Rattle

xxdmxx

forum member
Reaction score
I'm getting a rattle around the passenger side rear at about 1750 RPM (Every gear but 5th). I've tried taking out the Shaker1000 subs and amps and it still causes the rattle. I've tried taping, zip tying, and even put cloth between the wires and exposed metal. The rattle is coming from the inside and can't be heard from the outside unless the window is open. Anyone ever experience this before and know how to fix? If not, any ideas what might be causing this?

Rampage

Reaction score
my map pocket was makeing alot of noise but it was only when the subs were hitting, i fixed it by putting my wallet in there to put a little pressure outward on the pocket....maybe it's the vibrations from the motor doing something similar....sorry thats all i got for you

vastang757

Reaction score
I know you said you can't hear it from the outside but check you exhaust hangers. They're probably rubbing against the bracket. Anything w/ less than 1/4" of space is probably the culprit. I had a rattle/squeak for about a month before I figured it out. Didn't matter if the windows were up or down you could hear it in the cabin and it sounded like it was coming from the trunk.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I had a passenger side rattle in the interior, ended up bieng the lil cover behind the door lever, you gotta pop it out and put sum behind it so the plastic doesnt make contact. Not sure if this is your problem but it seems a lot of S197's are experiencing this. Touch the cover with your finger, if it wiggles back and forth your prolly getting rattle from it while driving.

xxdmxx

forum member
Reaction score
I know you said you can't hear it from the outside but check you exhaust hangers. They're probably rubbing against the bracket. Anything w/ less than 1/4" of space is probably the culprit. I had a rattle/squeak for about a month before I figured it out. Didn't matter if the windows were up or down you could hear it in the cabin and it sounded like it was coming from the trunk.
Thanks I'll check this out. It sounds like it's coming from the trunk and I've been trying to find the noise for about 2 months now. What would I have to do to fix this?

white05

Reaction score
You might want to check your spare tire and jack. If the nut backed off you may be getting a rattle from that. Don't know if that could be heard from within the driver's compartment or not though.

vastang757

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check this out. It sounds like it's coming from the trunk and I've been trying to find the noise for about 2 months now. What would I have to do to fix this?

If you're able to, push the muffler a little further back. Or mess w/ the over axle pipe/mid pipe connection. Or if all else fails, try bending the hanger.

I listened to the noise on and off for over a month before I started looking for it. I found the issue when I was changing out my headers. I haven't had a single issue since.

G/L in finding your phantom rattle!

ninjadave

Reaction score
Agree on it being the exhaust hanger. My wife's 07 vert was rattling on the driver's side, just off and on. Had it at Ford twice, the exhaust shop that did the welding twice and no one could figure it out. Finally as I was pulling it in the garage it was making the noise so I got out and got under it and sure enough the exhaust hanger was rubbing against a metal part of the rear bumper. I just took a dremel to it and cut 1/4" off the bracket...no more noise!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back