Guidance with Ring Gear Install on Spool Please

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This illustrates OEM (right) and ARP (left) part number 250-3003 Ring Gear bolts.

The install instructions from Ford Racing and those provided by ARP are different.

Ford Instructions – apply 1/8 bead of Loctite 638 (red) around the rear face of the ring gear and tighten to 97-102 lb-ft. (no Loctite called for on bolt threads)

ARP Instructions – apply Loctite 242 (blue) to bolt threads and ARP Assembly Lube under the bolt heads and tighten to 85 ft-lbs.

What instructions should I follow or what is recommended?

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Every thing i have done with ARP has held up well, if it were me i would lock tight the bolts

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Follow arp. They are calling for less torque because the lube they give you reduces friction and you get the same clamp load they require, with less torque.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Follow arp. They are calling for less torque because the lube they give you reduces friction and you get the same clamp load they require, with less torque.

Make sense thanks!

Have never heard of putting Loctite on the mating surface and around the bolt holes as the FRPP instructions call for.

My plan is to follow the ARP instructions.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
638 isn't a thread locker. It is a cylindrical retaining compound. Never heard of anyone bonding the gear to the flange.

242 on the bolts has always worked for me.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet, spool is in my next upcoming mods.

Yes ARP hardware, use ARP specs.
I'm gonna check your build thread out.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Fwiw use WAY less loctite next time. See how it's mixing under the head on the installed bolt on the right? It only takes about a drop on a bolt that size. It will get smeared around the threads when she's bolted down

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fwiw use WAY less loctite next time. See how it's mixing under the head on the installed bolt on the right? It only takes about a drop on a bolt that size. It will get smeared around the threads when she's bolted down

Thanks yes, I saw it was too much when I looked at the pictures but by then it was too late. Wish my tired old eyes where 40 years younger and I would have caught it. Will be extra careful next time.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
What is the driveability on the street going to be like with a spool, especially in curves and turns? Never owned nor driven a car with one so I'm curious.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
What is the driveability on the street going to be like with a spool, especially in curves and turns? Never owned nor driven a car with one so I'm curious.
It's going to be shit if you're not careful.
Skipping around corners and have to not give it gas or the ass will swing out.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Tim will let you know when I find out in the spring. I have a younger friend that has a spool in his car and he says I will be fine. Only time will tell, at least my car is not a DD.

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
If you assembled it like that nut you have in the picture your torque specs are probably off. The assembly lube isn't even going to coat the threads that way, meaning you wouldn't use the lower torque number because the lube isn't on the threads. Thats a lot of loctite!

Driving a spool around town isn't that bad. I DD'd my 71 comet with a spool for a while. It drives like normal besides pulling into tight parking spots (drags the tire) and doing U turns (most effective way to do this is just to hit the gas and do a 180* mild burn out). I was going to put a spool in my Mach 1 but didn't want to go through the hassle of running c clip eliminators or going to 9" housing ends, dam 8.8 and its c clips.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you assembled it like that nut you have in the picture your torque specs are probably off. The assembly lube isn't even going to coat the threads that way, meaning you wouldn't use the lower torque number because the lube isn't on the threads. Thats a lot of loctite!

Driving a spool around town isn't that bad. I DD'd my 71 comet with a spool for a while. It drives like normal besides pulling into tight parking spots (drags the tire) and doing U turns (most effective way to do this is just to hit the gas and do a 180* mild burn out). I was going to put a spool in my Mach 1 but didn't want to go through the hassle of running c clip eliminators or going to 9" housing ends, dam 8.8 and its c clips.

Actually I followed the ARP instructions exactly, they call for Ultra-Torque Assembly Lube under the bolt head and Thread Locker on the threads. Having said that I clearly went overboard on the thread locker.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back