Horn and SJB Questions

DBcooper

Reaction score
The horn on the steering wheel has not worked on my 05 GT since I bought the car. It does work when I push the lock button twice on the key fob. All of the fuses and relays are good (verified with multimeter). I cleaned the terminals on the steering wheel switch and everything associated with it seems to be working properly. I have no power at the horn when the steering wheel switch is pushed in. I figured there has to be something wrong with the clock spring so I changed it out with a new one but still no horn.

I was thinking I had a broken wire somewhere so I was going to try to determine if it was before or after the smart junction box. After removal of the SJB I found this:
IMG_0496.jpg

The broken connector is #39 on C2280b. This corresponds with "horn switch, control". I am 99.9% sure that this is my problem. My questions: is this something that can be fixed? If so, any ideas who to take it/send it to? I really don't want to buy a new SJB just to fix the horn if I don't have to. If it does come to a new SJB, will the installation be plug and play? Or will I have to have Ford reprogram?

Thanks for your help!

DBcooper

Reaction score
For reference, the plug with the broken pin is the one to the left of the fomoco sticker
IMG_0497.jpg

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Only way i can see to 'fix' that other than replacing the sjb is to open it up and replace the pin (or solder on an extension to the broken one).

It's gonna look something like this after you open it up, obviously with one of the pins much shorter than it should be.

You'd have to be pretty confident with finicky work from the looks of things.
493b7aff1faffd908416f9e94cc043fd.jpg

DBcooper

Reaction score
Only way i can see to 'fix' that other than replacing the sjb is to open it up and replace the pin (or solder on an extension to the broken one).

It's gonna look something like this after you open it up, obviously with one of the pins much shorter than it should be.

You'd have to be pretty confident with finicky work from the looks of things.
493b7aff1faffd908416f9e94cc043fd.jpg

Thank you for your help. I don’t have the guts to tear into that. But very good to know it can be fixed. Thank you!

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to call them tomorrow. I will update with the quote I’m given. Am I crazy hoping for around 100 bucks if I pay shipping both ways?
I had them rebuild the instrument clusters in my 06 mustang and 03 express van and iirc ran about $150 each including shipping and the best part was turn around time was 3 days.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I should check my SJB, I horn and headlights stopped working like a year or two ago and have never really looked into it.

Derby

Reaction score
Save yourself some trouble and replace the sjb. You can send yours out or buy a good used unit fairly cheap. Your sjb has obviously been exposed to water. I would find the leak/leaks to prevent further issues.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Save yourself some trouble and replace the sjb. You can send yours out or buy a good used unit fairly cheap. Your sjb has obviously been exposed to water. I would find the leak/leaks to prevent further issues.

Leaks have all been fixed. If I were to buy a used unit, would it need to be reprogrammed by ford?

Derby

Reaction score
I just replaced the sjb in my sons 07. Plug and play. Everything worked like it should. I did order the same part number if that makes any difference.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Just to update this thread - repairing my SJB would cost me well north of $200. With all the corrosion that it has, I was concerned that I would run into more problems in the future. I found a used one with the exact same part number on fleabay for $230 bucks shipped. I went ahead and jumped on it.

Seems pretty cheap compared to the $2400 that I was quoted by my local ford dealer haha.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Now I just need to figure out a way to get the broken pin out of the plug. Hopefully it isn't too hard to dig out

AnthonyBirge07

Reaction score
Use a toothpick and push it out of harness from the back , also when you reinstall the new sjb grab a 1 gallon zip lock bag and slice one side , put the sjb in the bag zip part on bottom and sliced side towards door it will keep any draining water from getting in and destroying the new one.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Just to update for anybody who may run into this problem in the future - the new SJB was indeed plug and play and it did fix the horn issue. I did have to reprogram the key fobs but that only takes about 30 seconds.

Next step - find out why the car keeps going through blower motor resistors

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="DBcooper, post: 2526156, member]
Next step - find out why the car keeps going through blower motor resistors[/QUOTE]
Probably the blower motor is drawing too much current.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back