of the door. What ever spot you plan to have a "bench" have those sockets up high.

Tons of light, on seperate switches so you dont need to turn them all on at once.

Floor, before anything goes in, coat the crap out of it, and use a light color, helps reflect the light.

You can never have enough work space/storage space.

hack up old axles for bar stools, use beat up old wheels for hose/extention cords holders, drill/tap old cams for hanging up random junk like drop lights.

Have yet to see it mentioned anywhere in this or the house building thread, but do you have plans for a deep freeze? If so make sure you have room somewhere for it also.

** edit **

Here is a link to a post on tms, good shot of some cabinets/work space.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php?p=5286446&postcount=90

Last edited:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since we are spending your money, lets get a flatscreen up on the wall. Hell, let's get two! :clap:

Seriously though, a bench of some sort is a must. I'm sure you already have that in the plans though. I'm going nuts having to do stuff in the living room because I don't have a bench or table in my garage. :angry1:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Of course, a bench (or two), many cabinets/drawers (various sizes and shapes), and lots of outlets and lights, are in the plans. :thumb:

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of Don is to be very anal about the concrete work. Have it slope gently to middle of the garage. Makes it easier to wash out etc.

In my own garage, they did a shitty job and I have low spots in the corners, and by the man door. Water from snow melting off the vehicles pools up there throughout the winter, and I'm constantly squeegeeing water out. Of course you don't have that problem, but a nice flat or slightly slopping to the middle floor is nice. Also think about epoxy floor coatings. I had my last 2 garage floors coated while there were still fairly new, which also makes keeping them clean easier.

Last edited:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of Don is to be very anal about the concrete work. Have it slop gently to middle of the garage. Makes it easier to wash out etc.

In my own garage, they did a shitty job and I have low spots in the corners, and by the man door. Water from snow melting off the vehicles pools up there throughout the winter, and I'm constantly squeegeeing water out. Of course you don't have that problem, but a nice flat or slightly slopping to the middle floor is nice. Also think about epoxy floor coatings. I had my last 2 garage floors coated while there were still fairly new, which also makes keeping them clean easier.

Tell me about it. I know it's an apartment, but they jacked up the concrete in my garage where it meets the door. So when it does rain, water leaks under the seal and into the garage. AWESOME!! :tdown:

don_w

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of Don is to be very anal about the concrete work. Have it slope gently to middle of the garage. Makes it easier to wash out etc.

The typical design around here is to have the concrete slope from the back of the garage to the front, with approximately 1" drop per 12' run. But, in mine, they did a compound surface. The first 8 feet drops a little less than an inch. Then the next four feet are level... that is where the lift will be located. The remaining 14 feet again slope towards the door.

Also, in the area where the lift is going, I had the slab poured extra deep. The 3000psi concrete is a full 8" thick there (in a section 4' wide and 15' long). This is what it looked like the day it was poured.

P1080987.jpg

P1090047.jpg

P1090051.jpg

Is it too late for a drain in the floor to wash the car inside? You said any ideas.
Well, I do have three sewer cleanouts in there. :whistling:

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to your earlier updates, and didn't the garage was already poured. Sounds like you've got it covered.

I still like the epoxy treatment afterwards. It looks nice, and cleans up well. I'm at work right now and don't have any photo's of my floor to share, but take my word for it, it looks good.

don_w

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to your earlier updates, and didn't the garage was already poured. Sounds like you've got it covered.

I still like the epoxy treatment afterwards. It looks nice, and cleans up well. I'm at work right now and don't have any photo's of my floor to share, but take my word for it, it looks good.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the epoxy is also on my list for sure. I'll get it done before we even move into the house. :thumb:

don_w

Reaction score
Great minds think a-like.
hehehe...

I have a few other little things going in there too. One is a small exhaust fan (the Mrs and I use the garage as a smoking room, and that will help get rid of some of the smoke). There will be a laundry-room type sink out there.

In addition to eleven duplex outlets (all located at 42" above the floor, and all on a single dedicated circuit), I'll also have a 220v outlet on the ceiling right above the lift. The lighting will be in three separate groups, on separate switches.

Of course there will be a fridge out there (mostly for beer... haha). Oh, and I plan on adding piping so I can run air lines from the compressor to a few different locations, as well as the lift.

In additon to the standard workbench and cabinets/drawers, I also plan on designing and building a storage "rack" for all of our track related stuff (tires, fuel jugs, generator, battery charger, helmets, jack/jack stands, tool boxes, tie down straps, and other misc things). This rack will be right on the side by the front door so it will be easy to load/unload the truck.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen, used or heard of using a scissor lift on a S197? I can't put a 2 post lift in my garage, but a scissor lift would be really nice.

I was looking at a Bendpak LR-60P. I've seen lots of pics of Vettes on them, but no Mustangs. I am throughly sick of jacking the car up and down to do things. Nothing set in stone, but just an idea.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen, used or heard of using a scissor lift on a S197? I can't put a 2 post lift in my garage, but a scissor lift would be really nice.

I was looking at a Bendpak LR-60P. I've seen lots of pics of Vettes on them, but no Mustangs. I am throughly sick of jacking the car up and down to do things. Nothing set in stone, but just an idea.

I have been seriously considering one of those too man they also have a portable one that looks like it would work great ....lift the car put on jackstands remove lift now you have full access to the underneath

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been seriously considering one of those too man they also have a portable one that looks like it would work great ....lift the car put on jackstands remove lift now you have full access to the underneath

I didn't really think about that. Get some tall SUV stands and you could probably drop the engine & tranny out of it as you please. It would pay for itself if you ever had to do it just once.

Only thing that sucks for me is that there is a damn support beam in the middle of my garage and it's only about 7 or 8 feet up. I'm 5'7" and can touch it, so it's not that high. I keep looking at it and while I wouldn't be able to get the full height out of the lift, I could get more than I could with a jack. I don't think $1300 is unreasonable for it either.

If I could drop the engine with that thing, oh boy! Hell, it would be worth it just for a header or k-member install. :beerchug2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back